Winter Sports -Skiing, Boarding etc

:grin: Same here!

1 Like

Oops

What does one need to ski?
Gear, Ski Ticket etc.
Are there rental options available?

If you say snow, I will kill ya.

Normally you can hire skiā€™s, poles boots and a helmet at the resort.

The clothing, youā€™ll need gloves, base layers, ski socks, a fleece, a ski jacket, some sort of ski trousers and a buff at a minimum. Youā€™ll probably want some sort of waterproof snow boots to walk around the resort in. Itā€™s not a cheap thing to get in to but once youā€™ve got the kit itā€™s only really that one off cost.

In terms of the ticket, youā€™ll normally pay a little more, maybe ā‚¬5 for a plastic credit type card that will be loaded with your pass for the time you want to ski that can usually be used at other resorts.

1 Like

I will ping me in PM for more details later. Thanks for the response :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few more points to add to the already fairly comprehensive one aboveā€¦

Buy a jacket youā€™ll get use from other than just for skiing. You donā€™t need to spend a fortune- I go for TK Maxx bargains around Ā£60, but you can easily spend 10 times that in shops like Snow and Rock if thatā€™s your thing.

Buy decent gloves. Cheap ones are a false economy. Ā£25+ should do the job.

Cheap trousers are fine so long as you waterproof them with a spray. Chances are youā€™ll be spending a bit of time on your arse as a beginner!

Get a couple of sets of base layers so you can wash/ dry them as you go if necessary. Cheap ones are fine even though people will tell you you need Merino wool.

Buy proper ski socks with no seams.

Equipment hire is much cheaper if you pre book. Skiset are good and 50% discount codes are easily found online.

Always wear a helmet. Iā€™ve never rented but plenty do and they seem fine. Think I paid Ā£40 for mine.

Other things depend on when and where youā€™re goingā€¦ Youā€™ll need more mid layers and yellow lens goggles for Jan/ Feb and more sunscreen and sunglasses for March onwards. Go for a high resort with skiing above 2000m. Hotels and catered chalets are more cost effective than self catering in my experience. Donā€™t go to France.

If possible get some lessons before you go. At least so you donā€™t spend your first day just leaning how to put your skis on and stand up.

Iā€™ll let you know if anything else occurs. Probably missed loads.

Snowheads ski forum might be worth a look for you.

Edit- definitely do ski school in resort. Not only is it much better to learn properly in terms of your progress, but youā€™ll meet people of similar ability and probably end up skiing with them in the afternoons.

1 Like

Just go to one of those fake ski slope yokes instead. Save loads of expense and hassle.

Since we donā€™t have a ice hockey thread I guess Iā€™ll put this here. Disgraceful show of PR by the ownership of Chicago Blackhawks here, when asked about future measures taken after the scandal regarding sexual abuse within the club.

Watching some curling here from the Olympics and thereā€™s a couple of lads on the British team wearing just tshirts so I assume they are the Scots. :grin:

Had some relay speed skating on before that. Thatā€™s a fucking mad looking sport.

1 Like

The Winter Olympics are way more fun then the Summer. Especially as a Swede :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Think all the curlers are Scottish.

But yeah the Winter Olympics are good fun, even though we donā€™t usually win anything.