Arsenal Financials

Truth is,

Until our owners show the same level of support Liverpool’s owners have in terms of allowing Arsenal to spend money more than the reported £40m only then we will be a competitive side.

The Arsenal way, the Arsenal tradition and so on won’t work in the modern game anymore. We need money, we need a bid from a stakeholder/company just like. Manchester City.

We have fallen behind the top 4 clubs - whether it’s quality on the pitch, consistency, structure/recruitment etc.

Should we not make wise signings in the next 2 seasons then I firmly believe that we will soon become a club that will finish in the top 8 rather than top 6.

Likes of Leicester City, Everton, Wolves etc are well run clubs and they are not afraid to spend big or make signings that will them competitive; they could catch up very soon just how Spurs have.

2 Likes

I think this is what @sevchenko meant with the overreactions.

1 Like

Why do Everton always get seen as a well run club. They never do anything and are struggling to keep pace with other teams like Wolves and Leicester. West Ham are the other frauds that people throw in the mix on this.
Seriously the both of them are banter clubs who are cliched to hell by the media.

1 Like

I think it’s the ownership stuff with Everton tbh. Moshiri, possible Usmanov involvement. If you pomp enough money into it you come out on top.

No signs of anything happening yet and Liverpool winning the CL makes it harder again. They have Theo though. . .

We were higher in netspend than Pool on average for last 7 years combined.

Liverpool’s owners have put over 100 million of their own money into the club though I think.

Yeah not really sure what that is about, but guessing it is loan of some sort, but they also had substantially higher profits last financial year.

Bottom line, we spent more on net transfers…

Also, the notion that we were massively disadvantaged b/c Liverpool spent more than us on transfers in the period leading up to the last 7 years (where we have spent more than them net combined) is a myth.

In 2004 we finished 25 points above them
In 2005 we finished 5 points below them
In 2006 we finished even on points with them
In 2007 we finished 7 points above them
In 2008 we finished 12 points below them
In 2009 we finished 12 points above them
In 2010 we finished 10 points above them
In 2011 we finished 18 points above them
In 2012 we finished 12 points above them

I really don’t see how anyone can argue that we didn’t have a better team going into that period and a more valuable squad, particularly when you factor in the invincibles in 2004.

Just face it people, we plain f*ing sucked at buying and selling (and scouting), developing, and managing contracts compared to Liverpool and Spurs (and probably Chelsea).

1 Like

I find it funny you’ve listed all those years as the year the season started rather than finished, kind of irrelevant but just something I picked up haha.

Yeah I never know how to think about it… I think that is how they refer to it, but yeah it is the year season started… so I basically included the 7-8 years before the recent 7 year period plus the first year of that period (ie., 2012-2013 to 2018-2019).

1 Like

did you consider the idea that we just had a better manager than them lol, not arguing that we were shite in transfers mind. I mean we’ve finished above United every year since SAF left except last year which Moumou called his biggest achievement, and they outspent us like it was perpetual black friday

1 Like

It is a factor to consider, but I think all of us can agree the #1 variable in points total is quality of squad… there aren’t really any indications going into 2011/2012 that they had a BETTER squad, are there? A more valuable squad?

Fact is, we f*ing blew it from 2012, while spending and investing a lot more, we have simply declined relatively.

No I don’t think we had a better squad. Perhaps in the 07/08 period up to a couple of years after but then slowly we lost that. I think Liverpool and scum managed to get a couple of real high-sellers for their economic bracket, like Coutinho and Suarez, or Modric and Bale, and they could go for several times an entire year’s transfer budget, so when looking over a few years that would play in. We however seem to not get any player like that coming through, and do stellar stuff like selling our top scorer to United instead lol

1 Like

That year we had RVP, Rosicky, Arteta, Koss, Per, Very, Sagna, Diary, Ramsey, Song, Wilshere, Arshavin, etc. and I’m not even including Ox or Theo who we sold.

They weren’t demonstrably better or more valuable… they had a 17 year old Sterling (who they sold well) and Suarez (who they sold brilliantly). And captain G.

Look at the squad lists - at worst one could say we were relatively even and equal value, but the evidence of points totals suggests otherwise.

well after RvP and Rosicky and maybe Kos in that list I don’t think many rate any of the rest of the players particularly better than any other 4th ish placed team in a top league in Europe.

1 Like

Look at theirs… it isn’t better and is probably worse.

Well I’d say neutrals would call it fairly even. Gerrard shat on anything in our midfield, Suarez and RvP were in the same bracket (Suarez had his hit season after RvP had his), we had slightly better defenders and the worst keeper in the history of the club, and they had a spanish NT keeper and worse defenders bar Carra. I don’t know man, not that big of a difference to me.

1 Like

Even is fine - that still means we weren’t massively disadvantaged, doesn’t it? And we were in top 4, so had a financial and attraction edge too.

My point was dispelling the idea that we were in this horrible position going into the last 7 years - the facts don’t bear that out. And yet we out net spent Pool the last 7 years and people are blaming spending.

It is f*ING EXECUTION PEOPLE.

1 Like