Arsenal Football Club History

We could go toe to toe with anyone in Europe around that time. Italian team were hard to beat but Wenger had a good record in that period. Juventus, Roma and Inter were all put to the sword at various stages

2 Likes

Before my time but it seems we were painfully inconsistent in Europe. We could put an elite team to bed (I believe we laid the smackdown on Serie A champions Lazio the year before) then just fail to turn up on other occasions.

In the era of double group stages it just means you kept getting knocked out.

That group the game is referring to ended like this:

Arsenal and Juventus getting bumped out :laca: tough group in hindsight. Leverkusen were finalist that year.

2 Likes

Mate, we could have finished that group with 10 points (beaten a weakened Juve side in the last game in the group if we put the effort in) and still gone out.

It was unique.

We were getting our away form together and better in that particular CL campaign, too.

We would have played Man Utd in the semis and Real in the final in that season so I wouldnt have fancied our chances anyway lol.

2 Likes

We should have been 9 points after 4 games if we didn’t give up a last minute equaliser in Leverkusen.

Still my fav season as an Arsenal fan though despite the European failing.

3 Likes

This reminded me of some blogs I did for She Wore a few years back, have a read if you fancy, links below

That was peak Auba for Arsenal.

6 Likes

It’s only a couple of seasons ago but the only player from that team who still starts for us, is Xhaka, assuming Tierney isn’t going to start many games.

It’s a shame that such is an underwhelming player like Xhaka, who is so unpredictable, is still a fixture in the first team.

1 Like

Really was a remarkable cup win when you consider our level that season.

5 Likes

Deadline day being the Friday before the season started was a great idea. Shame they axed it after just one season

It wouldn’t have suited Wenger as his only transfer strategy was to sell all his best players, then panic buy after the first few games because we’d thrown away too many points.

Going into every season unprepared, with worse players than the previous season, was the way Wenger liked to do his transfer business. :grinning:

1 Like
8 Likes

Omg omg

Sheffield Wednesday’s promotion clash with whooo :cry:

6 Likes

I will NEVER tire of watching that goal :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I just have zero time for any of the memories of the Arsenal teams around that period because of how overwhelmingly disappointing they were.

All I associate those teams with is boring possession football, diabolical defensive organisation and having a really soft underbelly.

Beautiful goal but one of the few really beautiful moments in those years. Way too many unnecessary failures.

8 Likes

Fuck that was 9 years ago!!

That makes me feel a bit sick

2 Likes
2 Likes

8 Likes

Oirish

1 Like