Manchester United

Hargreaves was a free and got badly injured and never recovered. Bebe was 7m in 2010 (hardly a fortune), kleberson 6.5 and forlan roughly 7 (figures as per wiki). They were all punts, not big money signings.

Edit, my bad. Hargreaves left united on a free, got confused. :slight_smile:

But that was 15-20 years ago, when a top player was not much more than 10m.
When Man U bought Keane he was a record transfer at 4m and then they bought Cole who also broke the transfer record.
I know some of the others were after, that but they were still a significant amount of money.

Keane signed for united in 1993. It was nearly ten years later when they signed Forlan for less than twice the amount. Around the same time they were paying about 30m for Rio Ferdinand.

Mentally weak? He’ll fit right in here at Arsenal

What? Ferdinand was bought for 30 million around the same time those tranfers you mentioned were made. They brought van Nistelrooy in for approx 20 million in 2001. Rooney for 27 million in 2004.

1 Like

Anyone else a little disgusted by the fact he burst into tears lol. Not sure if I want him anymore.

3 Likes

Don’t make judgements until we know more and see what really happend.

I’d still take him for sure. No idea what that does to squad balance though…

It improves it. We need (at least) another creative player.

We don’t know the circumstances. Perhaps someone showed him a picture of a dead cat or something.

2 Likes

Only acceptable if the cat wasn’t dead the last time he saw it earlier that day.

2 Likes

That stuff about him crying sounds like a load of shit.

Could be but he is known to be a bit of a diva who needs attention.
I hope it doesn’t escalate to City-Toure-Birthday level saga.

Bailly’s injury is apparently to his lateral collateral ligament. This is the same injury Santi had last season, although its not clear whether or not Bailly’s is as severe. In any case, he is reported to be out two months. It will be interesting to see whether he still goes to ACON. If so, he’ll be out until mid-late December, spend some time regaining match fitness and sharpness, then immediately leave to play for Ivory Coast until late January or early February.

United is in trouble without Bailly. Smalling looked half-drunk against Chelsea and hasn’t been the same player as last season while Blind isn’t really a natural CB and struggles in space and in transition. This is a pairing that requires some protection, as LVG found out last year. Mourinho’s first choice selection against weaker clubs has been a midfield two of Herrera-Pogba (with Mata at 10) but that lineup doesn’t give a lot of help to the CBs.

It’s true that Ferdinand and Rooney cost 30m but the money for the other players like Forlan and Kleberson was still around 7-8m and that was a lot of money then.
Our record transfer at around the same time was 7m for Bergkamp, so the fact Ferguson used to regularly write of such large amounts would mean he is a wasteful manager, even if not as bad as Mourinho.

Get in Mourinho! Another de Bruyne in-a-making :wenger:. We should get him :ozil2:

They signed Forlan in 2002, Bergkamp wasn’t our record transfer then as we had signed both Wiltord and Henry for more than 7m. Francis Jeffers also cost more than Bergkamp now I think about it.

:coq: :coq::coq::coq:

2 Likes

Why the fuck would he still be in a hotel when he has been Manchester United manager for five months? How is he not at least renting a place?

1 Like

Mkhitaryan is known to be highly sensitive, not as a diva. He is an intelligent man - fluent in six languages, an avid chess player and is (or was) studying economics during his footballing career. Apparently he’s extremely critical of himself and tends to overthink things. A club spending that much money on a player surely knows that and should have a plan on how to handle it. Unfortunately, Jose’s favouring manly man, gritty, thuggish and a bit daft. Real man, like the “captain, leader, legend.” Intelligent, creative types are probably a bit too hard to handle.

5 Likes

Would you let this man an appartment?

8 Likes