2022 World Cup

10 Likes

Apart from being the best World Cup final and possibly the most exciting game the tournament has seen, youā€™d have to go a long way to find a more exciting final in any competition.

We had the two best players against each other in a game that had a hat trick from a player on the losing side, Messi lifting the trophy after scoring twice, two extra time goals and a penalty shootout to decide the gameā€¦
We also saw great saves from both GKā€™s and one of the best team goals at a World Cup.

It also means that, because France lost, Hurst remains the only player to score a hat trick for a World Cup winning side, despite Mbappe having such a great performance.

This game couldnā€™t have been much better if it had been scripted and to see Messi lift the trophy was icing on the cake.

8 Likes

Prior to today I can only go with France v Germany in 82 semi final. Also 3 3 and pens.

4 Likes

Pele is right, Diego must indeed be smiling somewhere. Too bad he couldnā€™t be around to see his heir lift the famous trophy.

That ā€œheaderā€ was probably the worst header Iā€™ve ever seen.

6 Likes

I think Brazil-Croatia and Arg-Fra were good demonstrative reasons why golden goal was scrapped

2 Likes

There were no goals scored in extra time in Brazil Croatia

Both sides scored in ET in that game.

3 Likes

Oops yes! Totally slipped my mind. I was even teasing Brazilian supporters that Croatia will score the winner on the 119th minute to win it when the game went into extra time. Lol

Didnā€™t see this in real time. Luckily it didnā€™t matter

Wow thatā€™s a very blatant handball too haha

I honestly think when you look at the quality of player on the pitch and what was at stake - that was the very best game of football Iā€™d ever seen. Even if you thought the first half was remarkably one sided the second half and extra time were some of the most flowing and crazy football Iā€™ve ever seen

A real big emotional rollercoaster.

Incredible

7 Likes

Crazy how we had such a finish when one team was 2-0 up at 80 minutes and the other looked absolutely dead and buried

It really was a rollercoaster as you say, players on both sides probably felt sick to the pit of their stomachs back and forth

Football can produce endorphins like very few other sports can, what a ride

3 Likes

For dramatic moments and back and forth it was one of the best in any comp ever, never mind a WC final.

But if Mbappe hadnā€™t lit shit up in those final 10 mins it wouldā€™ve been an utterly drab one sided game where a team didnā€™t even turn up. Mad how it can change.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s been plenty of better games on the whole, not much different to Liverpoolā€™s comeback in the CL - that was probably even more dramatic.

2 Likes

1 Like

Itā€™s a shame between them the BBC and ITV canā€™t come up with remotely decent coverage.

Thought ITV would be higher. Though I guess no personnel will convince people to put up with adverts. I went ITV because they had better commentators, and also, on my TV, ITV was a few seconds ahead :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

ITV have Sam Matterface. Nobody choses torture willingly

1 Like

They had Ally McCoist though. And Iā€™ll pick him all day long over Jermaine Jenas.

2 Likes

If it was the bbc commentator with Ally that would have been perfect.

I couldnā€™t listen to Matterface ruin the best game I have watched lol