Arsenal Football Club History

Last time we won the league title I couldn’t legally buy a beer, fuck this shit.

5 Likes

07/08 was all on us and our under spending and persistence with Almunia (for example) cost us too. Pissing around in the transfer mark etc etc etc.

2 Likes

The last time we won the league I couldn’t buy a beer legally for another 6 years :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for making me feel old cunt.

1 Like

If I remember Stroller, did the same thing happen to Peter Martinello?
I seem to recall a young player with that surname.

I remember him.
Peter Marinello, I think it was.
He was supposed to be the next George Best but turned out to be more George The Third, [rhyming slang]
He did party a bit but wasn’t involved with drugs or anything like that.

Vaessen was a tragic case of an addictive personality and too much money and fame for a young man.
If it wasn’t for his injuries he could have become a decent player.
Great shame.

1 Like

Yeah as @InvincibleDB10 says he didnt help the big time to well. Crashed out the game and blew his money and got involved with a few shady dealings but survived and wrote a book about it all.

Here’s something I never knew. We won the league at stamford bridge. Twice. In successive seasons!

6 Likes

@Mysty knew. He was there!

5 Likes

The interview with Chapman mixed in that article is brilliant to read. 5 titles in a decade truly was our golden generation as a club.
brilliant posting this one @shamrockgooner

1 Like

Brilliant.
That’s Old Trafford, White Hart Lane and Stamford bridge in our kitty.

You have forgot the most famous one :wink:

1 Like

Oh shit yes we did it at Anfield as well.

We are awesome

1 Like

“Champions of winning the league at our rivals’ grounds, you’ll never sing that”

2 Likes

Nice to see/read of Manchester United being relegated to Division 3 in the same season we won the league

1 Like
8 Likes

I remember recording the MOTD highlights of that match onto video, was so great to witness my first title as an Arsenal fan :smiley: Watched it quite regularly for a while. Good days. Overmars was in superb form that day.

The commentary for that goal gives me goosebumps every time. The absurdity of the goal makes it even better - Bould putting through Adams? And the finish?

Magnificent moment in our history and one of my favourites.

2 Likes

I was in Highbury for that one, it was the culmination of my first season as a season ticket holder.

Remember my dad and all his mates stressing to 8 year old me that winning the league was rare and might not happen again, and that I shouldn’t expect this again.

Only some time after 2006 did that realism/pessimism start to make sense :expressionless:

3 Likes

My dad had to take my brother and I down a pub to watch it. It looked like Moe’s Tavern