Worst Arsenal Moment of the Decade

He scored 22 goals just 6 months prior. It is only with hindsight that you are saying this.
If Persie had a reoccurence of his injury, his form wouldn’t have mattered and everyone here would have been okay with selling him just like we are okay with selling Sanchez now.

1 Like

It isn’t he was terrible in the first half of 10/11 the only good game he had was funnily enough against Chelsea. Everyone new he was done but Chelsea still paid 50M I think for him and in 2011 that was massive :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Torres was 26-27 year old at the time. That is supposed to be prime age for a striker. He was a class striker at the time and was going through injury concerns and poor form.
At that time, no one would have brushed aside the possibility that he could regain his form.

50m was a stupid amount but it was still an English club selling one of their best asset to another English club.

1 Like

This is definitely not true. Torres had struggles with injuries and looked slightly off the boil but having a bad few months did not equate to everybody thinking he was done.

He was still considered an elite PL striker when Chelsea signed him.

I’m not sure many people would have predicted how bad his run at Chelsea would have been,

2 Likes

Just reminded me of Torres in his pomp, what a striker. He had pace and power, great in the air as well. One of the most complete strikers of the PL era when he was at Liverpool.

Some compelling posts above. I think I forget the Birmingham defeat because it was so long ago, but going into that I just never even considered that we might lose. It was so embarrassing, but also immensely destructive to our confidence.

Like @SRCJJ, I hid after the 8-2 loss. Got panned by friends, family and work colleagues for weeks / months after that. Horrible, horrible time to have been an Arsenal fan :rofl:

2 Likes

Wait, it took that long for him to be banned?

The man child said racists shit when he was having a tantrum like 5 years ago.

Wow.

1 Like

Yeah but we basically conceded any fight for the title by selling him. It was a shit cunt of a situation that.

I voted for selling RVP to Utd.

For me though the 15/16 season where Leicester won the league was the saddest season for me, that was the season where all the so called big teams under performed and we had it in our grasp to win the league. Such a disappointment.

aaaggghhh when scrolling up i caught an option and its not the one i voted for (can you change the choice?)

i feel the 8-2 was the worst because it not only was so embarrassing and humiliating it was the attitude of the players and also that of the manager. The way those scummy cunts at manu were playing to make a mockery of us a club they had this arrogance about them and they were literally laughing at us and they could have easily scored even more they were showboating and toying with us scoring at will each time they scored their celebrations were more vile and sickening.

Whilst all of this was going on wenger had all fucking summer to sort the squad out. All summer people were saying what we needed in the squad and we had so many holes in it was paper thin and everyone knew this apart from wenger apparently. Worse than that he came out later on saying that the players were already jaded and were not prepared etc and i was thinking what in the fuck is this guy doing what happened in preseason why arent they ready what is going on. After that it was the same every fucking year always hearing that preseason wasnt done right the players werent prepared they were tired etc. This to me just showed that even the manager didnt even seem to care no effort was put forth to get preseason right get the right players in get the player match fit. Nothing but same shit every season no planning half assed transfers and you knew what was coming every goddamn season and every season the same fucking tired excuses.

2 Likes

Yes. Just click Hide results and vote again :slight_smile:

People need to shut the fuck up about the 8 - 2 defeat. That shit happens sometimes especially when ur fielding a terrible team featuring Carl Jenkinson and Traore vs a title contender. The saddest part about that was Arsenal trying to rush out and panic buy a bunch of mediocre players after, as if they were gonna improve us from being shit to less shit :joy::joy: the reality of the situation was that we just weren’t at a level we could compete back then, and we still aren’t considering how much a PL title costs nowadays.

but why did we have those players playing…simply because of poor planning

1 Like

Nah because we were poor af and didnt have the resources to compete with the best sides in the country. It’s a lot more nuanced of a conversation than that tho :+1:

1 Like

Why’d we lose 6-1 a decade earlier then lol

1 Like

The sad thing I see as a recurring theme about that 8 - 2 defeat are ppl complaining that their own personal fragile egos were damaged by that match :joy::joy: that’s not an Arsenal problem that’s a you problem my dood :joy::joy::+1::+1:

1 Like

But we were the only side that season that got thrashed 8-2 by them.
It was poor preparation, poor planning and poor in the transfer market.
Everything in that window was indecisive and lacking in ambition.

It’s a good job we’re not like that any more, otherwise we’d be out of the top four places, going nowhere and looking in the bargain basement for a new manager. :grinning:

2 Likes

Where to start

Wenger and Ozil fanboys are definitely top of the list for me.

Utd 8-2. Chelsea 6-0. But Newcastle 4-4 after been 4-0 up was the worst.

Giving Wenger contract extensions moved the club back a few years.

Finishing 2nd after Leicester, not spending any money that summer besides on Cech and only getting 2nd cause Spurs blew it. That was the closet for us to win a title and we blew it.

Letting top talent go for low prices to rivals in some cases.

Europa League final defeat, just horrible. the End of season collapse from last season.

Ramsey’s leg break.

Wenger’s press conferences.

3 Likes

i think eduardos leg break was even more disheartening because i feel we could of won the title that season we were really starting to purr and we were destroying opponents and eduardo was looking damn good and that clumsy braindead twat fucked him up and our heads dropped and everything turned to shit.

1 Like

Not a moment of this decade though.
Time flies

2 Likes

2008 is part of the previous decade :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like