Arsenal vs Sporting (EL) Out

we should get the job done in first half so players are fresh and ready for sunday,

Use this as preparation for sunday. Go full strength and substitute in when a 2 goal lead is established.
Too many changes and we get a clunky performance gives them a chance as we seen with the mistakes last week.

2 Likes

Yeah agreed, get a nice lead in the first half and then make 3-5 key subs so we can save some players for Palace and then they can take a deserved rest over the international break.

2 Likes

Saka could do with a rest.

Trossard should be picked to start tonight then come off for Jesus after 60 mins. Then do the reverse against Palace on Sunday with Jesus starting.

Martinelli will probably be the one who stays in the team. I want to start Smith Rowe but heā€™s not looked sharp so far. Maybe tonight he will click into gear.

4 Likes

Donā€™t know why we donā€™t just do this every game tbh.

3 Likes

I would like it if we made our subs a bit earlier, sometimes I feel like Arteta keeps the players on a bit too long

Yeah I think thatā€™s one way in which fans and players/coaches think quite differently about the game.

If a fan was in charge Bukayo Saka would never be allowed to play football unless it was Premier League game and there was a maximum of a one goal margin involved.

6 Likes

Went to the Wenger School of Substitutions.

Yeah I get that the realities of football are different but I donā€™t understand playing our best players into ground every game even if weā€™re a couple of goals up.

I understand that ESR coming on for Martinelli can change our shape or whatever, but if weā€™re winning 3-0 against Palace or whatever with 30 minutes to go, then come on ffs

In fairness against Fulham, he went pretty aggressive with the substitutions. In tight games where we are dictating the tempo, like say Newcastle at home. I can appreciate why he doesnā€™t really want to shake things up too much.

However he has more tools at his disposal now and his subs lately have been more than spot on especially when you consider how clutch a few of our recent wins have been.

1 Like

Finally had a ticket in the basket for the first time in months but bottled paying Ā£90 for this game and sitting in club tbh.

Now itā€™s gone, canā€™t decide if Iā€™m gutted or not lol

1 Like

Canā€™t argue with the way the team dispatched Fulham a few days after the 2-2 away leg.

Saka and White looked knackered towards the end of the first leg and subsequently looked a little off it on Sunday, but thereā€™s clearly something in preparing the players to be on it 2-3 times a week. The standard is rising all the time here as is the quality of these players. Really canā€™t complain.

Iā€™m still hoping Saka doesnā€™t have to start the game and the likes of Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Vieira can finish the job on home soil. But thatā€™s mainly my fear of burnout/injury before our many more important games to come. Simply have to back and trust in whatever the manager goes with these days.

Wouldnā€™t worry too much, mate. A lot of fans I know are of the feeling that if they can get to only one game in this probably historic season, itā€™s a big win

Exactly this . I can never understand why managers donā€™t go strong , get 2-3 goals up then make the changes. Surely itā€™s better to have the game won than chasing a draw or getting the win then throwing the big guns on?

1 Like

Been refreshing like a nutter for 2 hours, finally got one for Ā£22 now.

Worked out well, going to the game Ā£70 in profit.

4 Likes

Would keep the regular CB pairing but rotate at full back. ESR and Vieira in there somewhere with Jorginho starting ahead of Partey. Wouldnā€™t surprise me if Jesus gets a start.

Are we doing that?

1 Like

At times it felt like players like Saka and Martinelli were staying on the pitch longer than necessary

By our (cos I have though this at times too) eye-test maybe, but I am sure the club have enough stats on the players bodies, recovery, performance, etc. that Arteta is better placed than any of us to know whether or not a player should be on the pitch or subbed, within the overall need within that specific game

1 Like

Thinking of it though the first team didnā€™t really have to exert themselves at Fulham on Sunday and with the international break on the horizon, maybe fitness wonā€™t come into play here. The boys should be raring to go.