Aaron Ramsdale (1)

It was an amazing save. Reliving it, it got a greater cheer than the goals! :joy:

Why didnā€™t he save it with his right hand? :thinking: would surely have been easier lol

Disagree mateā€¦as a keeper, for me, he went with the correct handā€¦Great saveā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a keeper but I assume youā€™re more in control of the arm at the bottom and better able to judge if youā€™ve got the reach etc? I canā€™t think of a single stretch save like that where the keeper was using the arm over their head.

1 Like

Gives me a nice reason to rewatch it, haha.

For meā€¦A save to the left was made with my left hand, and save to the right, was with the right hand, easy reallyā€¦
All of this ā€œoverarm stuffā€ meant that your positioning, or foot stepping was wrongā€¦Not necessary if you were in the right place to start withā€¦

Gordon Banks did not make the GREATEST save of all time with his ā€œwrongā€ hand for a reasonā€¦

2 Likes

Wait, wasnā€™t that to his right with his right? :thinking:

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t it be required if the ball is heading in a zone where reach is needed rather than control

I am absolutely sure I remember Brady Magic having a right bee in his bonnet about keepers using the wrong arm to make saves. Owing to the kind of bloke he was lol, Iā€™m sure that he was convinced that the worldā€™s goalkeepers and goalkeeping coaches had it completely wrong and should be going with an overarm save, not using their left when diving to the left etc.

3 Likes

Also being a keeper I disagree. A save is a save and I have no doubt Ramsdale could have pulled of the save with his right hand as well. This ā€œwrong handā€ etc is just pure bs really. Same as I once had a coach that wanted me to catch the ball against my chest one hand over the other and the ball in between.

1 Like

Could you imagine these twitter nerds being around in the 90ā€™s and early 2000ā€™s when there was still artistry in the sport. They would have killed the game.

3 Likes

De Gea is a keeper that often made great saves with the use of the ā€˜wrong handā€™. Like @Ocke Iā€™m calling bullshit. A save is a save, and sometimes the optimal save calls for the use of the ā€˜wrong handā€™.

Fast forward to 1:14ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s wrong, I just believe that if your positioning is correct in the first place, then itā€™s not neededā€¦However, I agree, a save is a save, however itā€™s madeā€¦

Some of the best saves have been with the feet, thatā€™s not wrong either!

3 Likes
2 Likes

I canā€™t remember the last time I was this wrong on a guy. Iā€™m wrong about shit all the time and occasionally right (Willian, Hazard, Evans). But this wrong? Been a while.

Maybe Xhaka? I thought it was a coup we signed him at the time and heā€™d basically be an Alonso regen.

Ramsdale has, so far, been even better than I thought heā€™d ever be.

1 Like

Youā€™re whole stance on Partey stands out to me tbh, from first thinking we couldnā€™t afford to sign him to the fact he wouldnā€™t do much for us. So terribly, terribly wrong on both accounts.

5 Likes

Hazard is firmly in the wrong column, donā€™t try that.

Fair play to Ramsdale though, heā€™s looking like the real deal. Seemingly has everything youā€™d want in a keeper.

2 Likes

Hazard is a premier league great. Your anti-Hazard agenda is on par with your agenda of thinking signing Partey was bad business because he was 27 lol

4 Likes

I wanted an attacker instead. What can I say? I find that part of the game more interesting.

His last season for us was somewhere between a write-off and disappointing. The way he was initially talked about, he would have been able to hold an entire midfield, but thatā€™s not who he is.

It was never anything against the player, I just wanted a new attacker instead.

Hopefully Arteta has found a way to maximize his strengths. Despite what you may think, I do actually want the club to succeed.

4 Likes

You can vote here

Might as well call this one now then, congrats Rambo

2 Likes