Arsène Wenger

You do realize every Arsenal fan in the entire world aren’t confined to OnlineArsenal?

He signed the players that were needed in a centre back, defensive midfielder and striker we’ll have a great season now

People getting all excited over a new striker was to be expected Castiel. look at the shit we’ve had to put up with ever since we lost RvP. i said after Giroud’s first season on the old boards Giroud would never be better than he was then and i got shot down by all the Giroud lovers.

I’m not happy it’s taken this long to find a replacement(?) for that over grown traffic cone, i’m even less impressed with it’s taken this long to buy someone who most likely would have ended up at Everton. but as i said above, it is what is. in truth it won’t get better than this for at least one more season. probably longer if Wenger gets an extension.

If Wenger does get an extension without delivering at least the premier league title, well, we all know each others thoughts on that one.

1 Like

Am I reading a different Internet?

Not even the most optimistic of all places are hyping this to be some kind of genius move, at least not as far as i’m aware. Most would have just taken a striker at this point, similar to how you would have picked Evans as our CB this far into the window without questioning the decision.

4 Likes

Exactly.

We must be the only top club in Europe to have supporters that get this excited about signing Perez and Mustafa.
This is what big clubs are supposed to do, not wait until we have so many injuries and are so desperate that we need to sign them, because we might not get a top four place.

2 Likes

While i get the point you’re making PPB, i wouldn’t stretch that point to include Evens to AFC vs no one lol

I shouldn’t be surprised. People lost their shit over Chamwank, Park Chu Wank, and even Wank Wank Sanogo. What the fuck is wrong with people? Do you ever fucking learn? Wenger isnt a good manager, he doesn’t have a good eye for talent anymore, and he’s reactionary it’s a crushing combo that I now see is being lapped up. This fucker has been starving us for a long time so now he throws us a moldy hot dog and the delusion of AKB’s make it look like filet mignon.

3 Likes

Totally different scenario, we would have gotten away with a Williams, Evans type signing at CB, hell they might even have been better for us than Mustafi. Not to mention I know what Evans is capable of and how he would improve us.

We can’t continue without a world class CF but I guess winning the league doesn’t really matter since we’ve got our new toy.

But yes quite a few people are going on like kids on Xmas day over yesterdays dealings which is a little pathetic but I’m sure it will die down when the teens go back to school in a few days.

@morrisc311 Exactly and you just know the people who are lapping this mediocre business up are going to be the first to start complaining about Wenger when things go the way they always do. I’ll enjoy our business when we start producing transfers that will actually result in massive change.

3 Likes

With the exception of Maxi here, why on earth are you pushing such an aggressive agenda here. Apart from general excitement about signing a human football player, which is to be expected in some degree, no one is saying we’re going to be pushing any boundaries this season.

No matter who we sign nowadays, we all know the expectations under a Wenger tenure will prove fruitless.

1 Like

Therein lies the problem. We should be pushing the boundaries, anything else isn’t good enough with the resources we have.

While Morris goes about it in quite an intrusive manner he speaks a hell of a lot more sense than some on here and it can get frustrating when others fail to see/choose to ignore what is so blatantly obviously wrong with this club.

3 Likes

I was merely just using him to make my point more in the context of not having much time left in the window. I would have been perfectly ok with him earlier in the window as a CB as I didn’t see it as a position we had so much need to go for a name more than it was about how we defend.

We can continue with a striker that is competent. I made my point yesterday that you don’t necessarily need that holy world class striker to do well in the league, you just need someone who can actually play the right role and make use of the chances.

I’d take it as desperation that we were in dire need of a striker. If he’s good enough or not Wenger will be judged on his decision during or come end of the season and I reckon depending on how well we do he’ll also have his contract extension depend on it along having some of our key players decide if they’re at the right club.

Do well? Maybe, win it? Without a doubt you need that holy world class striker unless you have some elite Bayern set up where your wingers mince everything in their path. I guess that’s the difference in our moods, you want to do well and I want to win the title. Should I be more realistic or should you be more ambitious. Who knows, who cares, fuck life.

1 Like

Assuming Perez and Mustafi are done, it isn’t a terrible window, problem is:

1. We need exceptional, top talent and didn’t get any
  2. We need to make up for the shortcomings of other windows, including cleaning house and didn’t do it
  3. We waited too long for the types of signings we got - hurts our chances this year as 2/3 of the top signings won’t be well integrated until late Sept or early Oct… points are already lost. We are already behind the 2 big MANCs by 5 points.

I am pleased with Holding and Nkwali - we need more of these though.

Attitudinally, these signings really don’t show me anything - while a defender at 35 is notable, that might have simply been more a matter of panic b/c we played the market wrong and had injuries. And it isn’t like Mustafa is the next big thing at defender that everyone is raving about. Solid signing and I hope he is great for us, but I don’t see it as massive signal that Arsenal have changed their ways.

Realistically, we dithered and got a solid defender to shore up a shambles of a defense (after 2 games played) and we got an interesting striker/winger who is 27 and his best season is 17 in La Liga - he might come good, but let’s not kid ourselves. If he was signed at the beginning of the summer, I think all of us would have been shaking our heads in confusion.

It was the best we could do with the current team, manager, board, etc. - that isn’t awesome. It was also a bit of a panic buy b/c we weren’t going to get Griezman (LMAO) and time was ticking and we had ONE fit striker going into the season and it had already hurt us after 2 games played.

2 Likes

I think with the polarising groups aside, most people with an open mind have come to terms that there needs to be a shake up managerial and board level. We’ve seen this view change drastically in the past year or so in the ground and on the internet. Most of the level headed posters here and on old OA are seemingly more negative towards Wenger etc. Which says a lot as it was one of the more positive boards around.

1 Like

You’re honestly reading too much into my use of words. Who says that doing well doesn’t mean winning the league.

Also winning the league isn’t so much about having one player score all of your goals, but about maximizing goals for your whole team and Alexis chipping in with a season like two years ago and our right wing being somewhat not incapable could very much be enough as long as our striker reaches close to 20 goals, which just for your information is about as much as Costa, Aguero, Vardy, RVP (slightly higher) scored when they won their team the league.

Feel free to argue now if scoring 4 more goals than Giroud over a full season is really the step from an ok striker to world class. At least I don’t think so.

I know without even checking that Vardy scored 24 and RVP 26 to win the title for their teams, I can’t remember what Aguero scored but it was over 20 surely. Costa suits your argument though so lets go with him, do you really think Arsene is going to get a Mouhrino-esque performance from his team? Nah me either, so a top striker is probably our best bet at winning the league.

I’d nearly guarantee you that if one of our strikers doesn’t score over 20 this season we aren’t winning the league. Who knows maybe Perez will be capable of that but colour me dubious.

It’s all from open play. The problem with penalties is that it boosts the taker’s stats, so if let’s assume Giroud takes all of the penalties that Cazorla or Arteta took over the years we’d be looking at a 20-25 goals a season goal-scorer in Giroud too and everyone would run rampage with how he’s putting up better numbers than a lot of other players that are actually superior to him.

Before you say it, I know scoring penalties is a skill too and we had it yesterday already, but for the sake of simplifying the argument and to have a more even ground for comparison I think it’s easier to just leave them out.

i.e. it totally shatters my argument that you don’t need a world class striker so let’s just pretend penalty goals don’t count. Haha like you said we did this dance yesterday and I don’t entirely disagree with you I just feel that penalties or not Giroud isn’t going to lead us to a title.

Getting back to your original point perhaps Perez being quicker and more mobile will allow us to play better football, I mean in theory Ozil will thrive much better. Giroud and Alexis don’t seem to gel either, matter of fact I think Giroud is a black hole that sucks in everything true and good when it comes to our game style. If this Perez guy is any sort of of footballer and has any sort of Spanish education then our game should improve massively. I just think it’s all too hypothetical for my liking and I’d rather we went for a big name to improve moral and give us somewhat of a sure thing upfront after so many years of watching dross.

1 Like

Not the signings I wanted but they are better than having gaps in the squad and who knows maybe they’ll make the difference. A year ago no one wanted Mahrez or Vardy. Several players who we’ve bought in the past have been relatively unknown. I’m not going to celebrate but at least I can be optimistic now

1 Like

So much I agree with. He’s not going to be the solution, just if we had an actually competent striker next to him it wouldn’t be so much of a problem.

Exactly, there’s me hoping that we’ll see an improvement on how we play.

Fair enough, I think that’s how most people feel and certainly me too, but now that the damage is done there’s no reason to not at least see how it pans out even if I don’t have so much faith that we’ll see a real challenge in any competition from the team, at least not right now.