89 The Film

Eh? I never knew that. I’ve decided immediately that I don’t like this.

Should’ve been retired and put in a museum.

2 Likes

It’s because the Premiership is effectively a break-away league from the football league.

It’s hard to remember what league is what nowadays. Flipping league 1 play off. Is that division 3 or 4? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Is this film on netflix btw?

Amazon I think.

If you have Sky its on Sky Store for £6.

Just bought it and gonna watch it for the first time. Today seems the perfect day with it being the 30 year anniversary!

Edit:

Just finished it there. Absolutely brilliant.

Probably the best Arsenal thing I have ever watched. The film is brilliantly put together for people who never really knew about it like me. Can only imagine actually living it. What a day you must have had. COYG

2 Likes

I don’t know how anything can top that as an Arsenal supporter…

The only other goal that comes close to the excitement of beating Liverpool was the Alan Sunderland goal on the FA Cup against Man U.
We were 2-0 up with a few minutes to go, and they got two goals back, and it looked as if we were done and it was going to extra time, but we got a goal straight away.

I was watching it round my mates house, who were mostly all Arsenal, and we were standing at the door ready to leave to go to the pub, which was just over the road.
Then Thomas scored and it was chaos.
People that weren’t normally very excitable, were running into the road screaming and all the Arsenal supporters in the pub were spilling out into the road going mental.

I still get that buzz from watching it now, so actually being there must have been amazing.

3 Likes

30 years ago today , I cried at witnessing probably the greatest night of my life . Nothing takes away raw emotion of what happened that night at Anfield. The media were all against us for obvious reason but a certain Georgie Graham knew otherwise and that night Arsenal were reborn . Sadly I don’t think this club will ever see that type of euphoria again . The money men have the final say .
Oh boy , what a night tho !!

5 Likes

love hearing stories like this from before I was born :slight_smile:

Oh mate . The whole build up was all geared towards Liverpool. Everyone and his dog wanted Liverpool to win . Graham knew what he was doing. I’ll never forget it .
Sky Sports app have been reliving the match minute by minute tonight. It made the hairs on my neck stand up .
COYG

Is it true the Mirror had a headline on the morning of the match ‘You Haven’t Got A Chance, Arsenal’?

@Stroller knew you’d be the first to like that mate :grin:

5 Likes

Yeah watched the highlights again today.

4 Likes

I watched and I still cry . George Graham knew before the game we would win .
Greatest title winning game ever . I’m waiting for the book so I can take myself of down the bottom of the garden , bottle of Shiraz and enjoy every written word .

8 Likes

It’s a shame they don’t have a review of the season on 88/89.
It was a truly fascinating season. Brilliant till January and then the wobble and Liverpool chase. Hillsborough our bottle job and the loss to Derby. Draw with Wimbledon. Liverpool win over West Ham 5 1 and the significance of that hammers goal leading to THAT night. So much to that season.

4 Likes

I bought the video of that season, when it came out the following season and it went through every game and was fascinating.
We threw away a twelve point lead and then came back to win the most incredible League title race against the best team in Europe.
To win it with almost only English players and our record signing, Alan Smith, who cost 800k was amazing but we were well organised and had the best defence.
There won’t be another league win like that and we were the team to do it thanks to George Graham’s red and white army.

2 Likes

What was the result in our home game v Liverpool in that campaign, chaps?

1 1 draw. Played them three times in the LC that season. 1 1 Anfield. 0 0 Highbury. 2 1 for them at Highfield road.

3 Likes

We beat spurs twice that season as well. :grinning:

1 Like

Which one of you guys went to Anfield? Genuinely can’t remember.

@stroller ?