Ainsley Maitland-Niles

That couple million and the Mari money might have gone a long way in this window :disappointed:

1 Like

When did I say he was a good signing or that it was the best use of £5m? I don’t think anyone will argue with this but it actually isn’t the point.
The point is what we do next given we’ve already signed him. Do you compound that mistake by selling AMN/Bellerin just because we’ve got Cedric, or accept he’s here and is a sunk cost?

We have 2 natural right backs and 2 other guys(AMN and Chambers) who can play there. Yet none of 4 are even 7/10 quality players. This club 🤷

1 Like

https://twitter.com/GurjitAFC/status/1299996990382780416?s=19

:xhaka2:

5 Likes

Wait till he has a stinker in one of the friendlies and the ITKs put him back on the transfer list again :joy:

1 Like

Disagree, I think both AMN and Bellerin are 7/10, Cedric 6/10 and Chambers 4/10 (for right back position)
It’s not a star position for us, but it’s a competent one

2 Likes

Personally, I feel both Bellerin and AMN are 6/10, while Cedric is may be a 5/10 and Chambers below average.
But fair enough. If we could strengthen other areas, the team as a whole could very well carry an average RB. But only if we address the needs elsewhere on the pitch.

2 Likes

The upturn in this guy’s focus and consistency has been remarkable since Arteta took over.

I can’t see how we can sell him, for any money, given the performances he’s put in.

He’s switched on for 90 minutes. He’s cut out the sloppy passes and lazy touches. On top of that, his forward runs and combination play have improved too (though he was good at that before too).

Never thought he could be a serious player for us because his mentality was just wrong. But he’s fixed that in a kinda stupendous way. RB, RWB and LWB - he is performing.

I’m making a U-turn as well - would be really disappointed to see him leave. Let Cedric be the third choice loser in the squad. Ainsley should be prioritised - his form warrants it.

The fact that he’s a Hale End boy as well, love to see these guys succeed. The way he’s turned it around is a brilliant story and I love sentimental shit like that.

14 Likes

It seems as if he is in Arteta’s plans, as he has played him for the FA Cup final and this game.
Not only has he played in both, his performances have made it easier for Arteta to keep picking him.
It’s nice to see him, and a few of the other youth players, actually making it in to the first team and maybe staying there.

It’s not a ‘dramatic u-turn’. Arteta has said he wants AMN to stay. AMN has said he wants to stay.

It’s a u-turn for all the ITK’s saying he was being sold.

7 Likes

He’s playing for a spot in the squad. Ozil was also world-class just before signing his big contract. Once the transfer window is over, maybe a new contract or something, AMN’s level will surely plateau.

For everyone who needs to hear this, AMN has been playing at a high level since 2018.

Before Arteta.

What is improving is his consistency.

7 Likes

He was crazy good at LB in wengers last sesson. What we need now is Arteta playing him at RB instead of the 2 farmers we have there.

2 Likes

People not been paying attention smh

‘bullying’ by asking for an actual reasonable price.

As I said earlier. Wolves - grow up.

2 Likes

We have always seen him in positions he was never trained for. There’s tons of levels to his game.

He may not be world-class or something but he can be a Milner level player

4 Likes

Absolutely. I feel like he really blossomed once his breakout season was out of the way too.
I said it before, he’s one of the few lads that’s actually improving as time goes. It’s been some time since we had a talent not drop off after they broke into the team.

2 Likes

I think it’s fair to say though that this might be a masterstroke and example of Arteta’s man-management on show. Ainsley looked all but out the door early this year, especially with the comments about not playing RB. His tune seems to have totally changed, like many player’s mentality after the restart.

It’s great to see Arteta sticking to his philosophy and seeing players buy into it. Lovely stuff.

I wonder if Mikel has made him any assurances and whether this effects our transfer dealings now?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ZRAFC/status/130007109779113984

Wolves seething at the moment. :rofl:

@Electrifying

1 Like