AFCON

This is ridiculously bad from Ghana.

On the one hand I’m happy for Partey to come back asap, but at the same time this is such a disappointing way for Ghana to go.

1 Like

To not make the rd of 16 is pathetic from Ghana.

1 Like

Worst Ghana team I can remember in my lifetime.

In all the years of following African football I can genuinely not remember a worse and more pointless Ghana display

1 Like

Are the referees always this dramatic with the full time whistle? The ref for the Ghana game produced 3 long toots of the whistle, with incredible hand gestures like he knew he was on TV (he was :D)

Just seen the red card they gave to Ayew. Ayew fuckin’ kiddin’ me :joy:

1 Like
4 Likes

Yeah it’s a crazy tournament. There’s so much pride at stake for a lot of these players that they will honest produce the tournament of their lifetime.

African born players don’t really have the same opportunity that European born Africans do in terms of exposure. So you can find gems who just haven’t been given an opportunity at a good level yet.

And for some players this is the opportunity of their lifetime to establish themselves as national heroes by playing out of their skin against highly regarded African opponents.

I hear the commentators laughing all the time when something crazy happens or just getting things wrong. Or when an African player does something good you’ll hear “he had no right trying that” or they’re astonished that he was capable of doing something like that. They don’t really respect the tournament.

6 Likes

Lovely goal by Pepsi :pepe2:

1 Like

On paper that Ivory Coast team is ridiculous.

Haller, Pepe, Zaha, Cornet, Gradel as options for the front 3.

Kessie, Sangare and Seri in the midfield.

They haven’t played particularly well this tournament but they’ve clicked today and they’re tearing Algeria a new one.

2 Likes

Always felt like like Ivory Coast has had a good/respectable team for at least 2 decades. But only have one AFCON (and two finals) to show for it since the millennium.

2 Likes

Ridiculous team on the African stage

Only drawback is I felt like some of them hit primes at different times. Toure prime came just after Pogba. Kolo was done at the top after his malaria battle which came before Yaya hit his prime for example. Ebour was spent after 2006

3 Likes

Who the hell is Barry?!

Boubacar Barry

:eyes:

:sob:.

Oh dear haha. What happened?

They should be allowed to emergency loan Scott Carson. Or if you want to be fussy then the 4th best goalkeeper from Comoros.

1 Like

VAR check. Iwobi should be off here.

Yep. Iwobi has been sent off

Lol what did he do? Just saw he was only on the pitch for 5 minutes.