Arsenal Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers (PL)

I never want us to lose except when I want us to lose :grin:

1 Like

Iā€™ll remember this post, for when we donā€™t.

We will ultimately finish much higher than where we are. Maybe lower total goals than recent years due to our deficient starting point to improve from.

Thatā€™s a very brave assumption, I hope you are right, but I have to be honest here, I think that is VERY wishful thinkingā€¦

At this stage I only see it going one of two ways. Either we gradually get worse and worse until there is no choice but to fire Arteta or something, somehow clicks and we start producing coherent attacking football again and the results follow.

I certainly wouldnā€™t have faith in betting on option two right now.

5 Likes

I just cannot see Arteta having the skills or the knowledge to get us playing better footballā€¦ Aside from a couple of games, we have looked lethargic, void of any ideas, and woefully inept all over the pitchā€¦ If we persist with Arteta I can only see a bottom half finish, thatā€™s being optimistic!

Even when I wanted Wenger and Emery gone I still didnā€™t want us to lose a game and that applies to Arteta too but if, as a consequence he gets the sack because of it, then I would consider a few points lost as better in the long run for the club.

Only if we get a proper manager.
Out of interest, what would you consider much higher?
For me, any top half finish with Arteta would be a success for him and, as for us possibly getting our lowest goals tally, I stand by what I said.

If we were seeing glimpses of great play but losing because the opposition got lucky, that might happen.
But, realistically, the performances are getting worse and the few matches we are winning have been unconvincing.
If we carry on playing the same way he might lose the dressing room.

The only way for Arteta to change this s if he has a complete turn around and gets the players playing less defensively and also picking the best players in their best positions.

To carry on only scoring an average of less than a goal a game in the PL, is going to frustrate the players as well as the supporters.
He is lucky there are none in the Emirates because Iā€™m pretty sure there would be plenty of abuse thrown his way.

1 Like

Yeah, obviously. But you have to just think that that wonā€™t always be the case. Even if Arteta stays, weā€™re surely not going to go through the whole season like that.

1 Like

Yea, as I went on to say in the rest of my post I donā€™t seem that to be the likely scenario of the two.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen any game, since when we beat Fulham, to suggest that he is going to turn it round.
He seems bereft of ideas and is just sticking to the same tactics every game.
Itā€™s not as if the players arenā€™t good enough because we are being beaten by teams with very few players that would get in our first team.
There are also managers that are either new at their club or new to the PL, and most of them donā€™t seem to be struggling as much.

He really has to beat Wolves, with a good performance because if he doesnā€™t, spurs and Mourinho are going to have a field day against us.

1 Like

But this is what I mean. Unless Arteta is specifically saying ā€œdo not score any goalsā€ I donā€™t see how we canā€™t improve in that area. I get that tightening up at the back can take away a bit from the front, but surely not to this extent when you have decent players ā€“ including the guy whoā€™s always been in contention for the golden boot.

Iā€™m still hoping itā€™s a blip. A slightly long one, lol.

2 Likes

I think the one concession you have too consider is the lack of pre season.
Itā€™s been telling on the whole League but was vital from the planning and coaching stage for Arteta. Certainly as he seems a very specific and analytical type of coach.
I might be reaching a bit here but it could only of helped.

3 Likes

No it makes sense. This whole year of Artetaā€™s tenure has obviously been far from ideal.

And on the subject of other teams, obviously as Arsenal fans we just concentrate on our own failings. But we still are only 5 points from the top 4. Aside from a few teams, no one has has form. Itā€™s so hard to predict most matches, and because of that I think we can still be a little optimistic that weā€™ll finish higher than we currently are.

2 Likes

Should be a routine win (for Wolves)

Although Iā€™m sad I missed my sons thriving last night.

5 Likes

I see that Artetas first 29 prem games have 11 points less than the first 29 from Dick Emery and form has only got worse as the squad improves eg Partey and Gabriel.

So Iā€™d like to think we can scrape a win but I donā€™t feel good about this.

Another poor performance and Iā€™ll lose all remaining hope in Arteta.

3 Likes

This is a team that has an intelligent manager, players that are willing to take risks, a very good team structure, who defend pretty well, and they attack with pace and skillā€¦So, easy 2 or 3 nil win for Wolves hereā€¦I genuinely cannot see us troubling them, and they will cause untold problemsā€¦
Sadly being below Wolves, is now our levelā€¦ :unamused:

I donā€™t think youā€™ve watched much of Wolves this year.

Theyā€™re pretty dull this season and they have an identical record to us in terms of goals scored and goals conceded.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right, I havenā€™t watched them at allā€¦All I know is, they have the better managerā€¦So, win for Wolves.

0-0

2 Likes

Yep Glads, deffo got that feel for me.

My tip for the day is definitely 0-0 at half time.

3 Likes