Arsène Wenger

Wow. We’re back to DEFCON 3.

Yes, you could buy the honesty to admit to have wasted time blaming the manager without wait the end of the window to judge.

Peace :raised_hands:

1 Like

In May 2017 or or in the past, as you wish.
There is no good or bad in faith, you just have it or not.
Wenger’s success a decade ago gave you faith, and Wenger’s past 5 season’s record did not give me faith.
This is it.

1 Like

I’m personally not that thrilled with this window. Xhaka had me excited but what’s followed that hasn’t been particularly inspiring. Holding could turn out to be a master stroke and I naturally hope he does but my hopes in that department are fully on Mustafi for now. Lucas Perez? Never heard of him and have no idea what to expect. So, Basically, I’ll judge these acquisitions properly in May. (Hopefully having seen them become PL & CL winners ;))

Up The Arsenal!

3 Likes

So, back in May the Arsenal Supporters Trust did a detailed estimate of Arsenal’s 2016 summer transfer budget and came up with the figure of £96 million. Anybody with some basic arithmetic skills want to take a crack at adding up the total spending once the Lucas and Mustafi deals are completed?

But some of you will never be satisfied. You’ll find something to complain about no matter what. Wenger could buy Messi, Suarez, Thiago Silva, Diego Godin and time traveling Diego Frickin’ Maradona circa 1986 and some of you would still find something to bitch about. Miserable damned bunch.

1 Like

I’ll judge him as i see fit. For at least 5 years he hasn’t done everything he could to prepare this team. This summer is no different and you can act like everything ok because ornstein has spoken all you want but in the mean time I’ll focus on the reality of 1 point from 6 and that the deals aren’t even confirmed yet.

2 Likes

£35m - Xhaka Khan
£35m - Mustafi
£02m - Holding the fort
£17m - Lucas Perez
£WhateverAsanoCost

Not knowing what Asano cost, I’ll say £89m.

I’m not thrilled with the players we bought but at least Arsene got out there and plugged gaps in the squad.

We still aren’t coming higher than 4th & we still don’t have a world class striker so pipe down.

1 Like

Beating your chest and praising Wenger for the (hopefully) soon confirmed signings is all good and well, however childish it may be. Criticism for not addressing the gaps earlier, playing the waiting game, not preparing the team during pre-season, lack of tactical depth, repetitive failings etc are however all very viable and must be taken into consideration. These are concerns any sane fan can see and should be worried about.

Hopefully both Mustafi and Perez will have a good impact on our game and season though. Even if I’m not sure that just “signing some players” is the biggest issue we are facing this season it’s good to finally get the CB position sorted! I know it will save us fans a lot of stress and frustration.

1 Like

Virtually every club is still “plugging gaps.” Saint Guardiola just signed a new goalkeeper today. Conte is still scrambling to bring in at least one defender (and noted that it’s very difficult – despite his club’s moneybags status – partially because every time he makes an inquiry about a player Arsenal is already there). And unlike the clubs you want Arsenal to be like, Arsenal actually has a budget and a philosophy of living within its means as a club. Every club has problems in today’s transfer market. Even the oil clubs. But a budget makes it even more difficult to piece together the best club possible. This isn’t a video game or a fantasy game.

1 Like

As an AKB, imo, you can’t really gloat too much about these signings. They really should have been done before the season started. Kudos to Wenger for buying some good players though.

Now the argument will probably turn to why didn’t Arsene buy these guys before we dropped 5 out of 6 points to open the season? Which I don’t think would have mattered one bit. With the squad we have we should be fully capable of taking the full points from the first two matches. I would have to agree with everyone that’s already said Arsene hadn’t prepared the team. Not in terms of signings, but just in terms of having a wide open midfield and making little mistakes here and there leading to us dropping points. Watching lolpool stroll through the defense and midfield reminded me a lot of watching Swansea and United do the same about 6 months ago.

Even if we won the league you’d still have the fanatical wobs come out saying how come we’ve failed to do so in the last 10 years and why haven’t we won the CL because that’s just the nature of the supporter base these days, we’ve always had the group that has developed some sort of obsession with Wenger and as a validation of themselves want his failure, even though it coincides with Arsenal not being successful. You can see it by the outlandish statements like Arsene will never win a cup again, or he’ll never spend x amount on a player. Anyways like I said, I’m hoping for the best this year, but some of the tactical failings really can’t be argued at this point, even though I feel a lot of times you can make the same criticisms of any other top manager in the world. However Arsene is his own enemy there because if he wants to be above that criticism he needs to win. The recipe for winning right now is just spending an insane amount of money regardless of whether you get it wrong, eventually you’ll get it right.

1 Like

No need for you to be a cunt just because Holding didn’t cost £55m.

6 Likes

https://vine.co/v/OJhWmlPVMPZ

7 Likes

@Maxi_Gooner just crossed the line into self-parody.

10 Likes

Winner.

Can we have them play a game of football first before we go in circles and pat him on the back? Arsene Wenger may really be the only manager in world football that gets credit for actually signing anyone.

I agree. I should be holding off criticism anyway just because he’s English.

Honestly, Wenger has done great with coming up with quotable stuff in the last month or so. Can’t think of a time he’s been on fire like that in quite some years.

1 Like

Ah. I see what you did there. Select a partial of my entire post which suited your needs and agenda. You even topped it off with an imaginary view of what you think I want, ending up totally missing the point. Congratulations.

Eh Guardiola assessed his keeper options over pre season and then decided they weren’t good enough. Joe Hart is widely recognised as a top class goalkeeper (possibly amongst the world’s top ten) but that wasn’t enough for pep so he signed someone who was better (in his opinion anyway, I’ve no idea if Bravo is any use).

Chelsea are trying to sign a defender because they want to improve there also as opposed to us missing two first team defenders to injury and another to holidays. The situations aren’t the same.

2 Likes

Maxi’s on fire the fuckings WOBs are terrified !

4 Likes