André Onana

Leno better sign a new deal or things will look very silly for Arteta/Edu who have botched the position strategically

2 Likes

The “news” seems to just be that Onana and Lyon have supposedly agreed terms, but the clubs still don’t have an agreement. So kind of a nothingburger and I’m skeptical about Onana choosing Lyon in the end as how much could they really be offering him? They have only a few players over 60k per week. And their current GK is one of those players and still has two years left on his deal.

1 Like

For a guy who was one of the best up and coming keepers a year ago it is a bit strange how Arsenal have turned their interest elsewhere and Inter is only considering him for next summer.

Maybe there’s more to it.

3 Likes

Highlighting this again.
Arguably the biggest bargain of the market and he is gonna join Lyon for 5-10m?
There’s something fishy about this.

3 Likes

Well yeah. He got caught for doping and his reputation is probably ruined because of it. I reckon it’s not a coincedence they want to sign him whilst Bosz is their new coach. Who worked with him before.

This Dutch guy (the original source, no idea if he is trustworthy) says Ajax want 10m. Sounds like they aren’t really that close to agreeing a fee with Lyon.

My wild ass guess is that the split-the-baby ruling on Onana’s suspension made this a more difficult situation for many potential buyers. If he had been suspended for the full year (ie, not even allowed to resume training until next February), then you’re clearly just buying him for the future and Onana himself would have no reasonable illusions about playing much next year. If the suspension had been lifted, then you could buy him to be your #1 next year or to start as backup and compete for the job. But with the split-the-baby decision you still need to go into next year with both a starter and backup keeper, but then he’ll understandably not want to sit on the bench all year but instead probably wants to go to a club where he stands a good chance of playing once eligible in November.

Gazump them, Edu you fuck.

5 Likes

This is an absolute open goal. Fucking sign the drug taking bastard.

10 Likes

Why sign a keeper who likes to keep balls out when you can sign a HG one that loves to throw them in his own net :brain:

3 Likes

Curious case of Andre Onana.

1 Like

always think of the rhiannah song when I see his name

3 Likes

Really? He makes you think of Umbrella? So random.

6 Likes

I would be happy with Onana over Ramsdale…only problem is his ban which runs to November, so just got to hope that Leno remains fit until then…Bargin fee and could go and spend the balance on a midfielder or an attacking midfielder.

3 Likes

:grimacing:

We really need to hijack this shit and just sell Leno next summer

3 Likes

This is what’s so confusing to me, this guy is going to be a full time Leno replacement, he’s a top GK. we could sign him dirt cheap, let Leno play out this season as first choice and give Onana the 6 months he needs to get back into speed for the next season. What is the problem?

2 Likes

That the club is being run by morons?

5 Likes

Onana has, for the time being, pulled the plug on a move to Lyon. Bigger clubs from bigger competitions have expressed their interest in Onana.

Is there hope?

2 Likes

If we sign him we still need to sign somebody else to be backup keeper until November unless we want to roll the dice on Runarsson/Okonkwo not lighting our season on fire.

Still might prefer that to buying Ramsdale for a full Ramsdale.

I would love to hear what a few ex managers (or higher up the in the food chain) of a big club, explain what lead to some of their decisions. Some moves (or lack of moves) through the seasons are weird to say the least.

1 Like