Who's Your Football Idol?

Walcott :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

The love of my Football life is Arsene Wenger.

As far as players are concerned the obvious ones for me are Thierry Henry, and actually William Gallas. I was way into the way he played when I started watching and playing myself.

Hereā€™s where I might take a little abuse though. I was a big fan of John Terry. I know heā€™s an ass but I really respected the way he played. Just sticking his face Into someoneā€™s boot to prevent a goal is admirable I donā€™t care how much you hate the guy.

1 Like

Bergkamp
Ronaldinho

I used to play a lot of football as a kid/teen in Sunday league or for the school team. This was from when I was 8 (in 1998) onwards, and because I played centre back, my idol and player I tried to emulate was Tony Adams, Mr Arsenal himself. So growing up he probably had the most impact on me, especially having been there at Highbury at the end of my first season as a ST holder to see him rifle in that glorious goal.

In many ways that was the absolute peak of supporting Arsenal for me. Despite being there to see us lift other league trophies and six FA Cups, seeing Tone stood there with his arms outstretched is the most iconic moment Iā€™ll probably ever see.

4 Likes

Arsenalā€¦Charlie George
Non Arsenalā€¦Colin Bell
The world at largeā€¦Brian Wilson

For Arsenal, there are only 3 players who I have ever loved - Bergkamp, Henry and Ɩzil

In football - let me tell you a little story. So, I was in love with a guy called David Beckham. I was 7 or 8 and a girl, so didnā€™t understand that he played for a team who I wasnā€™t supposed to like. 1998, a guy we now know as a a great football manager - Simione, got Becks sent off. I cried myself to sleep over this. I was seriously devastated. My mum tells this story all the time.

1 Like

Iā€™m quite a newcomer having only watched football for a decade. Fabregas or Arshavin were my first fav players. Now its Alexis/Theo. When i was younger I really liked Torres too. He was immense with long hair though, for footballing reasons I swear.

Ljungberg.

The most handsome Invincible.

1 Like

Arsenal :Charlie George
others : George Best
Life : Mohammed Ali
Music : Bowie

Charlie was a local boy stood on the terraces got arrested at Wolves and was one of us.

Best is the best player Ive ever seen.

Ali showed me how to stand up for myself and others who are oppressed.

Bowie was great and led me to others like lou reed and iggy pop

2 Likes

Henry and Robert Pires.

Outside Arsenal Luke Hodge & Jarryd Roughead but 99 % of you wonā€™t know them :joy_cat:

1 Like

^ Put some respect on Sam Mitchellā€™s name :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Fuck It was tough but I canā€™t have em all or can I ? Just throw in Shaun Burgoyne as well :joy_cat:

1 Like

My Dad. For taking me to Highbury when I was five years old. And for his one season with Bristol Rovers in a time long, long ago.

3 Likes

Ian Wright and Tony Adams for how they turned their lives around. Dennis Bergkamp for having a talent which just wowed me at the age I was when I first saw it. Robert Pires for giving me hours of pleasure :grin:

TMI :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

With his feet of course!

(Wait, thatā€™s not really helping me out here is it ? :smirk: )

9 Likes

Aliadiereā€¦ HA, kidding! Henry
Ronaldo the Fat Bastard

Ian wright, Dennis bergkamp, Kanu, Martin keown, Sol Campbell, Thierry Henry

Rudd gullit, fat Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo

For me (arsenal) would be Pires, Henry and Bergkamp.

Outside of Arsenal Messi

Literally for me thereā€™s too many to even list. Pretty much most of the Arsenal squad from 2000- 2006. I was lucky enough to grow up watching my team dominate with style. Pires was always the player I enjoyed most though, not only was he a fantastic winger (I use to play on the wing aswell, obviously at a lower level :sweat_smile:), but he also had a certain style and swagger about him. Hate how he had to be the fall guy in 2006 :pensive:

Outside of arsenal thereā€™s just as many, maybe more tbh. The ones before my time probably Cruyff, Maradona, Garrincha, and a host of argentine footballers, around the '78 mark mainly.

Since I can remember then Nedved, Nesta, Trezeguet, Iniesta, Villa, and Pique. And Messi, who is for me the greatest of all time.

Not much of coherent list I know :laughing:

1 Like