14 August 2018 Reading v Birmingham City
14 August 2018 Southend United v Brentford
14 August 2018 Swindon Town v Forest Green Rovers
14 August 2018 West Bromwich Albion v Luton Town
14 August 2018 Wycombe Wanderers v Northampton Town
14 August 2018 Yeovil Town v Aston Villa
16 August 2018 Sunderland v Sheffield Wednesday

Emmers first trophy :unai:

I do wish this 3rd grade, pointless competition was scrapped, but hey, it’s all about the money eh? :hipster:

Our best chance of a trophy, let’s hope Emery takes it seriously lol.

Why? Unless Atletico drop again into the Europa League, i can see us being favourites. It’s Emery’s cup after all :unai:

So City win it 3 times in 5 years. The other 2 years it was won by Chelsea and United but yeah its not good enough for us.
Also proves its not that easy to win. Be well happy to land this thanks.

Chelsea are probably the favourites at the minute, us 2nd pending on which 8 clubs drop out of the CL.

No more extra time. It’s been axed and matches drawn after 90 minutes will go straight to penalties.

VAR will be used for all games played at a PL ground

If it such a shit competition why do the big clubs win it so often?

Yep, our record is very poor here. Hopefully Emery can finally improve it. I trust our youngsters to do well in this cup.

I think Chelsea are gonna take the league more seriously than us, while we should focus on the Europa League.

I want to win this every season tbh. You only get three chances to win something every season in England. You shouldn’t turn your nose up at this just because its the third most important.

We need to be a cup team this season. I want to win all 3. Europa this and the FAC

Never said it wasn’t good enough for us to win it. I’m just not a big fan of the competition.

Do you really need me to answer that? Big teams win it so often because they have the biggest resources, squad depth and finances. How can anyone match the likes of what Man City can do right now? Not exactly a surprise really.

Don’t get me wrong, if we’d won the LC last season, it would’ve been nice to have finally won in a competition we’ve not won at since 1993, but let’s be honest, it’s a competition that people rank low down, and doesn’t have the same appeal as the FA Cup. The fact they’ve decided to scrap extra time seems to indicate that they’re trying to reduce the sheer amount of games and minutes players are going through each season, to free up some much needed space in the Football calendar.

I’d just simply prefer to see one domestic cup competition in this country really, like most other countries do, and therefore I’d rather see the back of this one.

If it was such a nothing cup I’m sure we would have seen more winners like Birmingham and Swansea in the last ten years.

But there was a period not so long ago where many of the top teams just threw in youths for majority of the competition and rest key players. To me it’s seen a cup where teams prefer to experiment and play around with.

Like I say, sure it’s a cup, and if we win it, I won’t complain, but it’s been a competition that’s been mocked aplenty over the years because of it’s reputation it’s gained.

Personally think its a fucking disgrace that paying fans get a weakend side in cup competions like this. Yet sponsors for overseas friendlies demand first elevens in Mickey Mouse fixtures.

Reading, WBA, Blackpool, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers, Newport, Blackburn, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Exeter, Rochdale, Leeds, Macclesfield, Mansfield, Middlesbrough, Millwall, MK Dons, Norwich, Derby, Oxford, Lincoln City, Wimbledon, Preston, Q.P.R, Rotherham, Doncaster, Hull, Burton, Brentford, Forest Green, Walsall, Wycombe, Aston Villa and Nottingham are through.

There was a time, a few years back, where we’d just lost to Charlton at home in the league on the Sunday and we had to shoehorn in a League Cup fixture against Manchester United somewhere. The FA decided to play this the very next day! Manchester United had just lost on the Sunday to Liverpool, too. A 24hr turnaround doesn’t even happen during the ridiculously congested Christmas football schedule

It was almost as if the FA knew that both teams would play a second string. If they (the FA) are going to hold the competition with utter disdain, I don’t really blame the clubs for doing so, too

Think we won that fixture 4-0 vs United from memory with a Wiltord hat trick so i will take it.

That’s what makes it a nothing cup. Even smaller clubs put out teams with many changes. Picking a fixture at random - Aston Villa playing away from home made 9 changes and the 2 that stayed were youngsters.

The timing of the league cup is useless because there is so much to play for. Right now every championship club has an eye on promotion or avoiding relegation and half the premier league has their eye on survival or the top 4/6. These outcomes are worth millions to clubs, while I doubt the league cup is even worth £1m

Later in the season a team like Palace might accept they’re comfortably mid table and then go for a low reward cup, but not in September.

Big clubs normally only start giving a shit at around the semi finals, and having those over two legs is a big barrier for a lesser club to cause an upset.