Abortion

I won’t be surprised to know it was a democrat who leaked the document to salvage the midterms

1 Like

What boggles my mind is how many women are anti-abortion.

51% in 2019 and 43% in 2021 (at least it’s fallen, but 43% is still high imo)

Yet you will keep hearing that it is men who are trying to dictate what women need to do with their body.

Half the female population is against abortion. Who should the law makers side with?

1 Like

The law makers should side with pro-choice. No one individual, male or female, should have the right to dictate what a woman does with her body.

3 Likes

It’s not about taking sides. It’s about creating the space for people to be able to make their own choice.

2 Likes

It’s not surprising really. I feel like women’s make up makes them more likely to be attached early on and believe life starts at conception.

Also, it’s a cultural and religious thing as well. Like in times gone by women have been made to think their sole job is in the home. My Nan was strongly against abortion.

Oh and another thing I read recently is even today the media make a point of highlighting childless women. It’s still a bit of a taboo for a woman to say “I don’t want children.” One example they used was in terms of how women idolise the Queen and Kate Middleton - if Kate Middleton had an abortion, it would be a massive political statement.

I can see why women might feel that being anti abortion is the right opinion to have.

Again it is not a single individual, gender, race or religion, it’s a large portion of the society; and the lawmakers are representatives of the society so they can’t dismiss that large portion.

I don’t understand the need to knock religious belief so unreservedly by so many these days.

I’m perfectly fine with knocking those who hide behind religion or use it to justify bad behaviour eg jihadi terrorists, paedophile priests etc. I’m perfectly fine too with choice on abortion for those who believe it’s moral even though it’s a very tragic thing and runs against some belief systems.

I’m also not overly religious myself but those I know who are perform large amounts of charitable and voluntary social care work, are highly considerate, law abiding and kind natured people. Exactly as you’d hope they would be given their religious beliefs.

Nevertheless they have to see their beliefs regularly rubbished with a let’s tar them with the priest paedophile brush and so forth on a regular basis.

In a world where values seem so regularly on the slide I’m grateful there are still people around like this.

1 Like

I think a lot of people would ultimately conclude that abortion being legal doesn’t impinge on anybody’s anti-abortion stance. If you think its awful and immoral then nobody can ever force you to have one.

Whereas if you outlaw abortion, you do impinge upon people’s pro-choice stance, as you’ve removed the choice. If a population is fairly evenly split on the issue, then it seems clear to me that there’s only one way for everyone’s stance to be somewhat respected.

I am pro-choice and would never judge people who have had abortions, but my personal sentiment is that I wouldn’t feel good about being party to an abortion (obviously I can’t have one myself), and that’s part of the reason that I’ve always been careful to practice safe sex, because I’d really rather not have to be a part of that, if I can help it. But I think most people feel the same, and don’t think that abortion is something that’s to be done casually or frivolously, it’s something that the majority of people take seriously and would prefer not to do. But it’s important that the option exists.

7 Likes

Excellent point. Didn’t think in this direction.

Yeah, that’s where I stand.

But the main thing is you aren’t even stopping abortions by banning them. So the desired result isn’t even achieved.

All you’re doing is making it more unsafe.

I have decided though that I don’t like the classic tagline of ‘men shouldn’t decide what women do with their bodies’. It’s a bit simplistic imo. I get it but, if a woman wants to commit suicide but a man tries to stop them, the man is in the wrong? A stupid example but also the kind that statement may attract.

Anyways, for so many people they are necessary.

I was a bit more pro choice before I worked in places where they provide abortions.

The vast majority however are completely reasonable and fair enough.

It would be a very heartless person who denies a woman who managed somehow to get pregnant on a coil, an abortion because they did the right thing, and the pregnancy with the coil may make things really difficult for the baby also.

And that’s before we even get to invest and rape.

However, I do want to mention in some cases where abortion almost becomes a replacement to contraception which it should never be.

People coming in on their 10th abortions just make you think a little and get annoyed. I wish that was more the minority than it is.

But anyways, on the whole, abortion being allowed is one of the hallmarks of a more civilised society and anywhere outlawing it is going backwards in time.

1 Like

Have you had someone come in with that experience?

Asking for a friend :eyes:

Very very very rare but has happened, yes

Cos sometimes the coil can dislodge and then it won’t have the right effect on the womb lining.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for someone that had the view on the subject close as myself. I would never deny a woman that has done everything right not to get pregnant the right to get an abortion. Give her the options that are out there and if she feels that is the right thing for her if she is no prepared or can’t carry that’s fine. Where the problem is some how abortion is being paraded like a virtue that needs to be celebrated. The killing of unborn children should not something that should be celebrated or encouraged like it is now. I know many women after one abortion feel terrible and guilty for such a long time it’s heartbreaking. Then you see these people prancing around sing and dancing about abortion 10 is sick. We went from safe and rear to up to two weeks after birth and wonder why there is backlash the other way? Women should have the right but not as contraception as there are so many things you could do to prevent. It’s sad as most black deaths are at the abortion clinic

They’re not celebrating abortions, but the choice to have them.

And that is worth celebrating.

1 Like

What does that even mean?

Sometimes abortions are medically necessary to protect the mother’s life. Sometimes parents have to make the decision to terminate a pregnancy because the fetus wouldn’t survive outside the womb.

Reducing it to someone having done “everything right” is just missing the whole point imo.

1 Like

Mate I was responding to the point @Electrifying made about abortion as contraception. Did you not read? Getting panties in a twist for something that was never mentioned. Again assuming someone position without actually reading. Don’t respond to me if you have not follow what I’m talking about

You sound like the one getting your panties in a twist here, not Josh.

1 Like