William Saliba (2)

Umtiti?

Kurt Zouma I reckon would have made his France debut around that age.

Tbf, Saliba has only been called up at this stage. Different kettle of fish if he starts a game.

Wikipedia tells me that Umtiti was 22ish and Zouma was 20ish.

Varane was 19ish and he was a phenom. All 3 were big prospects when they were that age. Bodes well overall tbh

Future of France right here.

3 Likes

Nothing to worry about there

International week.

Slow news days.

1 Like

Not sure about that. Those are quotes from him saying that staying on at Marseille wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Either he’s putting pressure on the club ahead of his contract extension negotiations or he is genuinely exploring his future away from Arsenal.

1 Like

He’s saying the right things as he has been doing for a while. He is happy there for the moment, likes his teammates and manager, focused on his football, it will be figured out in the summer, etc.

There is zero chance he stays at Marseille as it makes no sense for us to loan him again and they can’t buy him due to their transfer ban.

‘‘Saliba on verge of Arsenal exit’’

Click here to read an article with no quotes, no reliable sources and no evidence whatsover to which the title suggests!

4 Likes

And Saliba has suggested that he could complete a permanent return to France. He admits, though, that he will not be the only person who decides his future. “I’ve never hidden the fact that I feel good here. I don’t know what my future holds, there’s still two months to go,” he told French outlet RMC Sport. "The most important thing is to qualify for the Champions League and go as far as possible in the Conference League.” He added: “I think discussions will take place afterwards, at the end of May to early June, between Arsenal and Marseille – we’ll decide at that point. But staying on here would definitely not be a bad idea, on the contrary, I know the city, my teammates, my manager. But it doesn’t depend on me.”

I’m not sure how a legit news site looked at those quotes and then ran with the headline that Saliba “casts doubt” on his Arsenal future. Those quotes are about as vanilla as you get.

Actually, scratch that. I know exactly how they looked at those quotes and then ran a headline like that. It got me to click on the article!

1 Like

That’s what i got too. Id like to see some French sources confirm his interest in renewing with Arsenal.

Lets see how contract talks go. Its a tricky negotiation for the club. Every chance he comes back and tests the waters for 6 months before signing anything

Christ he’s a fucking unit. Saliba, Gabriel and White is an excellent bank of CBs to have.

We’ll definitely be in European competition next year so the three of them will get plenty of game time. Get that contract extension sorted and welcome his big ass home Mikel.

Tchouameni is also massive yet hugely mobile. His ball winning ability is absolutely insane. Another fantastic talent and whoever gets him will be delighted.

3 Likes

There are those at London Colney who suggest the hype around Saliba outweighs the talent; others who feel he has done more than enough to earn a chance to wear the Arsenal shirt. Whether he gets that opportunity may ultimately come down to the manager. How much does he want this player? What guarantees is he prepared to offer?

“My feeling is that Arteta for whatever reason isn’t sold on him,” France-based football writer Matt Spiro suggests. “That might change, given the season Saliba is having. I still believe he would want to play for Arsenal — the question is whether he will get the chance under this coach.”

If Saliba were in regular contact with senior figures at his parent club, who were assuring him of his place in their plans, perhaps the situation would be different. Instead, he does not know where he stands.

Until recently, the prospect of returning to Arsenal without guarantees and fighting for a first-team place was not especially daunting. With a potential 2022 World Cup place on the horizon, however, it may be too great a risk.

This call-up to Deschamps’ senior France squad is undoubtedly great news for Saliba.

It may not be good news for those fans still holding out hope of seeing him at Arsenal.

Interesting read

2 Likes

Kinda just hoping this blows over, we get to the summer, Saliba comes back and Arteta proclaims yet again that he’s key to our plans going forward and he signs a new contract. Constantly being linked to other CB’s and the assumed uncertainty on Saliba’s side is worrying though.

I just don’t see any logic getting rid of him. Say Gabite are our chosen pairing next season, I don’t think there are many options out there that are of reasonable quality and will be able to play that back up role. If there is, we’re looking at it costing us in the region of £30M~. Financially it makes no sense.

4 Likes

He was signed under an old regime, in a risky/sketchy/shrewd deal, and yeah he’s young but all signs point to him at least living up to enough hype that he should get a chance here. The problem is that the club bungled his registration last year which means now the player has all the negotiating power. So Edu may want to cut losses now. I think they have really mismanaged things. Will he be a Cannavaro-Ramos-Baresi regen? Probably not. But he’s better than having Pablo Mari off the bench.

2 Likes

From the people that brought you “Will Aubameyang be playing for Arsenal player.”

Will Saliba play a game for Arsenal? I ask this because of the doubts expressed by Gunnerblog on the Arsecast.

Will Saliba play a single competitive minute for Arsenal?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

The result of the last poll

I voted yes more out of hope on this one. I don’t want to lose a 20 year old French international for pittance.

1 Like

From the player’s pov, I just don’t see the upside to come to Arsenal.

1 Like

I was wrong last time so hopefully I can make it two for two.