William Saliba (2)

If they loan him again we may as well sell him. We’ll have burnt bridges with his people/camp.

I think giving Luiz another year is insane but Coach Smooth Brain loves him. If we’re serious about this rebuild we need to accelerate it. Why give games to Luiz who picks and chooses when he wants to check out mentally? I’d rather ride with any mistakes Saliba makes just to get minutes.

1 Like

My opinion on the Saliba situation.

There have been rumours of us looking to sign a new RCB. It’s gonna be tough. Good defenders are tough to come by and more often than not you may pay large fees to get a player that could be much worse than what you have already.
This is also huge praise for Gabriel btw who has had a great season so far. Huge future for sure.

Anyway, I don’t think we should look into buying a RCB unless we find some great opportunity in the market.

Currently, I think Luiz, Holding and Chambers are better players than Saliba. I think age is catching up with Luiz so I hope we move on this summer.
So there’s a spot left for a CB to replace him at least to provide us cover. I would like Mavro and Saliba to get a look in the summer and have a proper preseason.
Hopefully, one of them will stay and provide cover and start getting integrated into the team as the season progresses.

I would be OK with the following as our choices for CBs next season.

RCB: Chambers, Holding, Saliba/Mavro
LCB: Gabriel, Mari, Tierney(if we have some sort of injury crisis)

This should allow us to focus on addressing the multiple outgoings we have to sort out in other areas(full-backs, midfielders and forwards) and find suitable replacements for them.

Saliba been like man of the match nearly every game for nice, putting in some incredible numbers for a defender, not sure why we wouldn’t give him a chance here.

2 Likes

Arteta likes simps the prick.

2 Likes

Hang on, is that true?
I haven’t been watching Nice games but from what I have been hearing online is that he’s showing his talent with his ball control and passing but he has also been making mistakes that lead to goals.

Yeah bro check all the after game ratings and stats for defenders in Ligue 1. Saliba is always one of Nice top performers and his numbers are near the top for defenders in the league. Some of it been posted in this thread.

Don’t trust those numbers too much though.
Mustafi used to be king of those ratings even when he had bad games.
From what I understand, those ratings do not capture the full picture when it comes to defending and errors do not have the right weight to affect their ratings appropriately.

1 Like

Sure, sure.

Of course.

8 Likes

So you’re telling me he’s been having a Nice time on loan. :arteta:

2 Likes

I have watched him for Saint-Etienne last season after we signed him. From those matches alone I mentioned he’s gonna have to work his way into being a starter. :joy:
I also mentioned before that my recent concerns since he went to Nice is that every other week Nice concede a goal due to a mistake of his and it makes the rounds on FT. And I don’t even have to watch Nice games to see that.

You’re full of shit. That is what it is.

Shit-Deciding Gooner

1 Like

You cut and patch things to attack someone and get a few likes. Well, I hope it was worth it. :man_shrugging:
Now jog on.

1 Like

I don’t attack people. Not at purpose at least. Just allergic for horseshit when I see it. But I will try to refrain from reacting and let you be you booboo.

Ok, Judge Judy.

1 Like

A head coach with some common sense - would now recall this guy, apologise for the nonsense and play him throughout the rest of the season to bed him in.

League season is over, might as well.

But no lads. We should get ready for Holding and Chambers.

2 Likes

Not sure you can recall outside transfer windows?

1 Like

He would surely be no worse off than Holding who has logged plenty of PL minutes over the course of the season. You’d give Saliba a valuable acclimatisation season in the PL by using him instead also.

2 Likes

No point recalling the lad from loan. He’ll come here, get rinsed a couple of time and everybody will turn on him as well.
Let him finish his season at Nice. Let him make mistakes there and learn without the spotlight.
Come back for preseason and ease him in next season.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t know.

Could you do it before?