Gonzalo Higuaín

I’m a frequent reader of RedCafe (it’s a very well run forum).

I suggested changing the title of the thread as things progress a while ago.

In regards to Higuain I still think the swap-deal is suss in combination with the figure quoted. Let’s just hope this is settled within a few days, rather than a few weeks.

No but i was worried every other season when RVP was out because he was injured half the year. I can’t say it cost us though because we couldn’t win the league in the one season RVP actually played the majority of the games and scored 30.

Were we not?

We would shit ourselves everytime he went down on pitch.

4 Likes

@Trion @BigWeng_4LYFE

It’s the price to pay if you want the best striker in the World.

No it isn’t. We simply have to purchase a secondary striker after we purchase Higuain.

1 Like

Who will accept to be his reserve?

Last season and this season players like Gabbiadini, Lapadula, Milik, Zapata, Immobile etc… have refused to be his reserve. Image you a better striker than them who will be happy to sit on the bench since the first game of the season, until May.

However, for me he will join Juventus who are ready to pay the release clause.

If the release clause is still there, then I think Juventus will meet it and get the deal done.

I was a bit worried actually in the event that van Persie got injured. Though that was obviously silly of me, because one of our key players getting injured is really unlikely.

It’s also good to have a competent striker on the bench who can mix things up and have an impact when a game isn’t going your way, as opposed to having someone like Sanogo sat on your bench.

It’s also good to not be entirely reliant on one player to play about 55 matches in a season straight off the back of an international tournament and a move to a completely new country.

I’d have thought this was all fairly obvious stuff, but maybe we view the issue differently

3 Likes

At the end of the day we have been overly reliant on Giroud for quite some time - think back to starting fucking Sanogo in the CL because Giroud’s head wasn’t in the right place after being a man whore or some shit.

Perhaps it’s best we let someone else carry our hopes and expectations for a change. We could buy/loan a 2nd choice striker in a heartbeat but we may as well keep Theo as it.

Lol it’s mns boggling to see people say we should have Theo as our backup striker, especially with the abuse he’s received the past year. Giroud would probably fetch more than 20m on the open market anyways. Why not just pay the extra 20m and then we won’t have to go look for another striker?

1 Like

The point many are making is that this option (which would be best) may not be realistic. So the choice may be to swap Giroud for Higuain or not get Higuain at all.

I still think it’s a shit deal because buying higuain solves two problems. We’ll have a so called wc striker and we need an extra quality striker to compete in 4 competitons as well. Two birds one stone. Once again Wenger has already voiced his concern that we are short number wise. So just buying a guy for 50m and basically giving away an asset like Giroud is bad business. If we lost him we’d have to go back into the market anyways and considering the likes of Troy Deeny going for 30m+ a similar player to Giroud would cost at least that much. It would be better business to actually sell Giroud for 30m to the highest bidder and turn around and give Napoli the 80m they want. Any way you slice it we’ll lose at least 10m if this deal goes through.

This deal looks unrealistic because of many question marks:

• Higuain breaks his relationship with Napoli and he will not remain with Azzurri

Who is interested to buy him? Juventus and Arsenal, at the moment, but:

• Juventus can’t pay all the release clause and would like to offer two or three players in exchange plus more money

• In this case De Laurentiis could accept a talk with them about the best player of his squad, risking to not have any fans at San Paolo at the start of the season because Napoli fans hate Juventus like Tottenham fans hate us.

• We’re not sure about our offer because a player like Giroud is involved. We’re not sure about an untypical deal for Arsene Wenger: 50M pounds + one of his favourite players for a 29 years old striker.

Time for Wenger not to be Wenger anymore. It’s really his last chance.

1 Like

I’m agree, but apart this there is an insistent rumor tonight in Italy. Higuain and his brother have agreed personal terms with Juventus before the start of the Copa America. He is grateful to Arsenal for the offer but he wants to respect his agreement with Juventus.

De Laurentiis can change everything if he will refuse to sell Gonzalo and if Juventus will not pay the release clause.

I really don’t see the issue with Napoli selling to Juventus if they get 94m or something close to that in exchange. it’s not like Napoli were going to challenge if they lose him.

1 Like

Yeah. But apparantly there is a rivalry between them. Or at least from the Napoli’ fans standpoint.

So you believe it’s unlikely Juve sell Pogba and buy Higuain for the clause outright?

Honestly, I’m quite surprised Juve even want Higuain, they’ve got a stud in Dybala who is only gonna get better (and he’s pretty special already) and a really good group of forwards to play with him in Zaza, Mandzukic, Berardi option and potentially Barbosa.

It’s not like Higuain would push them much further towards winning a Champions League.

1 Like

yea, I know, but I’d think that it wouldn’t make much difference to them as their chances of winning the league wouldn’t really change a whole lot. at least not if they sell their best striker anyway. Obviously the emotional side is different, but from a sporting point of view…