Summer 2016 Transfers Thread

Oh dear

This is last weeks interview . Gazidis talks so much shit its unreal,waffling on about core values ,giving youth a chance ,winning the right way,not throwing cash around ,etc ad nauseam ,all the bullshit which sees us limping far behind the winners year in year out.

1 Like

ā€œWe canā€™t afford to make huge mistakes in the transfer marketā€.

Iā€™m not sure that statement even needs a comment.

1 Like

He makes it sound like we will go into administration if we spend more than 50 million quid in a summer hahahahahahahahahah.

Iā€™m frustrated just as much as the rest but didnā€™t Arsene say that there was some poker playing needed? Weā€™ll see who we end up with.

Poker playing? More like lottery playing is what we do. Punt and pray. No plan, no ambition, no balls, the ā€œArsenal Wayā€.

2 Likes

Looking at Gazidis recent statements Iā€™d have to disagree with you. They go after a player, they offer what they think his value is and if itā€™s not accepted they walk away, pretty simple to me. They donā€™t like to overspend. Whether or not we have the money to do so is a different conversation. Arsene and Gazidis donā€™t give a fuck about what everyone else thinks should be their strategy. They obviously want to play money ball. Honestly itā€™s annoying as fuck in contrast to what every other team is doing so I inderstand your frustration, but you are going to have to get used to it or spend your foreseeable future being pissed off with the clubā€¦pretty much forever. Everyone thinks when we change managers that things will miraculously change, lol just look at Gazidis heā€™s even worse than Wenger.

So they try to use a baseball team building strategy in a player trading/buying system that is completely different to baseball. The reason moneyball works in baseball is because it was a system that the Aā€™s designed within th framework of baseball. Football is a terrible sport to try to translate to moneyball the sample size is too small and the ā€œadvanced statsā€ are worthless and too subjective when compared to baseball.

1 Like

I fucking hate moneyball because it never worked in baseball either, well to the extent that the Aā€™s or Tampa Bay Rays never won the world series. Kroenke though gushes about Wenger because heā€™s the guy Billy Beane looked up to when creating moneyball. Anyways the point is, and Gazidis just confirmed what I thought Arsenal have been trying for years, Arsenal want youngish players like Ox, Chambers, and now Asano and Holding, and trying to turn then into wc players instead of just buying ready made ones. It would be awesome if it worked but it doesnā€™t.

Gazidisā€™ comments about the transfer market aside, I donā€™t think he is wrong here in the bolded text. The problem is that we havenā€™t been good at these things: The young British players weā€™ve identified and focused on developing in the last five years (Ox, Wilshere, Ramsey, etc) havenā€™t turned into star, while weā€™ve missed the boat on waves of talent coming out of other countries. Our sports science is clearly pretty shit given our injury record. Iā€™m glad weā€™re investing heavily in analytics but its not clear that it has paid off yet or that weā€™re doing it the right way. And I have no idea what weā€™re doing in the realm of psychology but we certainly arenā€™t a club known for having a much stronger mental resilience than its competitors. All these areas of focus are reasonable components of a smart strategy. But anybody can invoke them, what is difficult is successfully executing them and what evidence do we have that Gazidis/Wenger are the men to do that?

2 Likes

Self-sustaining = Charging fans top dolla to finish top 4

2 Likes

Dat bank statement doh!

Things Homer Simpson says when he gets his monthly bank statement?

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure that Arsenal will play deadline day roulette and try get a cheap bargain. Meanwhile, the team will drop points out of the gate and effectively be out of the title challenge by the time the window closes. Yipppeee!!!

1 Like

Basically Transfers wont get done for us because Valuations arenā€™t what Wenger and Gazidis deem them, its what the selling club deems them and what any club is willing to pay. People can bitch and moan about Higuain not being worth 75 million quid all they like but reality is Juve paid it so heā€™s worth 75 million quid.

Ticket price complaint Exhibit 2.

The only positive I can take from this is preaching ā€˜conservative propagandaā€™ so any further clubs we deal with know that weā€™re not going to be taken for plums. But at this stage, not getting your house in order and preaching such opinions is useless. Everyone seems to have gotten their real targets in and will spend the rest of the window looking for any gems that pop up as the window edges to a close.

Laughable.

Itā€™s not just ticket prices. Prices of drinks, merch etc. Top to bottom.

1 Like

Most unexpected transfer of the summer?!

1 Like

They announced him on Twitter but deleted it a couple of minutes later.