Arsène Wenger

Absolutely, no doubt, But you can’t -only- play kids and get CL was probably the reasoning. That’s not optimising your economy. Nearly all of your mentions were bargains at the time and either turned a profit eventually or retired here. The most expensive kids were often English because we still needed to plan for and abide by the homegrown rule. Remember the endless “we lacked a bit maturity” mantra, If you google the youngest starting XI ever fielded in the prem you’ll find several Arsenal lineups including those players you mentioned. It was just about optimisation I think.

6 Likes

I stopped reading at Almunia.

If Arsenal today are a big club, it’s only thanks to Wenger who has changed the club in 20 years, since his first day at London.

3 Premier Leagues, 12 FA Cups & C. Shields and the status of Invincibles. Arsene & AFC have written the history of english football.

He refused all the offers to join giants like Real, PSG and Bayern to help the club which he loves. Forever grateful.

The difficult of the 2nd decade was ended with an extraordinary and long work, without any risk to collapse only thanks to him.

When the financial situation returned normal, buying stars like Özil, Arsène changed again, creating a new style with new players.

Now, thanks to Arsène, we have a solid base and a great future to live.

Happy anniversary to the best manager of our history and my football father. Happy anniversary Mr Arsène Wenger.

7 Likes

There are some proper random answers in this one :smiley: Number 5 was an absolute bugger, don’t remember them at all. 19/20 overall. Gets easier towards the end as the years become more recent.

also 19/20. No idea about #2 lol

What you say about Wenger is good tbf. However its an over simplification to mention only about the spending of Ferguson and Mourinhio.
Both had domestic and european success with lesser resources at smaller clubs than Arsenal.
Its the acivements they managed at these clubs that got them to the bigger stage.

18/20 for me @Mysty :slight_smile: Nice quiz!!

1 Like

7 Likes

In a funny sorta way, when you compare the two photos, it looks like both Arsene and the chairs has naturally aged over time, but of course, it’s two completely different stadiums, Just seems kinda apt :smiley:

2 Likes

What a football legend. I hope Wenger can complete another 5 years with us.

3 Likes

[quote=“GunnerGirl, post:1561, topic:125”]
I hope Wenger can complete another 5 years with us.
[/quote]Some people would absolutely fall apart at that idea if he stays here another 5 years :joy:

If we win another title or some how fluke it in Europe, he should then leave on a high. Really don’t want him to get to the point where he’s totally outstayed his welcome and there have been enough times in recent years where he’s really been pushing the edge of that.

It’ll be interesting to see how the next few months go. If he feels everythings gelling together and feel he can achieve more. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he signs one more contract now, as we don’t seem to be any closer to a proper succession plan.

Yeah but Arsenal will fall apart without him unless we can attract a manager as good which is unlikely

Ultimately whoever takes over from Arsene will have an impossible job to trying to live up to expections, but I feel we had moments in the last few years where we could’ve easily approached the right manager to take over and we ended up missing the boat and now they’re elsewhere.

Arsene has been understandably massive for the club, but we need to break free of this thought that we’ll fall apart without him, because there’s been many times where we’ve been very stagnant in our development in recent times. He still has some tremendous qualities, but his weaknesses are unlikely to be addressed in his old age.

He has to stop eventually, so we’re bound to have a point down the line where we could well struggle for a while, like what’s happened with Man Utd since Fergie left, but this is where we need to sort this succession plan out properly.

At the end of the day, it’s Arsenal FC, not Arsene FC.

3 Likes

I saw football focus yesterday and didnt know wether to laugh or cry . This carefully crafted narrative that makes for Wengers cannonisation and airbrushes the inconvenient truth right out of the picture was truly masterful in it’s construction.
He is alpha and omega .Arsene football club formed 1996 ! It was so cringeworthy i couldnt watch it all. Notice no Patrick or Dennis ?

2 Likes

19/20

Didn’t get the Tsavlardis guy at the beginning.

Absolutely no reason why Arsenal shouldn’t be able to attract a top class manager.

1 Like

20/20

You bunch of amateurs

I’ve find it to easy to say we just spend money on kids because we had no money. Wenger has always bought kids. Anelka and Pennant were kids when they arrived, far before Emirates. And there are probably more examples like that. I think what he did wrong was getting rid of all the Invincibles to quickly and not kept more guys around for a transitioning period. Like Dixon, Adams, Parlour and Keown were present when the Invincibles were build.

Back in those days fees ranging from 6 to 15 million pounds were more or less normal were they not? I won’t deny money wasn’t an issue, but I don’t think Arsenal were that poor either.

Can we attract one as good if not better than Wenger? Highly unlikely