Arsenal transfers 23/24

I don’t know how Saliba didn’t get loaned to a Premier League club if we’re not going to play him. Everything about this is just so wrong.

2 Likes

Too many overreactions here.

Saliba is 20 years old and he still is very rough as a talent. He’s not gonna come in next season, start besides Gabriel and immediately form a partnership for us to challenge with.

Yes, they fucked up last year. I expected him to not be given a starting position having watched him at Saint-Etienne but not registering him in the squad and then not loaning him was dumb.
Still, we don’t really know what the plan is for him now. He seems to be getting his confidence in France and his mistakes go unnoticed.

Would you really be mad if we bring in a world-class CB to replace Luiz and Holding?
Saliba can then properly fill in as backup and slowly get integrated into the team.

1 Like

Yes, I would be.

A world class CB is going to be very expensive. We’d be shopping around for another guy in the Partey range in both age and price. That’s yet another transfer and contract that has to pay off because a signing like that costs so much.

And the team is just at the start of a rebuild cycle without a defined style of play. Are we a 4-2-3-1? A 4-3-3? A 3-4-3? Who the fuck knows? Arteta certainly doesn’t know.

I’m failing to see the logic in allowing him another vanity purchase after he whiffed so badly on Willian last summer. If he wants a world class CB why doesn’t he…oh I don’t know, fucking coach the guy we already have signed who is supposed to have world class potential. As someone else pointed out up the thread, he seems have inherited the Pep disease of always believing there’s a ball playing CB out there who can do it just a little better than the guys we already have and if he could just get that guy in, the whole system will click. When in reality, the way Liverpool built that team and bought VVD at the end, makes way more sense. The time to buy that generational world class CB was in 2007 when we were a world class CB away from actually winning shit.

1 Like

So will a world-class RB. Mind you, there are not many RBs out there that are available and are worth the money their clubs will ask for.

The current CB market is more promising and it makes more sense to invest there. Hell, the best CB of the last decade is available and wants to join a Premier League club this summer.
Very important to win the EL to even consider him but there’s always chance to poach him given the right offer and potential platform (PL+CL).

Per BBC gossip:
Everton are interested in Juventus and Turkey defender Merih Demiral, 23. (Calciomercato - in Italian)

Demiral is always world class potential on FM, any good in real life?

The signings last window bar perhaps William perhaps weren’t bad signings though, they were pretty good.

Looks like Tuchel is getting the best out of Jorginho right now too.

2 Likes

I believe all three rumours to have some truth to them. The rumoured full backs all have the ‘right’ passports.

Arsenal may have watched Plea but at 28, he’d be the wrong type of signing. He doesn’t necessarily improves us in the now and will likely decline physically in a few years.

Only positive is with 1 year left on his deal, Plea could be acquired cheaply.

Here’s the source btw.

Sounds like a lot of guesswork. Buchanan does fit the bill that Ornstein described though. Younger left-back to serve as a protégé to Tierney.

Wouldn’t mind him at all.

I watched a lot of BMG this year because of ESPN+, weird season for them. They absolutely shit the bed for a while after Rose announced he was leaving. Plea never really impressed me but Denis Zakaria always seemed solid. I think he usually partners Mr. Housekeys for Switzerland.

1 Like

So do you want to come to Arsenal or not? :bellerin:

5 Likes

I’m so over the hard on so many players have for Madrid even when the club and the fans treat them quite poorly.

4 Likes

Apart from this season Aubameyang seems quite durable. Then you have two younger strikers who can/should play. But we would still sign Plea? That is just wasting resources.

1 Like

Letting Arteta carry on here next season is bad enough but giving him the biggest transfer budget any Arsenal manager has ever had would be a big mistake.

It means that, when the board do eventually come to their senses and realise that he isn’t good enough, they will have to get a proper manager who will have to work with the players that Arteta has bought.

2 Likes

So if Arteta stays, we shouldn’t improve our squad at all and should keep all these shit players that got us 10th?

Yeah that doesn’t sound right to me.

8 Likes

But if he can only finish mid table behind clubs with far worse squads than us, why should he be given that much money?

I’m not saying don’t give him a budget but to give him a record breaking amount is just a waste and it will have to be repaired by whoever comes after him.

Just give a proper manager 120m and let them build on what we have rather than Arteta who will just buy decent players and play them out of position.

1 Like

Every transfer window: #AFC looking for a CB

We will soon complete our mission of fielding an 8-1-1 formation

1 Like

Terry Neil and Don Howe would love this. Honestly if we had bigger squads while they were around no CB would ever have been loaned out. Signed a striker and 2 weeks later swap him for a left back. Great days. (Not).

1 Like

I remember that.
It was a bit weird that Allen signed for us but never played.
But we get Sansom so it worked out pretty well for us, it’s shame we couldn’t have had both.

We needed a striker more though at the time. Rumour was QPR didn’t want to sell to Palace direct as their was a rivalry at the time.
We went on pre season and then arranged the set up.

I can’t remember who we had upfront then.
Was it Mariner and just before we got Nicholas from Celtic?