Arsenal Football Club History

Not really a highlight, but this happened on the same day.

Greatest manager we ever had, Georgie Graham.

First ever shoot out in a European Final this. Terrible way for Liam Brady to leave that miss.

There used to be an incredibly strange stat back in the day that if England or any English team in Europe had a penalty shootout on the left hand side of the TV screen, the team (England/English team) would invariably lose. If it was on the right hand side of the screen, they’d win.

In my mind, this pattern went on for a long, long time.

That’s not a stat. Just saying.

1 Like

Phenomenon. Coincidence. Whatever you want to call it.

I think you will find that’s trivia dave. @shamrockgooner has constantly pulled me up on this and I have now learned the difference :sunglasses:

6 Likes

On this day in 2004.

4 Likes
1 Like

Brilliant video.

Almost as his video on the eve of the Cup final between us and Chelsea

1 Like

So I thought I’d list these (@Stroller please feel free to add/delete/correct me on this one)

1980 Valencia v ARSENAL (left hand side) L
1990 West Germany v ENGLAND (LHS) L
1995 Sampdoria v ARSENAL (RHS) W
1996 Germany v ENGLAND (LHS) L
1998 Argentina v ENGLAND (LHS) L
2000 Galatasaray v ARSENAL (LHS) L
2004 Portugal v ENGLAND (LHS) L
2005 AC Milan v LIVERPOOL (RHS) W
2006 Portugal v ENGLAND (LHS) L
2009 Roma v ARSENAL (RHS) W
2018 Colombia v ENGLAND (LHS) W (the exception to the rule)

Wasn’t sure where to put this

Screenshot_20200515-220213

2 Likes

Sad news.

Great full back. I know he was homeless a few years back, too.

I pray he gets back to full health

England v Spain 96 was RHS I thought.

1 Like

I’ve never seen Highbury east stand in green before!

6 Likes

Santi scoring that free kick has to be one of my favourite arsenal memories :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Wish I was old enough to remember the 89 & 91 Arsenal title winning sides, I’d have loved to go through seasons barely conceding any goals.

1 Like

You know Arsenal beat Liverpool, right?

1 Like

I went to a lot of games when Graham was manager and although it wasn’t the best attacking football to watch it was always good to know that there would be very few defensive mistakes.

The defensive unit of Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Adams and Bould, and the defending from set pieces, was the best I’ve seen from any team.
We were the most tactically disciplined side in the league and we did rely a lot on the long ball game to get our goals but it was effective.

It was great to see so many clean sheets, especially when we were winning trophies but supporters were getting fed up with a lack of spending as well as the lack of entertaining football.

Apart from when he bought Wright, Graham rarely bought top flair players and in his last few signings of attacking players like Helder, Carter, Jensen, Schwarz, Kimwomya etc, didn’t do much to get the supporters excited so he was forced out after conveniently being caught taking a bung.

Saying that, he won two League titles, the FA Cup, two League Cups, the European Cup Winners Cup, as well as losing finalists in the European Cup Winners Cup and League Cup, in only eight seasons, which not many other managers have done.

1 Like

Talking of 89, for those who don’t care for Bayern, tomorrow evening on ITV

5 Likes