Arsenal Football Club History

I don’t

2 Likes

I only liked it for the knowledgeable piece of history gentlemen

3 Likes

I went to Highbury for loads of games that season.
The combined cost of the whole of our squad that season cost us less than the wages of what any Man City player will earn this season.

Having success is something to be admired.
Buying success takes the shine off it.

5 Likes
10 Likes

Just watched highlights again of that 1st 2008 CL vs Liverpool, fuck it’s a travesty we didn’t win that 3-1.

The non penalty call on Hleb when Kuyt impeded him was a fucking disgrace.

Then NB52 blocking Cesc’s goal bound effort from an offside position, you legit couldn’t make that shit up.

2 Likes

The ending to the very last ITV premier league highlights show to go with the last time we won the league.

Did enjoy the itv coverage even if it was for only a few seasons. Great intro music, Des Lynam, Townsend’s tactics truck. Seem to remember them attempting an earlier timeslot though which caused huge uproar at the time :grin:. Obviously helped my nostalgia about the show coinciding with one of our most successful periods.

3 Likes

Yep 7pm on a Saturday night…I still don’t know how they managed to show the tea time kick off in the highlights lol (although that was on ITV Digital, so they had the best of both worlds)

I enjoyed the intro and the programme a lot more than Match of the Day as well.

2 Likes

Wonder how they settled on a U2 song and what the other options were :grin:

MmmBop by Hanson and Ooh Ahh Just a Little Bit by Gina G.

I love that everyone in that picture were wearing hats

1 Like

:rofl:.

As well as a suit and tie. :grinning:

1 Like

I haven’t enjoyed MOTD for about 10 years or more now, and can’t even recall the last I watched it. So it’s kinda refreshing remembering the highlights on ITV, helps that it was during my childhood and when we were actually good!

2 Likes
5 Likes

12 Likes

Bergkamp and Platt in the same transfer window, then he gets Wenger, as well as world class players, and we go on to be a top European club.
Anyone doubting Dein’s influence for the good of the club only needs to know this.

Compare that to what happened after he left.

10 Likes

Arsenal Football Club miss David Dein
Losing Dein was a bad loss

6 Likes

Honestly the Bergkamp swoop is only slightly better than ‘Spurs set for 4.5m Armstrong deal’ and Hansen ‘Man Utd reliant kids’. Actually the latter is probably the best. I remember than on MOTD ‘you can’t win anything with kids’

3 Likes
6 Likes

I read that there were riots in the streets around Highbury when it was announced that the local council had refused permission for a statue of “Dodgy the Dodgster” Dodgin, to be erected after his sensational performance.

1 Like