William Saliba (2)

Lol at everybody who thinks he’s shit because he’s not playing.

Another loan doesn’t sound out of place unless he’s eager to fight for his place here and doesn’t like the idea of moving back again.

You don’t really have to be good to get a start here and there, especially in the league cup. Never a sign of of quality or lack of it. Arteta obviously wants to make his transitiom gradual, wants to make actual space for his growth as a player. He needs consistent games, and can’t get that in the PL. A good way to prevent future problems.

And we still have 67 CBs on the squad so we wont notice being without him. A 19 year old was never going to transform our back line in his first season unless someone expected that.

5 Likes

Surely he has to be better than Holding? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was back in May and people think it might be his mother who passed.

:sob: we spent 100mill on two players last summer who can’t make the first team of our worst team in decades

12 Likes

30 million and his first 2 years are on loan. This club doesn’t have the luxury of that kind of signing.
Might as well played in that cup final then. Something not right here.

4 Likes

Don’t worry he is.

At that price and then loaning him back for the year I’d hoped maybe we were buying the next up and coming VVD. Or maybe at least a Tony Adams or Martin Keown standard, both of whom broke into the team while very young.

I’d definitely be happy if he turns into a donkey in the Tony Adams (remember the rain of carrots) mould rather than one like you used to see on Blackpool beach.

He will come good.

This is classic OA lol. Everyone on here thought Martinez was shite until he got a run of games :rofl:

Don’t panic yet, what was VVD doing at 19 years of age ? I still think Saliba will be huge mate.

4 Likes

Except me :grinning:

Although I also said that I didn’t think Saliba was the answer to our CB problem, despite a lot of people claiming he was.

The reality is and I’m just rehashing what @Midfield_Maestro said but you cannot rely on a 19 year old defender so giving him more time to grow is sensible. It’s obvious he’s an incredible talent with huge potential but he’s arrived at a substantial cost and with a disproportionately high expectation from some of the fan base so I’m all in support of this.

3 Likes

I’m OK waiting for him to be introduced at a later date, but this is kinda killing me.

Our midfield is literally the worst I’ve ever seen it and we’re scrapping about to improve it, and last summer we spent 100m that is doing literally nothing for us so far this season.

7 Likes

Nah, not really. And regardless of the competition it’s in making your debut against Liverpool wouldn’t be a good idea.

But whatever Arteta does here better pay off in the long run.

2 Likes

Really hope he doesn’t get sent back to France, if he needs experience then surely a mid table/lower prem team or a higher/promotion level Championship team.

2 Likes

Best experience is to throw him in to some of the easier games against lesser opposition - the sooner he acclimatises to the league the better.

1 Like

We’re not being told whole story/situation when it comes to Saliba, so I’d find it difficult to comment one way or the other.

EDIT:

Remember Soyuncu barely played during his first season at Leicester.

Apparently his mum died in May so he’s feeling very homesick and wants a return to France.

Rennes are in the UCL so might be good if he can showcase himself with an excellent season for Rennes and then maybe we can recoup his whole fee or even make a small profit on him next season. I imagine he’ll have like 2 years left on his contract at that point, so could still get some value for him.

2 Likes

Cristo he’ll come back in 2021 and replace Luiz in our back 4.

Trust the process :fire:

1 Like

Probably closer to Gnabry situation. :slight_smile:
Let the boy grow and settle.