William Saliba (2)

I think 120-150 is reasonable, unfortunately other big sharks can easily offer him more

1 Like

I’ll be stunned if we get him to sign on or around 120k.

4 Likes

I’m not sure there are many clubs that would pay that much in excess of £150K for Saliba after one very good season at Arsenal. Dude should follow Saka’s lead and just sign a new four year deal and get a further rise once he has established himself. If he continues to develop, he can become a world class player at Arsenal.

1 Like

I wonder what Fofana gets at Chelsea? Saliba is rightly going to pitch himself above that as he’s better and more valuable to his team.

2 Likes

VVD is on circa £220k a week, Saliba not at the same level yet as prime VVD - so I expect somewhere between £150-180k

1 Like

I’d be perfectly happy with paying him 200k, (but only on the basis that doesn’t have the rest of the squad in uproar demanding payrises)

That’s the problem though, he would. We need to think about Gabriel and White as well in all this, along with Zinny. Saliba deserves a good contract and we want to keep him but have to get the balance right. On football manager I always tried to keep the wages lower by offering a bigger signing on fee…maybe we should try that!

It’s a big problem in FM, but there are a lot of FM things you feel like you could get around in real life.

Like explaining that some of the wage is effectively replacing a transfer fee if we needed to sign someone else.
I think most reasonable people (although that probably excludes agents) would understand that

They would be fools to accept that as an excuse. If anything, you’re essentially telling them running down their contracts and putting the club in a tough spot is the way to get a huge pay rise.

He’s a great young player with potential. But let’s be honest: he’s had just one good season with us so far. If he isn’t accepting an offer which TRIPLES his wages to 120k(which isn’t bad by any means for a young upcoming lad with potential) after just one decent season, then his agent is trying to take us to the cleaners imo.

I think in the case of a talent like this you have to go to at least 150k. If that doesn’t keep him then you have to prepare for the possibility of losing him.

In reality squad dynamics rarely work like “he got x so I should get y”. Every player goes into contract negotiations with their own set of circumstances and the club has to react to that.

I actually think most players end up respecting those who make the most of their positions. There might be a bit of jealousy but it doesn’t automatically lead to issues.

2 Likes

Most of my co-workers make more than me because I don’t have a bachelor’s. I’m not jealous of them. I’m disappointed that I’ve proven my worth and they (the company) feel the need to take advantage of it.

I would imagine it’s something similar to this with teammates.

That’s not really an analogous situation though is it. It’s your employer choosing to value a piece of paper over actual performance at work whereas Arsenal would be valuing Saliba’s actual performance on the pitch. Even Stevie Wonder could see how we collapsed without him there. Dude holds all the cards in the negotiations at this point imo.

1 Like

Try Andrea Bocelli next time, time to let Stevie Wonder RIP

Ok, let’s consider what Saliba has actually done this year.

He was 21 when he started the season, his debut season, straight away played in the heart of the defense, in the toughest league in the world. He played 27 games in the league and for most of them, he was impeccable. There is no question that Gabriel and White had better seasons but they are 3 years older, and have played in this league longer than him. He’s not the finished article yet but you can see how high his ceiling is.

So he deserves a significant bump in his wages and I think he will get it, but not 300K pw or anywhere near that. Even Saka only gets that if we win the quadruple of some shit like that.

I think he’ll sign a new contract eventually, and it’ll probably be around the 150K mark with add-ons, which seems fair, given we consider him to be the mainstay in defense.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/AFCAMDEN/status/1664548270092214273

https://twitter.com/AFCAMDEN/status/1664549378953019392?s=20

https://twitter.com/AFCAMDEN/status/1664549744650190850?s=20

https://twitter.com/Dobbo0107/status/1664558506605793280?s=20

Dobbo in to calm the nerves, thank fuck.

10 Likes

Is he worth a follow?

Would you trust this little shit?

1 Like