Arsenal Football Club History

:grin:

He was the type of ref that was only too happy to allow United, and other teams, to rough us up.

Even the commentators, brooking and motson, getting on my tits. Scholes kicks the ball into Laurens balls after fouling him and both questioning why heā€™s in agony :man_shrugging:t2:

Spotted on facebook

Safe to say Pearce got that one wrong :grin:

4 Likes

At that point in time, though, Pearce had a point.

Collymore is the biggest ā€œwhat ifā€ England ever had. Itā€™s comparable with fully fit Gazza ā€œwhat ifā€.

Shoot me down if you have to, but Stan had every reason to be as good as Henry.

1 Like

Where more people feeling like Bergkamp was a waste of money at the time? If not itā€™s safe to conclude Pearce was full of shit.

I think initially there probably were quite a lot of people in England saying similar things, he did take a while to get going. I was a bit too young to say 100%, but itā€™s definitely the vibe I get from a lot of listening to people talk about nineties football and Bergkampā€™s very early days. Iā€™ve also heard similar about Collymore as well, in terms of the player people thought heā€™d become and how talented he was. So I get what DH is saying, even if history has clearly proven Pearce to be totally wrong.

3 Likes

Collymore was worth more than Bergkamp at the time, was proven Premiership quality and was young.

So, yeah, safe to say Pearce wasnā€™t full of shit :+1:

1 Like

Did people know Bergkamp was voted 3rd for Ballon dā€™or and World Player of the Year in '93? The proven Premiership quality argument is shit now and I canā€™t imagine it wasnā€™t shit 25/30 years ago. Collymore was from 1971ā€¦Bergkamp from 1969. I think bad judgements were made.

2 Likes

People only knew Bergkamp for effectively knocking England out of World Cup qualification.

I think the next time we saw him on terrestrial telly was when Inter knocked Norwich out of the UEFA Cup. (Unless you were @SRCJJ and watched Serie A on ch4)

I donā€™t really think thereā€™s a discussion to be had here. We all know Bergkamp is Arsenalā€™s greatest ever foreign player (or at least in the top 3). It was the right decision in the end

3 Likes

Collymore should of been a legend but let himself down.
Never gave himself a real chance. Bergkamp looked a signing that wasnā€™t going to work at one time.
Didnā€™t have the greatest body language at the time and was coming off an unenjoyable time from Inter. Plenty started having concerns at the time as not many overseas players had become established at that time.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure SRCJJ is my age, if Iā€™m right, he was five years old when we signed Bergkamp. He didnā€™t know much about him either Iā€™d guess haha

4 Likes

So basicallyā€¦people had no idea about him? That indeed makes any discussion pointless.

@Stroller of course. England just came out of the Heysel suspension and I think the English League wasnā€™t as attractive for the better foreign players in the early 90s. Bergkamp/Ginola, Cantona before them started that.

1 Like

Weird thing to say (swear Iā€™m not a stalker) but the hair on the top left in the JVC shirt reminds me of @JakeyBoy :joy:

Iā€™ve worked out what SD stands for @arsenescoatmaker

Stan Doggymore

2 Likes

Haha, not the worst shout ever. Wish I owned that shirt heā€™s wearing not gonna lie

1 Like

All this talk of Collymore reminds me of this absolute classic radio moment.

ā€œChelseaā€™sā€¦ey, errrā€¦a Chelsea fan from Norwichā€¦ā€

1 Like

I read the first sentence of this with dread but it ended the right way.

Yea you donā€™t understand the landscape back then. Collymore was looking like the original Ronaldo and Bergy had flopped at Inter and wasnā€™t doing it for us initially. If Collymore had the dedication heā€™d be world class. If you look at Collymoreā€™s best goals on youtube you can get an idea of what he should have become

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: Iā€™m enjoying watching goals from players I wasnā€™t around at the time to see

2 Likes

A fitting tribute and win the day of Rockyā€™s passing:

2 Likes

Goosebumps

1 Like