Yannick Ferreira Carrasco (and a load of other irrelevant shite)

I think one day people will wise up to how those actually running the football side of things are far more culpable for our decline than Stan ever has been.

He’s a shit owner for keeping Wenger for so long but he isn’t the worst owner in the PL that’s for sure. He’s largely hands off and rightly leaves the football decisions to the football people.

He certainly could have done more.

7 Likes

I agree, he is far from blameless and didnt react quick enough or well enough and left things too late also agree he aint the worst either at least he leave the club the fuck alone and hasnt loaded it with debt or taken its resources…he is ‘meh’ could do a lot worse in ways but at the same time could sure as hell do with a more active owner.

Same time though do we really want a meddling owner, people love to see an owner investing their own money but do you think they do that for the love of the game everyone goes on about abramovich. This guy though hasnt done it out of love Chavski owe him over £1b now they will have to pay that some time, so i rather us struggle through and not touch any owners money!

There is a massive difference between a faceless organisation like Apple and a football club.
A football club has supporters with an emotional attachment that is rarely swapped to another club and club owners, like Kroenke, rely on this to squeeze out as much money as they can for them with the minimum amount of investment from themselves.

I don’t want to keep going over the same arguments but all I will say is clubs like Wolves or Everton, with an ambitious owner, and despite the fact they are smaller than us in terms of revenue, decide to employ the best manager and backroom staff, which clearly we haven’t, and continue to be ambitious, we could see that sort of club overtaking us.

But as I say, Kroenke doesn’t care as long as he’s making a profit and all he has to do to achieve that is the bare minimum.
He has dragged us down to a level, that most supporters didn’t expect a few seasons ago, with poor decision making making and a complete lack of urgency and ambition and if it continues we will be overtaken by more than just spurs.

1 Like

I agree that we could have a worse owner, but the only positive argument you can really come up with is what he hasn’t done.
I think the worst thing about it is not anything he’s done wrong per say, but more of an attitude of complete indifference towards the club. You’d think any other owner would at least take interest in the club, watch a few matches, have some input etc. With that you might then get an owner who overules the club in terms of transfer targets etc which is not what you want, but tbh I’d take an owner like that who at least has a clear interest in the club.

There’s a clear difference between not enforcing your opinions because you want to leave it to the people best placed, and Stan who has no involvement purely because he doesn’t give a shit.

2 Likes

But there are financial implications to making bad decisions - that is the fallacy in these arguments… one can debate about investment - fine, even though we are basically operating the same as previously. But assuming he doesn’t care about anything else relative to performance doesn’t make logical sense b/c that has FINANCIAL implications, as SwissRamble has pointed out.

Even under Wenger, there are tons of examples of where we made bad choices on solely financial terms, but nobody would argue we did that on purpose or took those decisions less seriously…

He is hands-off on footballing matters, which is how it should be. If he is faulted, it is holding onto big Weng too long and relying too much on Gaz perhaps…

Our failures really are at the football management level, especially in comparison to clubs like Spurs and Pool.

3 Likes

Quite agree with you. I find it hard to believe there are so many people on here arguing Kroenke isn’t that bad or the main problem or refusing to accept that a properly united fan base may just be able to encourage him to move on or even saying what’s the point we could end up with worse!!

I spent years and years in business and it was always the same. Businesses with shit owners go down the shitter while those with good ones thrive. I definitely put Kroenke in the bottom quartile of owners and that’s where the club will slowly drift to.

Champions league qualification and better will just slowly and inexorably move away from us the more years this guy stays around. Three years now without it and they’re still lots of people failing to see the primary cause is Kroenke.

The transfer window that hasn’t produced anything yet - just for a change!! The club saying oh we’re self financing while it spends a fortune servicing debt (repayment of which adds pound for pound to Kroenkes value) rather than sorting out the defence or a proper Ramsey replacement.

Fans can refuse to see it but they’re just blind to the reality of what’s been going on here.

2 Likes

Well yeah bad owners tends to be bad for business lol… but you haven’t proven he is a “bad owner” other than repeating the same things that most of us are saying are relating to football matters - again, other than perhaps allowing big Weng to hang on too long.

Activist owners who have no idea about the sporting side are demonstrably “sh*t owners” to use your language - they sometimes make up for it by outspending everyone, but that isn’t our model (nor is it Spurs or Pool or even Chelsea in the last 4-5 years)… our owner has provided a net spend higher than Pool or Spurs and basically even with Chelsea in the combined last 7 years.

1 Like

Checks thread for news after 11 new posts. Nope all 11 posts have nothing to do with Carrasco. Never change OA. Long live the thread hijacks :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t think this one is for happening.

I don’t want it to either lol.

We may as well rename the thread The Stan Appreciation Society :joy:

Fraser Union

1 Like

Nah. They won’t. Whoever buys them will.

Everton hired Koeman and Martinez and Duncan Ferguson has been a coach there for years. Your story doesn’t check out.

3 Likes

I’d honestly start moderating in topic diversions if they suddenly disappeared.

1 Like

Oops. :grimacing:

Yes it does.
The fact they hired them, and then when they were not getting the results they got rid of them, would suggest that by not tolerating mediocrity means they have more urgency and less complacency than our board.

Having a manager that doesn’t work out is something that happens to every club.
Having a manager that doesn’t work out and then keep hold of them for a few seasons while dragging the team down is something our board do.

1 Like

Have you listened to yourself…man smdh!!

I could say the same about you.
What have I said that’s wrong in that last post?

It is one example - Arsene - and again, that has at least some bit of understandability since he was a singular legendary figure at Arsenal and moving on from him was always going to be difficult. If that is your only criticism (it is mine), then it is hardly fair to paint them as not caring or acting foolishly in that one instance given the circumstances.

1 Like