Alex Song

Just watching a 6 year old Alex Song passing compilationā€¦wbu?

The Rio-RvP video in the Man United thread had me reminiscing.

Also, happy belated birthday Alex Dimitri Songā€¦he turned 33 in September. Currently playing his football in Djibouti.

6 Likes

A mistake selling him imo I think Wenger only did so because he thought Diaby and Wilshere would be finally fit, which never really happened

1 Like

Rumours that Song made a big fuss to get the move to Barcelona.

It was more of a mistake from Song to take the move to Barcelona. He was never good enough for Barcelona considering who was playing in midfield at the time.
Should have stayed and retained both regular football & starting position for Arsenal.

Shortened his career value drastically and you donā€™t need hindsight for that.

3 Likes

This is the reason why I donā€™t agree with @SDGooner when he claims footballers become more mature compared to regular individuals of same age.

3 Likes

How dare you, thatā€™s my job :grin:

1 Like

Song never knew how to be balanced. He was either good for us defensively or pushed too far forward in pursuit of assists and chance creation that heā€™d leave a huge void in our midfield.

1 Like

Some of those lobbed Hollywood passes to Rvp were nearly worth it though. Really weird player but a million times more enjoyable to watch than Coq/Xhaka/Elneny types.

10 Likes

Didnā€™t Arteta become th defensive midfielder to let Song go forward

2 Likes

Yeah and he was so average it was unreal lol

2 Likes

Arteta or Song haha?

Arteta lol

3 Likes

Yeah it was too much for him at his age.
He did do great in that role for half a season when Ramsey partnered with him in that role.

I will never understand why this guy careerā€™s just gone downhill after Barca. Maybe heā€™s not good enough for them but with his talent he should be able to make a decent career elsewhere. Even Nasri with all his attitude problems and a lengthy ban from football (sigh) had a better career than him.

We all know RVP saved our ass that season but without Alex Song heā€™d never been able to do so. 9 assists or so iirc. It was also the season that gave me a negative view on our current manager as a player. He was signed as a creative outlet (replacement for Cesc some would say, lol), but eventually Song was the one to step up to take that responsibility, while Arteta had to ā€œsacrificeā€ his role to pad his pass completion stats while being mediocre in defensive duties.

:angry: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Who are you? What was your username on Old OA?

Yes.

1 Like

Completely sums him up as a player as well this one short clip. Braindead.

1 Like

Never gets old this :sob:

What the actual fuck was going through is head :rofl:

I think it was Puyal beconing, he thought it was for him lol