A four day working week

I’d be really interested in how they would do this if it ever happened haha

Well generally people who work Monday-Friday currently wouldn’t go to work on Friday in addition to Saturday and Sunday :grin:

1 Like

Monday?

I feel some might prefer a Monday off haha

It rotates your day off in our place.

It isn’t exactly a new concept. Some of my team work a compressed week and it works really well. Obviously some jobs and roles suit this more than others, but a good work-life balance is important and if it helps ease the pressure on travel and the environment even better. I think a lot of people will work more flexibly after the pandemic, certainly those that can, and that’s something positive in my view.

2 Likes

I’m more likely to end up working six days than four I’d imagine. Am probably putting in about 50 hours most weeks since the pandemic.

1 Like

I’m the same. 50-60 most weeks easy. Sometimes more depending what I’ve got on. Hence I recognise the importance of a work-life balance because I ain’t got one!

1 Like

To be honest, the software industry works like 4.5 days a week anyway, or at least that’s been my experience here in India and the little time I spent in Singapore. Very little work gets done post noon on a Friday. People usually head out for lunch, which gets extended, and then they leave work early. So, it’s not a big stretch from there to a 4 day week, but then the bosses would have to acknowledge that we don’t do much on a Friday, which won’t happen.

I remember Microsoft trying a 4 day week in Japan and found an increase in productivity, among other things.

2 Likes

Not in favour.
I can only imagine how slow development would be, considering how much these dumb developers fuck up all the time, doing no unit testing. I will have zero patience for lousy development compared to immense leeway I afford now.

It’s the business analysts fault in my experience. :eyes:

1 Like

In my experience Indian developers tend to have this reputation in Europe where they’re used for outsourcing to save money.

I don’t know why, but I assumed they wouldn’t have the same reputation in India too :ozil:

I don’t have much experience with other developers. I will assume only Indian developers are shit and say I detest Indian developers. Very few have the proactiveness to actually understand what they are building.

I don’t know how they achieve cost saving considering I always reject their development 6-7 times during my UAT.

And its not just their man hours but also my hours that are wasted explaining the same concept again and again. Taking all that into consideration, it is better to just hire a really talented and proactive developer.

Also SCRUM/Agile is a farce. Fraud system leading to partial development all the time.

As a freelancer i can generally pick my own hours. I often work longer one day so I can chill the next. I definitely prefer it that way.

COVID seems to have promoted flexible working, which is only a good thing. My old company were so regimental. You work your set hours, no leeway. So if you had an appointment, they’d make you take a half day holiday rather than let you make up a couple of hours elsewhere in the week.

3 Likes

Would be one of the greatest things to happen to work life balance. 3 days off work is essential

5 Likes

Yeah I’d happily work longer Mon-Thu for Friday off haha specially now covid has forced office work to be more flexible with mandatory WFH

I’m going into the office tomorrow at my new job. Will be my first working day in an office since March 2020.

2 Likes

haha thats wild.

I’ve never done a full week since March 2020 but have went in for a day or two every so often to break up the weeks :joy:

Haven’t done it in 2022 yet because it’s only come in if you can’t wfh due to omicron :rofl:

2 Likes

I work longer Monday-Thursday and have every Friday off. That’s how I want to spend the rest of my working life, 3 days off has done wonders for me. I can highly recommend.

5 Likes

Do you feel more productive?

1 Like