Alex Song

What. This is my first ID here. Did you say so as well :rofl:

An old poster and I used to have essays and essays arguing about Areta being Cesc replacement or not.
He was adamant Arteta was

2 Likes

Who was that again?

BreadMagic

1 Like
1 Like

Song’s time with Arsenal was underrated.
Should have compromised on finances a little bit for longevity of his career.

God damn the level of blue balls I had waiting for that Fabregas, Wilshere and Song midfield to come good

2 Likes

That goal against Liverpool is insane, as is the one against Everton. Joy to watch indeed.

That Everton goal, was that when we celebrated the 125th birthday of Arsenal?

1 Like

Yeah pretty sure it was, wasn’t the Everton and Liverpool goal in the same season? As was the Dortmund goal I think.

That was the season where everything RVP touched turned to gold.

Good riddance to him. Left like a cunt

No way, he was absolutely frustrating and inconsistent his early years and by the time he put it together he pissed off.

5 Likes

Not to mention even when he put it together he never actually found the balance. He was either good defensively or good in the attacking phases. There was no balance to him.

The season he became an assist machine he was also absolutely useless defensively.

4 Likes

Arteta took over the defensive side of the game.

Yep.

He had a really strange developement.

In 2010 I thought he was very good as a DM, but still had a lot of room to improve. In 2011 he improved ofensively, got more smooth on the ball, with his passing, started attacking more, but didn’t really improve defensively - as you expected.

In 2012 he improved even more as a passer, but when you expected him to mature and improve defensively he just did the opposite - got even worse. He just ended up in a very strange place tactically.

He still wasn’t good enough as a playmaking CM to put a more defensive player next to him and to rely on him to get you forward (let’s say like Yaya). Just wasn’t technical enough for top top level. Neither was he mobile enough to act as some kind of destroyer type box to box. Khedira comes to mind here as he wasn’t the quickest, but Song just never had anything near that kind of off the ball (forward) movement and fluidity.

Just ended nowhere in his developement. You couln’t really use him in any role on top top level and I never thought we lost much when he left.

1 Like

Yeah he was a like a really shit prototype of Thomas Partey.

Could only do one or the other but not both.

1 Like

I remember one of his early games, might have even been his debut, in the cup against a Charlton or Cardiff type team. Think he played at CB and didn’t think much of him. Never would’ve had him landing at Barcelona based on what I saw that day.

Alex Song’s greatest moment

4 Likes

Just shows his lack of tactical awareness again