Arsène Wenger

It is poor planning for the club that neither Perez or Mustafi were established as transfer targets until this point in the window. We’ve already dropped 5 points, have a squad that is ill prepared for the season ahead and now we’ve signed two players late in the window that will actually need a little more time to settle.

In essence, I’m happy with the signings but disappointed that they weren’t a product of a well thought out transfer window and essentially two panic buys.

4 Likes

Maxi, you and your like’s first mistake is thinking transfer dithering was the only criticism of Wenger today.

It certainly isn’t the main one for me.

3 Likes

Wengers faults are legion,pissing about in transfer windows is but one weakness . But if these signings kick start the campaign then fcuk it lets go.
PSG away booked going to Forest away too . Its time for football again.

2 Likes

A pumped up Drayton.

4 Likes

I have to say, I never thought Wenger would sign-off on Mustafi for £35m.

He’s been getting loads of stick from the fans recently but did anybody truly think we would pay that much to get it done? I had fully given up hope on this signing.

I’m impressed even if it is a month too late.

The defensive roster is complete now (bad news for Chambers), we have a plethora of hard-working, combative midfielders (Xhaka, Coquelin and Elneny) and we’ve signed a striker at long last.

Was very concerned that even top 4 would be a struggle this season but those are important additions and they make a big difference. The league is a pipe-dream but we can at least look forward to some new faces.

Crazy how excited you can get over a couple of new signings!

3 Likes

Sorry to burst the bubble a bit, but so far we’ve bought nothing to get the heart racing or think we’re going for anything above 4th. Be honest, if Spurs or Liverpool had signed Lucas, Mustafi and Xhaka, would we be shitting ourselves?

Striker nearly 28 with one season as a forward. A defender who most who watch him aren’t 100% about and a midfielder with question marks. In fact all 3 players with question marks.

I’m not unhappy with any of these deals but we haven’t exactly signed Suarez or Ozil. These players are still on the whole unproven at the top level. That doesn’t mean they won’t prove worthy but from what I can see there’s no reason to expect greatness. Just because we’ve spent a lot on paper doesn’t mean we’re suddenly titleworthy and all these players will be hits.

My biggest thing is Wenger, and can he fit these guys into some kind of system like he has done before? He’ll be the deciding factor at the end of the day, not necessarily the names we signed.

13 Likes

Craigie is right.

All 3 could turn out to be bang average. And thats criminal for the money spent. All are question marks till proven otherwise. They haven’t come with World Class reputations. Not saying they aren’t good…but we have rolled the dice on these transfers a bit.

3 Likes

Well I’m still excited, you can’t take that shit away from me

6 Likes

Same. Personally think we’re in with a shout for the title - don’t think we’ll win but we’re looking strong with those two extra squad members. Wish they had come weeks ago so we hadn’t had this faltering start.

I always do the XI, but given that our squad is complete:

Cech

Bellerin - Mustafi - Koscielny - Monreal

Xhaka - Cazorla

Ox - Ozil - Sanchez

Perez

Basically what I’ve gathered Here is that wengers woe is me, transfer market bullying of the fans has worked. We’ve all gone from demanding a top striker, to acceptance of a middling one, to being rejected by the middling one, to now signing a shot in the dark that No one wanted and people are happy about that? The cult still runs deep…

3 Likes

[quote=“Maxi_Gooner, post:1142, topic:125, full:true”]
Where are the fucking WOBs? Where is the fucking Piers Morgan? Where is the fucking fascist DT?

Thanks to God, they are nothing and the manager is Mr Arsène Wenger who improved our squad buying important players for the present and for the future.

In two years he built the new spine Cech, Mustafi, Xhaka and Lucas with around them giant players like Santi Cazorla, Laurent Koscielny, Mesut Ozil, Olivier Giroud, Hector Bellerìn and Alexis Sanchez, players who need to show finally their qualities like Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Oxlade, Gabriel and Walcott, solid players like Nacho Monreal, Elneny, Coquelin, Ospina and youngstars like Jeff, Iwobi, Rob Holding, Bielik, Willock, Gnabry and Asano.

Proud of him, proud to consider him my football father, PROUD TO SUPPORT ARSENAL!!!
[/quote]Does that mean we are going to win the PL?

morris, it is what it is. it’s FAR from perfect and i’m not happy with many aspects of this transfer window and especially our manager. but i can’t take the bile and negativity (especially from myself) any more. the season has just started and for right now i just want to enjoy the footy again.

Chances are without the fan pressure we wouldn’t have signed(?) these 2 guys. and yes, if they were our intended targets- they should have been signed the moment the window opened. at the very least they should have been signed as soon as the euros were over.

As i said, it is what it is and hopefully all of our major signings work out…

ON TO WATFORD!

3 Likes

These deals have shown Arsenal fans will be happy with literally anyone.

3 Likes

Mate, what are we going to do, stayed pissed the entire season? these guys haven’t even signed for us yet, let alone kick a ball in anger.

If these deals do indeed get done and once the TW window closes there’s not much we can do.

Personally, i’m all moaned out with regards to this window.

3 Likes

No doubt “the cult still runs deep” with some, but on the whole I don’t think it’s a case of people swallowing what Wenger told us, I think it’s just relief that we have actually signed someone when a lot of us had serious doubts that we would.

I’m not excited by this but I’m certainly intrigued. A new signing is a new signing and you can’t blame people if they are a bit excited (or whichever word you want to use) at the prospect of improving our attack and playing football that is a bit more pleasing on the eye.

It’s just making the best of a bad lot and not everyone has your appetite for constantly being furious about Arsenal.

[quote=“Arsenal4thetreble, post:1160, topic:125, full:true”]
As an AKB, imo, you can’t really gloat too much about these signings. They really should have been done before the season started. Kudos to Wenger for buying some good players though.

Now the argument will probably turn to why didn’t Arsene buy these guys before we dropped 5 out of 6 points to open the season? Which I don’t think would have mattered one bit. With the squad we have we should be fully capable of taking the full points from the first two matches. I would have to agree with everyone that’s already said Arsene hadn’t prepared the team. Not in terms of signings, but just in terms of having a wide open midfield and making little mistakes here and there leading to us dropping points. Watching lolpool stroll through the defense and midfield reminded me a lot of watching Swansea and United do the same about 6 months ago.

Even if we won the league you’d still have the fanatical wobs come out saying how come we’ve failed to do so in the last 10 years and why haven’t we won the CL because that’s just the nature of the supporter base these days, we’ve always had the group that has developed some sort of obsession with Wenger and as a validation of themselves want his failure, even though it coincides with Arsenal not being successful. You can see it by the outlandish statements like Arsene will never win a cup again, or he’ll never spend x amount on a player. Anyways like I said, I’m hoping for the best this year, but some of the tactical failings really can’t be argued at this point, even though I feel a lot of times you can make the same criticisms of any other top manager in the world. However Arsene is his own enemy there because if he wants to be above that criticism he needs to win. The recipe for winning right now is just spending an insane amount of money regardless of whether you get it wrong, eventually you’ll get it right.
[/quote]Good post, but I would have to disagree with what you said about " wanting his failure."
That simply isn’t true.
What most supporters want is to see the club do everything it possibly can to do what is best for us.
So when we see underwhelming transfers, repeated mistakes, not being properly prepared at the start of the season, leaving gaping holes in the squad, it is extremely frustrating.

If we bought a world class striker, winger and CB, and still finish fourth, I would be more than happy because at least we had done everything we could, but in previous seasons when we have glaring holes in the team as well as too many under performing players, it hasn’t been good enough, especially given the empty promises by Wenger and Gazidis.

This transfer window has at least addressed the CB position and we have Xhaka who looks to be a good signing, although the striker position, which was the most important that needed sorting, is still a bit doubtful.

I think it’s unfair of you to assume that because a lot of people criticise Wenger that we want him to do badly
It’s just that when you see the same mistakes every season, with the same inevitable results, it becomes so annoying when we have the resources to do something about it.

Let’s hope has done enough in this transfer window to keep up with the other big clubs.

2 Likes

I’m happy enough with Xhaka and hopefully Mustafi - even though I think he’s coming with more question marks than people are letting on - but watching fans lose their shit over Perez being our new striker is a little strange.

These signings will get us top four and probably sustain a new contract for Wenger. No more. So yeh I’m not exactly over the moon.

2 Likes

Agreed @g4e some of you need to cheer up for fucks sake. We just spend 35M on a defender who we badly need and got a striker which we badly needed aswell he may not be a name but he sounds good.

Am I reading a different forum?