Wrestling

Yeah lol that’s the one

1 Like

Yeah it was, an absolutely dreadful match all about Hogan just getting his win back.

4 Likes

Been watching Bret shoot’s recently, I could honestly listen to the guy talk for hours without getting bored. I love his brutal honesty.

3 Likes

Agreed but to be fair it is in hindsight, I don’t think it was expected for Goldberg to fizzle out like he did and Bischoff takes most of the responsibility for that for letting politics get in the way.

Ironically, look how pumped the crowd was for a face v face match. Keep in mind this didn’t involve any nWo. Just’s WCW’s best.

2 Likes

Now imagine if they gave the Cruiserweights a main event spot

Yep. The business was so hot back then that you could pit your two biggest baby faces without needing any outside heel interference.

Stone Cold vs. Taker happened at Summerslam 98 too, so around the same time and it was just baby face vs baby face with a clean finish.

To me, the nWo needed to go in its own direction (civil war followed by total disbandment sometime in 1999), DDP goes over Goldberg by hitting him with like 3 diamond cutters and the company starts to push guys like Booker / Steiner / Jericho up the card to be competition against DDP.

2 Likes

Bret is seriously misunderstood, everyone lets his ‘bitterness’ cloud their judgement. Despite that him being bitter makes absolute sense. His brother died in the ring over something unnecessary and his boss betrayed him and he went into the political hell that is WCW. This all happened in a space of 2 years. This would destroy almost anybody.

4 Likes

Depends on who, Eddie Guerrero, Mysterio and Jericho absolutely. The rest? Na they were used right.

1 Like

I don’t detect bitterness in Bret, I just hear a guy who’s been wronged too many times by the business.

Owen and Davey are dead, Vince tried to shortchange Stu for the Stampede rights, Vince screwed Bret, Bret had his career ended by a Goldberg superkick and retired prematurely.

The guy, like you said, has been through a lot and went from being the biggest heel in the business around the tail end of 1997 to a misused superstar by 1998/99 in WCW.

The company should have been built around Bret, Sting, Goldberg in 1998 with a move towards DDP, Steiner, Booker T and Jericho in late 98/99.

Instead they still had Hogan as champ by like 2000 and put the belt on shitters like Jarrett (who should NEVER have been a champ because he didn’t draw a dime).

1 Like

I maintain the new blood angle as an idea is sound. But out of everybody you could push. You pick…Jeff Jarrett? It was a mess but the biggest problem is that Jeff Jarrett just sucked. Wrestling is no stranger to being a mess but it always been ok as long as the right people were where they should be.

1 Like

I watched Jericho’s interview on Austin’s WWE Network show today. It was properly mind blowing at first to see them openly discussing AEW, wrestlers who work there, even putting up pictures of Jericho with the AEW title, like I genuinely couldn’t believe WWE (or, more specifically, Vince) had sanctioned that on an official WWE show.

However, more than that it was genuinely really entertaining and enlightening. I never knew how much it affected Jericho that his story with KO got bumped down the card at Mania 33 although I can see why as it was easily the best told story on the card.

It is over 2 hours so if you want a nice quick summary, this is a good one:

1 Like

Absolutely this.

Add to that that he suffered strokes in the ring because of that bumbling oaf Goldberg who had about as much in his repertoire as Giant Gonzalez and it’s a career dramatically cut short.

Bret often said that WCW wasn’t polished enough. I agree with him. The alternative would have been to stay with Vinnie (which he couldn’t cos of the WWF wanting to reduce their wage bill). I think if Bret had stayed in the WWF in 98, his legacy would have been tarnished. The storylines they were coming out with were close to the cuff and Bret has always been about the wrestling.

Really is the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be.

1 Like

WWE just released 6 wrestlers. Yearly spring cleaning by the looks of it. Billie Kay, Mickie James, Kalisto, Chelsea Green, Wesley Blake and Tucker all gone

SAMOA JOES GONE TOO NO

That’s bloody harsh on Chelsea Green, made her main roster debut and broke her wrist and that’s it.

WWE saying it’s for budget cuts, they literally just signed a $1bn deal with peacock lmaoooo as badly run as Arsenal

WWE have been, if anything, more successful in the pandemic than before it.

Samoa Joe was uselessly underused in WWE anyway.

Samoa Joe is about to be the best thing in AEW. What a stupid decision.

2 Likes

These guys don’t draw a dime. Samoa Joe has always just been a solid worker but he’s not a draw.

1 Like

Not for WWE (though I’d argue he was a big factor in NXT’s emergence) but he did for TNA. His booking hasn’t been worth a damn on the main roster.