10 years at the Emirates

Imaginary? The whole of last season was the best example of the criticism, and probably also the confirmation about said criticism, about this manager/football club one could get.

15/16 was the 3rd year building (how long does one get too build a team anyway? Two/three years seem like a fair amount) in the Ozil-Era, we added Coquelin, Sanchez and Cech to our starting eleven and we’re stronger in depth because of Welbeck, Gabriel and Elneny and we had the greatest chance ever of winning the League, because other teams were having bad years. Last year should have been the culmination of all those circumstances and all of it together should have translated in us winning the League.

But when we had the opportunity to put space between us and City we drawed against Spurs (could happen ok), but lost leads against WBA and Norwich. When we beat Leicester and had broke their lead to two points, we lost points in three consecutive games. The examples of the criticism (weak mentality and all that) and the arguments against Wenger/Arsenal are right out there. You’ll, as apologists, are the ones refusing too acknowlegde them and be stuck with your head in the sand. Looking at the table and going, oh 2nd is better than 3rd, but without context or anything like that, that is shortsighted.

Sagna, Koscielny, van Persie, Fabregas, Wilshere, Rosicky and Diaby as squad players; the 10/11 team had, arguably, no less quality than we have now. The biggest difference being we have a top goalkeeper. City back then wasn’t at all what they are today not until they signed Aguero and Silva after the 10/11 season, Liverpool imploded, who was the 3rd team we were heavy underdogs against? Spurs? Don’t make me laugh.

2 Likes

The league has got harder with the extra TV money floating around so less points doesn’t mean lack of progression. You now have Stoke with Shaquiri, Affellay and Imbula. West Ham with Payet, Palace with Cabaye. And all the clubs are managing to pick up top prospects from France, Holland, Spain and Germany. That’s partly why Leicester could win the thing by being able to persuade Kante to join who a few years ago they probably couldn’t have signed.

So much harder in fact that Leicester City won the title last year. First it was the oil money, now it’s the TV money. Enough with the excuses.

1 Like

In 10/11 we had the same situation like last season where United could win the Championship with 80 points after which the Champions got 89, 89, 86 and 87 points in consecutive seasons.

At this point it means more that the notorious three had a bad year, rather than the League becoming harder and that’s why the drop in points occured.

1 Like

Ya know thinking about it, it’s too bad Kroenke wasn’t the owner when we made the move. The facility he built in LA is immense the best in the world. I figure he could have done something like that for us.

1 Like

He wouldn’t have touched us with a barge pole if we needed a new stadium and massive investment.

I wonder what he found so attractive about a club with a brand new stadium.
Was it the millions of supporters all round the world or being one of the most profitable clubs in Europe, with a manager who spent very little money getting success, or perhaps that we were a club guaranteed to make a massive profit.

I suppose being a poor boy in Missouri with pictures of Arsenal legends on your bedroom wall and parents walking around wearing Arsenal shirts, constantly talking about soccer, must have had some influence. :wink:

Favourite moments since Wenger departed? :grin:

Signing Partey. :grinning:

Yeah it almost would’ve been Wenger entirely.

The fact that they couldn’t get the loan without Wenger signing a long term contract means a lot.

I have to admit, the club is feeling very cold without his presence…I can’t help but think his calmness during this covid-period would’ve given us a competitive advantage.

Not saying I am not excited at Arteta’s prospect - but damn I miss that guy.

1 Like

Learning to defend.

Wenger leaving

1 Like