Arsene Wenger: A Damaged Legacy?

My point was, Martial developed, striker or not.

£36 million transfer fee… young and can be developed.

How much we spent on Xhaka and Mustafi???

1 Like

Imagine having Martial in stead of Laca at this point.

Martial has fantastic footballing quality but he is lazy as a player and often cant be bothered. When united signed him for 40 mil we had Gnabry Sanchez oxlade walcott iwobi etc

2 Likes

I can’t imagine… because seems like none of the players we signed, was well developed or able to maintain their abilities afterwards.
Even if we could sign Messi, maybe he would end up like Jesse (Lingard).

So basically we had a shit decision and mismanagement.

Has Martial developed enough to justify 40m in transfer fee, 10-15m in wages, and years of mere potential?

I don’t think so.

I think yes, in compare to Theo and Ox.
He is only 24 and still have lots of room to improve.

2 Likes

Compared to those two, anyone would look great

You included Iwobi on the list of wide players that we had…
Another one inferior to Martial.

Basically he should be just behind Sanchez and share the other wide position with Gnabry.
Even sometimes Sanchez was put upfront as long striker, definitely Martial should have a place with us.

Not particularly.

As @BigWeng_4LYFE and AbouCuellar have pointed out in the past, Theo wasn’t all bad. It was only towards the end of his time with Arsenal that we all got sick of him.

Even a slight upgrade on Theo (in Martial) would have done us good.

What I will say, in defence of the anti-Martial argument, is that he does seen a “form” player as opposed to “class”. He’s currently doing well because Manchester United are doing well. We can’t really be doing with players who drop their heads

3 Likes

Exactly my issue with Martial as a player. For the amount spent on him at the time, amount of money & time spent on him since then, he isn’t really a particularly special player and better players have come since for lesser cost.

The amount we sold Iwobi, Theo and Ox…
Martial’s value is right.

It’s not just about the money.
There is no output.

How many years did it take for him to reach a reasonable level? 5 years.

I don’t know how you measure “output”.
Obviously he was used as a rotation/subs for quite a period of time.
In 5 seasons, he manged to score in double digit twice (he scored 9 in one season) in the league.
Not a penalty taker, not taking free kicks…
I think he numbers are pretty decent.

I don’t know. I expect better for the money and time spent.
People say he was rotational sub or whatever, the thing is if United had better players worthy of being United players, he would still be a rotational player.

Do you think Martial would be a starter at City, Liverpool?

Better players? I doubt
Who? Jesse Lingard?

Being a starter or not at City/Liverpool is irrelevant.
Martial never had a chance to play there and nothing can be proved.

You think a player who struggled with United’s bunch of players could get a starting role with City & Liverpool?

No fucking chance

I am not saying he could get a starting job at City/Liverpool, at least he has a chance to develop under better managers. Look at Sterling/Sane at City and Arnold at Pool.

There could be many reasons why he struggles at United, not necessarily because he is not good enough.

59 posts were merged into an existing topic: Arsène Wenger

Damaged
Take away the Emirates
What has he left on the pitch to power us on and achieve European glory ?