Wrestling

AEW are fucked if this happens. Being owned by the Saudi Public Investment Fund, same guys as Newcastle. WWE essentially will have a bottomless pit of money.

Raj deleted his message about Triple H staying on. Yikes. Theyā€™re going on a madness. :scissors:

There it is.

This could be very good, or very bad. Iā€™m thinking latter

Vince is dead set on taking his baby to the grave with him

Does this make AEW then #1 promotion in US? :rofl:

My brother loves wrestling, and hates football. He went really hard on the World Cup, saying you couldnā€™t claim to care about gay rights or human rights if you watched any of the World Cup.

So I really wanna see if he keeps that energy if itā€™s true that the Saudi PIF really has bought WWE :grin:

2 Likes

I wonder what this means about the upcoming Road To Wrestlemania. The Rock got a fair amount of shit for Black Adam flopping and people have been on him a lot last year. Even got shit from Joe Rogan for claiming he isnā€™t on steroids.

Is doing business with Vince with the sexual allegations ongoing and the Saudi connection a good move for him?

Itā€™s crazy that it looks like the most famous wrestling company ever is about to be owned by the Saudis.

Weā€™ve got a PL team owned by the Saudis.

Weā€™ve got multiple other major European clubs owned by Qatar and UAE.

Weā€™ve just had the biggest sporting even on earth in Qatar.

All the major major boxing fights are being pitched out in Saudi and UAE. UFC is hosting regular events in UAE.

The Gulf States have won. They truly have used their money to import the ā€œbest of the westā€ whilst continuing to say :fu:t3: to human rights and any alternative way of life.

Didnā€™t Rock partially find the one of the major wrestling documentary producers so they wouldnā€™t make a documentary on his father?

The Rock is as shady as the rest of them lol

Canā€™t help but feel weā€™ll one day regret selling so many cultural assets to these regimes, let alone apparently being cool with them and Russians buying up half of our capital city lol

2 Likes

Genuinely Iā€™ve been mulling that over this morning (Iā€™m off work at the moment ). I could just about turn a blind eye to the couple of Saudi shows they do a year, this is on another level though.

I think we might see something similar to whatā€™s being done at Newcastle - the Saudis seem to be going out of their way to make their Newcastle project as English as possible at the moment and I wonder if WWE might be marketed in a super-American super-old school WWE way. Sportswashing is an insidious business.

1 Like

I wonder what this means about their womenā€™s division.

Theyā€™ve put quite a lot of work in the past decade or so. It certainly has evolved from the stripper fest it used be in the past but thereā€™s still a bit sex appeal involved. I assume would be a no-go from now on.

That doesnā€™t seem to be how the Saudis do their sportswashing. If anything Iā€™d imagine theyā€™ll make a point of allowing womenā€™s wrestling to continue on an upward trajectory in the same way they allow women to perform in WWE shows in Saudi now. Itā€™s all part of projecting a nice westernised version of themselves to that audience to persuade them to look the other way at the rest of their conduct.

2 Likes

Seems like talk the deal is already done is premature

1 Like

Or itā€™s damage control.

There is certainly a possibility whoever leaked it actually did it on purpose so WWE faces the backlash and they chicken out.

I doubt they do though.

Thereā€™s no reason for them to back out. Anyone who is criticised over selling the company to the Saudis will have a large pile of money to console them.

1 Like

What is Vince gonna do with that though? Heā€™s with one foot in the grave.
His relationship with his kids isnā€™t great from what we hear.
Him and his wife have been ā€œsplitā€ for some time.

Maybe so but if thereā€™s one human being on earth that couldnā€™t care less if people are angry with him for selling to Saudi Arabia itā€™s Vince McMahon.

1 Like
1 Like