Kylian Mbappe

So, is this thread going to break the size of the Suarez or Higuain ones from the old board?

Even when everyone knows that no way in hell did Arsenal bid that much for him.

1 Like

I’m gonna need more than a couple of tweets saying we’re about to become only the 4th club to ever break 9 figures for a player before I post 30 times in an hour in this thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would certainly be an immensely expensive stepping stone approach which puts all the risk on our side. Not going to say that I wouldn’t want him at Arsenal but as you say he’d have to peak in those 5 years playing for us and he’d himself have to have faith in Arsenal letting him go if he wanted.

And for himself, dunno. There’s certainly some solid value for him in staying there for another year instead of committing to a club that may or may not be in a good shape come next season depending on how contract negotiations go.

1 Like

Won’t happen but a trio of Ozil, Sanchez & Mbappe would be some sort of attacking force.

I do agree that perhaps the best move he could make would be to stay at Monaco even if that does entail it’s own risk. However, as much as I loathe Wenger these days I believe that if he told Mbappe that he would play him every game and do his best to nurture his talents that it would be the truth. And I’d trust Wenger as far as I could throw him.

I’m not sure you’d get that sort of freedom at Real and Barca.

I just feel like 100m is a lot for an 18 year old who might suffer from second season syndrome or might not settle in to the premier league.

I think the kid is just going to be a star, has it all and will be the best player in world football in 3 years time.

Too many risks with this signing. I have no confidence in our ability to keep him towards the end of the 5 year deal even if he does come good

He’s already good. So I’m unsure why you said " If he does come good"

1 Like

Who knows, maybe he comes here, wins something and loves it and stays.

I’ve never been convinced by the “oh we can sign him for 2 seasons and then he’ll leave but that’s OK”. A lot can happen. Players change and fall in love with new surroundings.

If we sign him on a 5 year contract and he helps turn us around I’d be confident that he would stay.

How apt. The story broken by the Mbappe of the Football journalistic world.

1 Like

Can anyone speak French? lol

Tbh I’m not quite convinced he’d move this summer anyway. Give it another year or two and his options at Real Madrid could be better, especially so with Benzema not getting any younger and Morata seemingly on his way out.

Type it in google translate and share with us

ie if he get to a point where he performs to an extremely highly level. eg Ronaldo PL era

The last two bids for Mbappe have been promptly rejected by Monaco without hesitation.

If Monaco dont deny this supposed bid in the 72 hours, i’ll start getting excited. :sunglasses:

It’s a different landscape now but could you not envision something similar to Ronaldo going to United and then to Real Madrid?

Only if we were actually Manchester United. That’s more like joining Borussia Dortmund and being stuck there for the remainder of your career. Not that I’d complain if he comes good but at least right now I think expectations are a bit higher than that :slight_smile:

Premier League side Arsenal have made a concrete €100m offer for AS Monaco forward Kylian Mbappé, according to L’Équipe.

The Gunners, in the largest bid the club has ever made for a footballer in their history, have moved into attack mode following the 2-year contract extension of Arsène Wenger.

Wenger was exceptionally close to convincing Mbappé to sign a professional contract with Arsenal last summer, having even visited the player in Monaco in an attempt to make the move work.

The Mbappé clan has been previously noted to have enormous respect for Wenger, but Real Madrid and Manchester City have both made very forceful bids too, verbal offers of around €120m, with Manchester United also rumoured to have bid for the player .

As it stands, it would appear that Real Madrid (Mbappé’s eventual dream club) lead the race for Mbappé, with Manchester United in last place because the player does not like the way they play football, the latter assertion has been reported by L’Équipe before.

It is important to note that the exact nature of the fees offered to AS Monaco this summer are unlikely to have a real impact on Mbappé’s destination. The Principality side do not need to sell – rather they will respect whatever Mbappé’s wish is and act accordingly.

Monaco have in the meantime made Mbappé a contract extension offer.

Friday 2nd June – 07:00 BST:

The L’Équipe report in full published this morning has additional claims within it to add to our reporting from last night.

They claim that Arsenal will attack this transfer window like never before with the intention to sign a world class player in every single line of the field (presumably all four: goalkeeper, defence, midfield, attack). They also assert that the €120m figure that was reported in the press in recent days as the club’s budget was put out there falsely.

Despite Arsenal’s bid being a club record offer, it is underneath Manchester City and Real Madrid’s and it comes from a club that will miss out on the Champions’ League for the first time since 1997.

The French daily asserts that Wenger is prepared to place Kylian Mbappé at the centre of the club’s project. At the beginning of 2016, Arsenal were one of three sides vying for Mbappé’s signature on a professional contract, alongside Liverpool and PSG.

Mbappé’s future will not be clear for several weeks. Mbappé and his entourage continue to refuse to speak to any club whatsoever until after his season is completely finished, a very unique approach which they should be praised for.

Mbappé is also very far from excluding the possibility of staying another season at Monaco, where he still has another two years contract. Like his team-mates, his decision could depend on how many of Monaco’s stars the club hold on to this summer.

Get french football did a brief overview of it for us

£100M+ in 3-5 years time could very well be the next standard for what clubs pay for up established, top, top players. £30-£40M gets some bang average players right now.

This really would be some signing for us, however minimal the chances of us actually pulling it off are!

1 Like

0% chance of us signing Mbappe. Just no way.