10 years at the Emirates

Two outstanding goals from the 2013/14 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQfhkGPrM8

Yeah. But what happened in 14/15 and 15/16 though?

“How dare you be that good?”

Love that commentary

1 Like

Another Emirates moment who I love so much.

Wait what?
Finally someone apart from usual suspects saying this.

Thanks man.

Its embarrassing that some people are using our 2nd place finish last year as a sign as progress as the reality is we are no closer to winning the league than we have been in the last 12 years… Bookmark this if we preform how we did last season this season we will be extremely lucky to finish in the top 4.

1 Like

I find the supporters who slag the club/manager off for the Trophy-less Debt years even more embarrassing to be honest…

5 Likes

That is not what is embarrassing around here.

What’s embarrassing is wading through what seems to be a text version of a nursery for Spurs fans. But I know, “can’t complain about the complaining”, the greatest of middle school arguments. Or some old fart wants to fight me IRL over his right to continue being a little bitch being a better fan than than me and all. Hilarious for 2 minutes then it’s just pathetic. And middle school-ish again. lol.

That you can’t tell that going from scraping for 4th, never beating any other top 4 rival, winning nothing and buying sperms from Bora Bora to firmly finishing in the top 4, even 2nd beating the rivals again (and the winner, twice), winning the FA cup twice and signing players for £30-40m from Real Madrid, Barca and Chelsea straight into the starting eleven is progress means there was never any arguing with you in the first place. You’ve decided. So I don’t understand why you keep going on in public about it, but I have asked before and I never get any answers so, I guess I just wasted 5 minutes lol

2 Likes

Same old oompa always bleating about anyone who doesnt tow the "Wenger is God and will lead us from the wilderness to the promised land " ,watch it or he will call you a cunt cos like he is well ard innit. He feels entitled to do this because he once bought a pannini stciker with Arsenal on it !

Yet it seems like you’re the one fishing for a fight, have a cupa tea mate, relax…

Better ? :joy:

Going 2-0 up in 2 minutes just before half time against Spurs via Van Persie and Fabregas. I was there in the ground for that, it was an absolutely mental reaction when the second one went in, never seen anything like it.

Spurs had properly given it the big balls before the game too, Bentley, Keane and Redknapp had all piped up about how they were supposedly the better team and we absolutely dicked them.

Edit: @oompa and @Drayton I believe we’ve covered this before, if you can’t be nice to each other, then leave each other alone. Let’s call that the last warning.

Apart from the 05-06 season where we had to win at Wigan and Spurs had to lose points we never ‘scraped’ for 4th, but we made it quite comfortably even during the ‘main’ debts years; 2008-2013. In that regard there is no progress made, but we have stagnated around that position which has been our ceiling. You can maybe make a case for 12/13, but in 14/15 we had a season exactly like that were we hovering around 5th. And 14/15 was a season when we were out of the debt years. But let me guess; injuries? So where exactly might the progress as far as the League goes be? That 2nd place?

During 08/09, a debt year, we also beat United and Chelsea. Our hard times in those games had more to do with Wenger going 4-2-3-1 from 4-4-2 in 2009, changing his old system, rather than the lack of quality because of the debt years. F.e. in 10/11 we had more quality than we had in 08/09.

Nasri, Arshavin and Vermaelen weren’t exactly sperms we bought.

1 Like

You just quoted an entire paragraph full of reasons we have progressed, I have probably explained the rest a dozen times on these forums over the years just like the club themselves have, other pundits have etc. Let’s just put it this way. To me:

It was no shock that Chelsea won the league after Abramovic spent ÂŁ140m. There was indication the club was progressing right there to me. Same with City, switching from buying championship players to buying to class players, tossing half a billion pounds at it over years, was progress to me. Not surprised they won the league.

Arshavin, Nasri and Vermaelen cost £10-15m during windows where Chelsea/City spent £50-100m after having continually done so for years, and knowing a squad has 25 players in it and not 3, I didn’t demand from us to beat them nor do I blame the manager that we didn’t. The times we did on the pitch (08/09) that was the joy of an exception, not the expected rule. You’re right the named ones were not sperms but sperms is how I sum up our squad at the time. As Gary Neville concluded in 2013 we spent a net of £9m in 10 years. Or as Evra put it during that one game that one time.

Once austerity was over, we still had the exact same squad we did 5 minutes before it was declared over. Clearly I did not expect magical pixies to fly in and make a squad that cost less than Spuds squad to assemble, perform like the ones that cost half a billion pounds to assemble that won the prem during that period (City/Chelsea). Nor do I demand a 3 player difference to do it now (Özil/Alexis/Cech) but I know it is the right way to go. I expect it to take time to build a squad that can match them, and I enjoy watching it take place because I love this club.

I also see a clear plan in what we’re doing as a club and I have for a decade, and it sure as f is not to “settle for fourth” beacuse we’re “mentally weak”, that is exactly when people should google pictures of black pots and kettles. But yes, agree to disagree, if you don’t see it then I can’t help you see it it seems.

3 Likes

I don’t know how many spurs supporters you know, but I know loads, and most of them want Wenger to sign a new contract, because they think as long as he is here they have a chance of overtaking us.

My first game at the Emirates as well.

We desperately need a big win at the Emirates which comes during a PL or CL winning campaign. Or even just a brilliant run in the CL like 06.

The fact all we can bring up is beating Spurs and winning the first leg of a Ro16 game against barca in which we ultimately got destroyed in the game after is pretty small time.

Not that they weren’t brilliant I was also at that barca game and is up there as the best game I’ve ever been too but games like this in isolation is kinda small time. Want to see them converted into something meaningful in arsenals history.

2 Likes

I asked about the League specifically. Cup football can’t be fully considered as a measure of progress in my opinion because it’s a different competition where teams don’t go all in or might have other priorities in the League or Europe. Fair enough if you want to see that as progress.

No doubt we made financial progress and we’re able to make those singings, that was the whole point of the stadium move wasn’t it? But are we making the most of that potential currently?

Our squad wasn’t considered shit at all. That is why you apologists are irritating me so much lately. You guys are revisioning history and are getting away with it too! The consensus back then in 10/11 (a debt year) was that Arsenal was 2 or 3 players away of competing with the top teams. The EXACT same situation as which we are in NOW.

I can say the same about you all not seeing our problems and Wenger is not going to fix it because he is the culprit. The fact that we should have been 2nd in 2011 and 2015, but bottled it. The fact that we bottled the Championship last year by giving away leads against Norwich, WBA and Liverpool losing to Chelsea and United when they were having incredibly bad years. The same problems we still have on the pitch regarding defending counterattacks/being pressed heavy and set-pieces.

Mind you we only got 71 points the so-called progression you think that is, is no progression. But came about because other teams had massive fuck ups. We’ve been hovering 70-75 points for years and it’s only fair to state we’ve stagnated. Our results as in total points have been declining actually ( 79 > 75 > 71) and our football hasn’t improved either. What exactly is there to be excited about?

You talk about a plan, but the problem with playing the waiting game, is that other teams do not wait around. For every very little step we take, if we take a step anyway, other teams take bigger ones and leap over us. Just like how is going to happen this season. We’re not the same poor Arsenal we were between 2008-2013 anymore.

3 Likes

I have already made my arguments. You just decide that they don’t matter. The only argument I get back is “fight my imaginary outcome”. That’s what I always get and it’s a waste of time.

We beat rivals, sign top players, win the FA cup and finish 2nd more than the last decade.

That you can then imagine -even more- progress does not invalidate that, everyone can always imagine better, it is a default ability of the mind of a child and to stop relating to imaginary outcomes in a compulsory manner is a default ability of the adult mind. I’m just interested in the sign of the derivative (rate of change) here.

It’s a waste of time to discuss with someone who when we finish higher in the table switches the rules around so that in fact now only the points matter to indicate progress, and they should be compared to the points we ourselves took at other times against other teams under other circumstances. Or who forgets what a monkey off our backs it was to win an FA cup again. Or how embarassing it was to know we were heavy underdogs against any top 3-4 teams in the PL for years. Or the other 40 or so shite players we cycled next to Arshavin, Vermaelen and Nasri that you didn’t mention.

I claim that if my friend’s parrot ran a team in the PL it would always win. Toss me arguments against it and I’ll stomp them with ease until you get bored. Or try to see the point I’m making here. Or agree to disagree. Or w/e.

1 Like

Was the plan winning the PL and CL? Because if it’s anything else then we should be ashamed and we are mentally weak. And if by some chance that WAS the plan then we’ve failed miserably. So pick your poison here.

I for one believe you and would genuinely prefer giving the parrot a season than Wenger renewing his contract.

2 Likes

Ye w/e guys, you cried all over another thread til it was ruined. For the hundredth time. Place is lovely, I’m out, enjoy staying on topic.