Who will be the next manager?

PALLLLLEEEEEEEAAAASSEEEE let there be a subtle wink wink nod nod in there somewhere:

1 Like

God, please not Pellegrini. I donā€™t rate him at all. That would be such an underwhelming appointment. I doubt it would even feel like that much of a change!

3 Likes

I would like Simeone, I changed my mind about him, itā€™s boring getting humiliated to Bayern, it wouldnā€™t happen with him.

5 Likes

Exactly the sort of person I would imagine them going for. A safe enough bet - on paper at least. I imagine they want proven, which probably means old.

To be fair to him it was only his last two seasons at City that let him down, my biggest worry is of all the coaches in the world he seems the most Wengerish personality-wise. Heā€™d probably make a positive impact at first but then after a while I could see us falling into the same problems. This group needs someone completely different.

If Wenger leaves last minute and theyā€™re stuck I could live with them going for him but if youā€™re actively looking to replace Wenger for more than a year or two then heā€™s probably not the guy.

But still, even if theyā€™ve met him it doesnā€™t mean heā€™s the only person on the list. And isnā€™t he under contract at a Chinese club? I doubt theyā€™re going to let him break that on the cheap and heā€™s not really the kind of manager that you want to go spending millions to sign.

2 Likes

Would cry if itā€™s true. Sounds like The Sun trolling us though, I doubt Gazidis and co. are that stupid.

1 Like

Stop gap until pep is avaliableā€¦ Wonder where weā€™ve seen that beforeā€¦ Yes,being very flippant :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think people are being too quick to discount Howe in comparison to Wengerā€™s achievements pre-Arsenal.

He took Bournemouth from League 2 to League 1, to the Championship and then up to the Premier League where theyā€™re in their second season playing well and going toe-to-toe with the big clubs and safe from relegation. Hell they gave us a good run for our money and they came back from 2-1 down to beat Liverpool 4-3. That takes fucking bollocks, big bollocks at that. Bournemouth are one of the smallest professional outfits in the league, if not one of the smallest in the whole Football League and Premier League combined, and Eddie Howe has them playing good football and getting good results and not looking out of place in the Premier League.

Sure, Wenger had a good stint at Monaco but then he went off to Japan. Japan! In the fucking nineties! Did they even play football in Japan then?! Thatā€™s worse than going to China for the money now, because China has a shit ton of money and a lot of big footballing personalities and are trying to build a project over there.

IMO Eddie Howe completely transforming Bournemouth and taking them from almost becoming a non-league club to becoming a legit Premier League club beating top opposition in less than 10 years is more impressive than Wenger taking an already good Monaco team to a trophy and a cup and then fucking about in Japan for a while - donā€™t forget Nancy were relegated under Wenger as well. Hell, Howe even won Manager of the Decade in 2015.

You donā€™t just fluke that. You canā€™t fail upwards like that in football, in the Premier League. You can only pull something like that off if you have that X-Factor which I think Howe does.

Honestly I think thereā€™s a lot worse options out there than Howe, even though he isnā€™t my first choice I wouldnā€™t be upset by it. I do however think that Arsenal board are considering other more experienced options than Howe and that he is not in any real contention to manage us.

6 Likes

We hope, but you never know :santi:

I donā€™t think itā€™s about achievements. You canā€™t really argue with what heā€™s done for Bournemouth and I donā€™t even think heā€™s 40 yet (though some people are always going to want a coach whoā€™s won the Champions League or something).

For me itā€™s more that he basically is Wenger. Heā€™s a nice guy, he wants to play good football above all else, he has an enormous amount of trust in his players, heā€™s not great at defending and he can be found wanting tactically.

Regardless of where they are now, Bournemouth is still a tiny club. It would be an enormous jump for him to make. If heā€™s going to work his way up to a job like Arsenal then heā€™s got to spend a couple of years at a bigger club like Everton like Martinez. That or have an amazing season with Bournemouth where they finish in the top 6 or 7 like Tuchel did at Mainz.

I donā€™t think he has that same sort of personality to impose himself on a squad like a young Mourinho did and he doesnā€™t have the pedigree as a player to command respect like someone like Guardiola did as a young coach.

And the biggest question mark over him is the same one I have over Wenger and had over Moyes. Just how easy is it to succeed at a club where youā€™re comfortable? Where youā€™ve signed or promoted every single player in the squad, where youā€™ve probably had a hand in selecting every coach at the club, where you know your job is not under threat just because you mess up a bit and you get the chance to correct an early season dip in form? Howe could get relegated this year and keep his job (and so he should) but other coaches donā€™t get anywhere near that sort of leeway.

7 Likes

Eddie Howe would be an unmitigated disaster, I cannot think of a better example of Arsenalā€™s version of Moyes. Even then Moyes had a consistent PL track record

Howe is so unqualified for the job on so many levels.

Man management.
Poor tactics
Lack of market experience
No top level experience

I donā€™t know how anyone can think heā€™d be able to take this club forward or be an improvement on Wenger

4 Likes

I agree with you and you make some excellent points.

I do think the transition from Bournemouth to Arsenal would be almost insurmountable at his age and level of experience. Heā€™s going to be dealing with some of the richest, most well respected leaders and executives within the footballing world and he doesnā€™t have the experience, age or pedigree as a player/manager to do that yet either I donā€™t think.

I was just trying to point out that Wenger wasnā€™t an impressive hire when he got the Arsenal job himself, given his track record. People in this thread were saying that Wenger was a way more impressive manager in 1996 than Howe is now which I didnā€™t agree with.

Howe is 39 by the way, all the more impressive.

Howe would be a disaster here. Confident that the board wouldnā€™t pick him.

1 Like

http://juventuz.com/threads/40977-Massimiliano-Allegri/page1429

Bottom of this page seems that some fans are worried and think he is leaving because instead of coming out and saying he is staying he keeps on leaving cryptic messages with the press instead of just stating he is stayingā€¦really hope it is true and he comes here.

1 Like

One thing I donā€™t get about Allegri is why would you want to leave a strong talented squad and a credible CL contender for Arsenal?

I canā€™t believe anyone would want Pellegrini, and although Howe is a good young manager, the biggest name player he has managed is Willshere, who is considered not good enough for our squad.
The pressure with a club like Bournemouth is nothing compared to a big club like us.

If we are going to go for someone already in the PL, then Koeman is about the only person we could realistically get, that has proved himself in this league.

Iā€™d rather keep Wenger and keep looking rather than either of those two.

Simeone or Allegri would be more than acceptable, and are attainable.

2 Likes

Koeman is just another David Moyes. Why is he mentioned on here?

Plays organised hoofball and tends to be a regular annoyance to Arsenal, so people overrate him a bit.

4 Likes

Koeman was a great player and did a very good job with Southampton, and has been good with Everton.

Considering the amount of time he has been in the PL, he is a lot better than Moyes, who had some seasons in the top six but a few other seasons in the bottom half of the PL.

I also think Koeman would have more respect from some players as he was a great player himself.

Iā€™m not saying he would be my first choice, but if we were going for a manager who is already at a club in the PL, then clearly we arenā€™t going to get the likes of Guardiola, Pochettino, Klopp, Conte or Mourinho, so Koeman is the next best thing.

Because he wants to come and try himself in English football and heā€™s also never quite been as well respected in Italy as I guess he thinks he should be.

2 Likes

Has said it a few times that he loves Arsenal as a club and if he could ever coach at a club he likes us as one, for what its worth but mind you i think it was said a long time ago.