Arsène Wenger

If Wenger won the league this year, yes he should walk away. That would be the ultimate mic drop moment and a huge middle finger to everyone who doubted him. He’s getting old anyways and can’t do it forever.

2 Likes

He’s still missing a CL win on his list of achievements. Don’t think a PL win alone would be the ultimate achievement at this stage of his career.

1 Like

Imagine if we won the CL this season.

I think I’d puke.

3 Likes

People will understand how has been important for this club when he will leave.

Will be a sad day for me.

A new era will start, but a piece of my heart will leave with him.

:sob:

6 Likes

Don’t tell, then your wish won’t come true!

Great video @Calum, thanks for posting it. I find it hard to argue with either “side” to be honest. There are many valid points. Piers dream about Highbury is rather hilarious though, we would never be where we are without it.

1 Like

Some really interesting stats and comparsions.

1 Like

I really do hate it when a sports franchise tears down a stadium that has so much history. I don’t like Piers morgan but I actually do agree with him on this. Liverpool actually got it right imo. You can’t demolish Anfield that’s just not right, so you just renovate it. Wish we’d have done that with Highbury.

Wish I was going to the Burnley game now, just to see how the AKB / WOB dynamic plays out for the 20 years thing. There won’t be any negative banners out of respect, but hearing how some people talk about the man, there won’t be universal support for positive banners either.

We’re winning and playing well at the moment, so it’s the turn of the former to be all smarmy in their derision of the latter, in this eternally irritating contest.

Great insight!

we were trying for years to do what Liverpool are doing and redevelop highbury but it was literally impossible, I’m pretty sure Darby county and Leeds have bigger capacity grounds than highbury was

As it stands the emirates is literally 2 minutes walk from highbury, trust me I walk past them both every day, even if we could re develop highbury instead of just moving just up the road we would potentially have the same problems with the new stadium, every chance Liverpool will struggle to make there re developed ground a fortress

1 Like

Good start to the video but it quickly becomes unwatchable thanks to that twat Piers Morgan ruining it. At least you could see Wrighty looking at him thinking what a tool.

Excellent article involving Guy Wenger, Arsene’s brother.

Puts it all in to perspective.

1 Like

Arsene chats with NBC’s Roger Bennett about his 20 years at Arsenal

Another good vid! Loving all these shows/video’s and articles!

Then on Sunday we have Henry having a one on one chat with Arsene on Sky. Can’t wait for that one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wenger was the greatest manager in Europe for the first eight seasons he was here.

To do what he did, with the players he had and the players he bought in, and to win the double twice in his first five seasons, and then to go on and play a whole season winning the PL undefeated is unparalleled in the PL.
He was never out of the top two until Abramovich bought Chelsea, and the PL title.

He revolutionised the way football was played in this country, and the training methods, and he did it against a Man U team that was the most expensive group of players ever assembled.

I’ve always maintained that at that time he was better than Ferguson, and better than Mourinho, when he first went to Chelsea, because Wenger didn’t spend anywhere near what those two did, and he did something which they couldn’t do, which was to become the best team in the league without massive spending.

Ferguson might have been more successfu,l but if Wenger had broken the transfer record as many times as Ferguson, then he would have won the PL almost every season.
As for Mourinho, there is no comparison.
Mourinho outspends every other club by a long way, plays boring football and lacks any class.
Wenger has his faults, but he has class, style and doesn’t need to outspend others to be successful.

Before this season I wanted Wenger to change, and going by the first few games it looks like he might have done, but I also thought that last season after a few games.

If he went out this season and really challenged for both the PL and the CL, and won one of them, he could leave after that and would be remembered as, not only the greatest Arsenal manager, which he already is, but also leave on a high, which is something most managers don’t do.

But I don’t see him leaving at the end of this season, so I just hope when he does eventually retire, he does it after winning the PL or the CL, or both.
I think he is going to regret not buying a top class striker, and it could be that lack of decisiveness in the transfer market, and settling for mediocre players rather than the best we could afford, since we sold RVP, that will be the difference between winning and being also rans.

Clubs with mediocre strikers don’t win the top trophies, and it’s that lack of ambition in the transfer market that has been holding us back in recent seasons.
I don’t know whether it was Wenger or the board, but It’s a shame, because if it is the board not backing the manager and not wanting to spend what it takes to get a top quality striker, then we are stuck yet again with mediocrity upfront, and Wenger has lost out.

If, on the other hand, it was his own decision, then he can only blame himself.

3 Likes

Some team tbf

1 Like

Agree. I personally am convinced it is not he who limited his own budget, the stadium decision was on the board and the more efficient we were with money the sooner austerity would be over, so we budgeted for top 4 because CL brings money, we bought kids and developed them because that is profitable and so on. Kroenke is the only one who could’ve pushed in more money at that point to reduce our down-time I think.

Either way, now that it is over and we can clearly spend it is time for Wenger deliver, and the close future is when he can fairly be judged as a manager again. We can and are now closing the economical gap to get a fair enough playing field. Being outspent by 50% or so each window is not as bad as being outspent by 500%, but ofc it’ll take a few windows to reinforce enough to challenge a continuously refreshed “oil squad” (for lack of words).

I have also wanted a striker since forever, We have bid for Suarez, Vardy and Lacazette -that we know of- and most likely others as well, but my guess is that we simply lack the pulling power. Money doesn’t talk entirely or every good player would play in China. For now hopefully Alexis or Perez shines or we need to keep looking, as I agree it is the difference. I can understand wanting to buy quality GKs and CBs but now that we have that we need to find a quality striker. If for example we had some Lewandowski-esque type up front last season instead of a Giroud who didn’t score for 15 bloody games in a row we probably would’ve won the league.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP9UGxaH_fM&feature=youtu.be

I wonder if Arsene thought before th interview, why are you still working for Sky and not on the hype train with me?

I find this such a misconception. Sure we bought the likes of Denilson, Song, Ramsey, Bellerin, Chamberlain etc very young. But Sagna, Gallas, Eduardo, Hleb, Rosicky, Nasri, Vermaelen, Arshavin, Koscielny, Gervinho, Arteta. Mertesacker, Giroud etc. weren’t exactly kids. All of the aforementioned youngsters had ‘adults’ starting in front of them during there first 2-3 seasons.