Alexandre Lacazette

He looked absolutely furious with Auba after the missed penalty. He’s looked increasingly interested in fighting with the opposition recently. I get that things have been totally shitty around the club but he’s got to focus as much as possible. It probably doesn’t really matter since he’ll be sold in July.

2 Likes

Was highlighted in arseblog today that while he has 31 goals in his last 51 home games, he has just 9 in 46 away from home. As much as we are generally shit and do nothing in midfield/creatively to help our strikers, he wants to have a bit of a look at himself on this front.

I really like him, particularly as I always feel he is the player most likely to turn up for us with a goal in a big match, but I think he needs to be doing more to lessen the incredible over reliance on Aubameyang. It might not be fair on the two front men, but they’re two of our few players with what you could probably call undisputed quality, and we need to see it from them. Right now, only one of them is doing that.

3 Likes

When you have such an imbalance between goals scored at home vs away I think there has to be a reason for it relating to the player, i.e. going beyond just stating we usually have more of the ball and create more goalscoring chances at home

4 Likes

I am sure if we actually look at it properly, we would find out that it’s the overall play that is affecting Lacazette rather than his ability.

Lacazette and Auba have different roles in the squad and there is a reason for Auba to have better numbers. While Auba is a better player, he also has more leeway in terms of attack while Lacazette is placed more in a situation to work with multiple defenders on his back.

1 Like

this.

Even during the corner kicks, Lacazette has to cover the near post which has less likelihood to leading to a goal compared to Auba’s far post positioning.

Fans completely discount the impact of the roles on their respective goal scoring.

4 Likes

I think you could afford to be a bit more charitable towards your fellow gooner haha, seems a bit self aggrandising to phrase your post in a way that suggests that you’re somehow different to the rest of us in your ability to understand the concept of different players having subtly different roles.

Its possible to want more from Lacazette without demanding he reproduces the exact same numbers Auba does, and while recognising that he has a different role to Auba.

I just think Laca is capable of doing more and playing better than he is, and that we could really do with that at the moment.

2 Likes

Honey, I am not suggesting :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Haha…

How many goals has Auba scored from corners?

You’re talking about incredibly nominal factors here.

If anything people overrate this kind of thing. Ie, “Giroud doesn’t score so many goals because he’s sacrificing himself for link-up play”. Well no, there’s no evidence of that, because his link-up play actually isn’t good and that’s not some designed role for him, but just the way he plays. Same with Auba and Laca. Laca plays in a way that is not conducive to high goal-scoring numbers. He makes up for it a bit with actual good link-up play (not something imaginary, as in, you can actually support it with stats), but the overall totals this season are underwhelming (last G+A was a solid return).

2 Likes

It was just example and
He scored one last night.

1 Like

The most frustrating “fact” ever peddled by Giroud fans was his mythical link up abilities.

Average link up at best.

1 Like

Have to agree with @Trion about different roles. Lacazatte was a proven goal scorer and his numbers have mostly suffered due to role in the squad and the arrival of Auba.

Having said that his numbers aren’t that bad.

League     E.League      C.League 

Lyon: PL. GL A PL. GL. PL. GL.
2014-15. 33 27 6. 4. 1
2015-16. 34 21 3. 6. 2
2016-17. 30 28 3 8. 6. 4. 1

So thats a total of 76 Goals in 97 appearances, and a total of 88 Goals contributed in 97 games in Ligue 1.

And 10 goals in 22 appearances in Europe. So the guy definitely has it in him, stats pretty much speak for them selves.

1 Like

Hes a clinical finisher but I feel everything else is mediocre…hes not strong enough, hes not fast enough, and no burst of pace.

If we argue that he has a different job to auba, so auba is the finisher and lacazette drops deep then surely thats another arguement against lacazette not one to defend him. The sequence of play between the midfield and attack is so fucking bad, so if laca is the one who links it up then what the hell.

Also in relation to his stats above this post. It’s the french league. And most of those goals in Europe are in the Europa league.

18 apps 5 goals in the cl

1 Like

The issue we have is a paucity of proper quality wide attacking players given that we play a one striker system mostly… so our 2 best attacking players are strikers really - and we don’t play 2 striker system… so someone has to get pushed wide.

Ideally Pepe was fantastic and we would have Ozil, Nelson, Saka, Martinelli battling it out for minutes on the other wide attacking position… Laca would rotate with Auba and also be a sub to add an attacking player when we are chasing a game.

2 Likes

Another month out needed pls.

I am chief commander of Laca but my fuck he has been shit this half.

Why aren’t we playing Pèpè ffs

Sometimes, I love his attitude. Other times, he looks like he’d rather be at home.

Wouldn’t be at all unhappy if we got rid. Not the type of player we need right now imo

1 Like

Omg please bin him, I’m actually beginning to hate him why does he keep falling over

I literally couldn’t care less that he scored btw before quoting this you twats

:wink:

1 Like

Should have started him on the bench and had him as an option to bring on off the bench, cos he’s good for a goal. But he’s started him and he’s played a shitter, and now he should be taking him off but is reluctant because he’s the kind of player who might be good for a goal if it falls to them in the box, even if he’s having a shitter.

Edit: oh, he appears to have scored.

Dressing room politics is the only reason I can think he plays.

Hope it stops soon because shoehorning him fucks us.