Alexandre Lacazette

Their favourite player is Martin. Do we reckon that is Ødegaard or Keown? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Probably Martin Hayes.

2 Likes

I think you’re all talking about a bot

1 Like

He is on around 160k. If you include wages + the transfer fee for a profile like Eduard, then we’ll probably be in the red and Eduard is an unproven entity who has only played in the Scottish league.

I don’t see Martinelli as a #9. He’s more of a wide forward. He’s also very raw and is recovering from a bad injury. Going into a new season with him as second choice behind a fading Auba is suicide.
Balogun hasn’t proven anything yet. Eddie has better numbers than him in all age groups and we’ve seen how that has gone. Balogun biggest problem is he has a greedy team. He’s still young and is going to get his chances if he shows a little more positive as Eddie will be out of the door next season. But in no way or form is he ready for a first team role.

How many young strikers are available out there who are currently scoring or capable of getting 15-20 goals a season and will be available for anything less than 50million?

For me Laca’s output hasn’t been great, but it’s not horrible either. He has often played second fiddle to Auba, isn’t on penalty duties, has had his fair share on injuries and has been played out of position a lot this season.

Despite not hitting big numbers, he was our best player in Emrey’s first season year. Last season was his worst, but he has made decent progress from there.

Not to forget the fact, the our creative output from the midfielder has been virtually non existent over the last couple of season. Auba gets a pass for this excuse, but somehow Laca is expected to create his chances and finish them too.

I don’t see a reason to touch this position for a couple of years. We need upgrades and bench strength in other departments and that should be made priority. The 15-20 mn that we may get for him won’t significantly strenghten any other position in the squad, but will weaken us in the striking department.

I wouldn’t be extending him on a multi year deal but I can see the sense of just keeping him for another season and getting another decent 12 months out of him. Chelsea/Willian style. I do really want to see a path given for Martinelli to get some minutes also though so it’s a tough one for me.

1 Like

Auba has often played second fiddle to him by being shunted out wide so he can adopt the central position. In my head its at least 50/50 on who has been played when and where to accommodate the other, if you want to go down that route.

You keep saying 15-20 goals, thats fine, but I’ve already talked about his goal figures and how I don’t find them to be impressive. It might be pedantic but I’m just not having 15-20 as his ballpark range when he’s never hit 20 for us and scored 12 last season. Again, this is all competitions when we’ve been a fixture in the Europa League. Giroud gets a lot of hate but these are his kind of figures, and he didn’t cost 50 million, and we wouldn’t be paying him near 200k for that kind of output.

Lacazettte’s output, physical attributes and fitness are only going to decline from this point onwards, and he didn’t particularly excel in any of these departments in the first place.

I’m not a scout, I’m not even a knowledgeable football fan when it comes to other leagues, I already spend enough time watching Arsenal (and Man U cos of the other half) as it is. So no, I can’t necessarily give you a list of young strikers who can immediately offer similar to Lacazette’s output. But I don’t believe there is such a dearth of talent in world football that we couldn’t find a youngish striker who could come in and get 10-15 goals while playing regularly in the centre of the pitch and in the Europa League. We bought Martinelli for 8 million quid, I bet he’d score ten goals in all comps if he had the minutes. (that’s about all I’m asking for, because the hope is that they will improve with playing time and improve their output as they develop). I couldn’t have pulled Martinelli’s name out of a hat a few years ago at your command, but he was out there, he existed. I could have complained a year ago that I wanted a solid, non clown young centre back who would improve on or match the players we had but also have enough promise that they could be very good with the right nurturing, and I couldn’t have named Gabriel or told you that he would be available for a shade over 20m.

So while I get why you’re asking me how many young promising strikers are out there who cost a certain amount etc, I honestly don’t think me not being able to reel off a list of names for you really invalidates my argument at all.

I just don’t see any good reason to tie a declining but already fairly average player to a long term deal at his age. We’ve had 3 or so years of Lacazette and Auba, I don’t really want another 3 years of both of them, but both of them older and declining. Getting in younger striker and developing them while we still have Auba is the obvious play here, not keeping Auba and Laca for another 3 years and then needing to replace two strikers both at pretty much the same time, meaning the task is finding two new adequate strikers at once instead of just the one. Develop the younger striker while relying heavily on Auba during his last few years, hopefully that striker is then ready to seamlessly become the number one over Auba’s likely final contract with us. This seems like much better squad planning to me than doing nothing to plan for the future and tying down both Auba and Laca to lengthy expensive deals as they exit their primes.

4 Likes

Bro this tackle happens to everyone that plays football atleast 5 times a game. What the hell is this screaming about and if I remember correctly he just stands back up and plays.

Makes me laugh

2 Likes

I thought on a replay it was whatever way his ankle twisted when he landed on the ball that caused the scream rather than the tackle itself.

His standing foot moves around fine because he’s already moved his foot for the turn and the leg that’s kicked never touches the floor because he’s already screaming falling to the floor.

Could’ve hurt his ankle, he gets up perfectly fine as soon as the ref gets over so

You’ve analysed it more than I it seems.

Just appeared on my twitter, some posted screens of this exact argument haha

I can’t stand Laca but I really don’t get why this is gaining so much attention, Motd panto and laughing over the video you record cringe.

You see over the top reactions from attacking players every weekend, I honestly don’t understand what’s so special about this.

Lacazette’s been going down like a lil bitch for about 4 years now, it’s just a boring part of his game

9 Likes

Why is it getting attention? Because Sean Dyche drew attention to our players propensity to go down screaming in his post match conference.

This Lacazette one is absurd in its of volume. The empty stadium helps in that regard.

He probably just hates Lacazette because he turned up to sign his contract with his parents like a spoilt fucking socialite.

3 Likes

A 12 month extension is pointless. He’ll be even less of an attractive asset to sell a year from now. He’ll block younger players from getting game time and he doesn’t score enough.

2 Likes

I meant running his contract out, not a 12 month contract extension.

1 Like

He wouldn’t even entertain 12 months.

Next contract is his last big pay day so he isn’t going to fumble the bag by taking just a year.

1 Like

That makes sense. I just don’t have a lot of confidence in the club moving him on.

Arteta likes him and we’re so broke (allegedly) and so bad at recruitment that I can see the club resigning him just to avoid having to go into the market even if Martinelli is a fine replacement.

Enough to make you scream.

1 Like