William Saliba (2)

Depending, there is a risk he might sign a new contract during the summer, and how many CB are available are as good as him

Yeah that’s a good point.

Although Madrid did wait for Mbappe and ended up looking like total buffoons.

arteta just recently said he wants to stay. I am sure it will get done.

Standard procedure, doesn’t mean that a new deal won’t be signed.

1 Like

None that are currently performing at his level against top competition while also being so young.

Club need to stop fucking about and pay the kid what he wants, or others will

Why do you assume it’s a straight up cash issue?

Less of what the club thinks, what is his agent saying to him

Because our short term competitive level is very good, we’re competing for the title now and will definitely be in the CL next season with a better squad.

He’s obviously interested in staying here hence the ongoing talks but his wage remains the as it was when originally signed. Makes sense for his camp to press the huge leverage hes garnered over the last year into a huge contract.

1 Like

Sure. But it just doesn’t make sense to me that that would be the deadlock… assuming there even is a deadlock.

He signed his last contract as a teenager and maybe things like image rights, sponsors he will deal with and interests he is entitled to outside of official club business, etc are a bit more throwaway at both ends of the table in that scenario than they would be given his profile now.

Like I’m obviously in the dark here but maybe the way it all works is you don’t even discuss money until those aspects are tied down. If it’s just his camp looking for 150 and we won’t go over 100 (making up the figures) then that’s very hard to resolve without one side capitulating. I just can’t imagine that’s how these discussions go. All sides walk into the room knowing the worth and also what the player might attract elsewhere too.

That’s a lot of text considering I’m basically just thinking out loud :smile:

1 Like

Painted a very elaborate picture just by yourself. Bravo.

Mbappe of defending. Sign the ting. 150k a week.

Personally, I always find these triggers worrisome.

Usually when you spend so much time negotiating a new deal and you get nowhere that you have to extend trigger the option to extend that means the club probably thinks this won’t be resolved anytime soon and are probably nowhere near agreeing a new deal. Club is in “protect the asset mode”. There’s no more triggers now.

The Athletic did report that with Saliba it’s a money issue. And that’s what my biggest fear is with this situation.

We are trying to renew so many key contracts. Agents will be trying to get their clients whatever the others are getting or even more.

Saliba gets offered 150k pw? Well, Martinelli now wants 200k pw. Saka then wants 250k pw.

We’re about to hand a lot of fat contracts and I feel like not everyone will be satisfied. PSG and Madrid have been following Saliba for some time, they will have no problem offering him a great deal themselves.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s basically kicking the can down the road.

I think he’s the least likely to renew out of the three tbh.

Just overpay the guy. He’s clearly good enough.

1 Like

Don’t disagree with you. Esp because it’s not my money.

I’d rather use the mudryk money on this guy

3 Likes

I think the problem isn’t that.
It’s what happens if Saliba gets handed a big contract.

Gabriel recently signed a new deal, I assume he won’t be happy if he is the more senior member and earns less than Saliba.
Not sure what wages White is on but I assume he would want a big fat contract then himself.

Fucking contracts, such a pain in the ass…

Reckon PSG will bid in the summer. Could turn his head a bit then he’s out of contract the following summer. Hopefully it doesn’t become a saga.

I feel Saliba doesn’t have the same sense of affiliation as the rest of our young players. If there are any that leave, it will be him.

1 Like

That’s just not really the way it works though. Footballers have their worth and it’s rarely of ever based off what the guy next to them is getting. Market forces etc, I just don’t think this would be an issue.