What was the last book you read?

Went full nerd in Waterstones today as I had some loyalty points to use. Gonna finish the hobbit before reading LOTR and then attempting to tackle these bad boys.

5 Likes

These aren’t proper Tolkien books are they,aren’t they the one’s his son wrote or edited?

So they’re all books/tales originally written but not completed by JRR Tolkien so he basically compiled and edited them into the finished product.

Apparently they’re great and really flesh out the lore of the world in a world LOTR and the Hobbit weren’t able to.

1 Like

Im going have to look into these books then,I would have asked you to give me your review after you read them,but as you said you haven’t read LOTR yet I might have to wait a couple of years lol

1 Like

Well I read LOTR 20 years ago but definitely need to re-read it :joy:

But yeah I’ll let you know! They’re pretty short but from what I’ve heard they’re extremely dense , so once I get around to it I’ll let you know what I think!

1 Like

Started Pillars of the earth. Very good style of writing. Interesting in the forward how this was not universally liked by the critics,
Actually owes its popularity through word of mouth from actual readers.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s great, he’s a fantastic storyteller and moves the story along very well despite it being like 1200 pages haha

Funnily enough it was my best friend and my mum who got me to read it, so I guess the thing about word of mouth is right.

Glad you’re liking it! World’s End is just as good imo

1 Like

Only part way through, but really good so far :fist:

Also got this on the go, for when I need something a bit less taxing.

Finished “the couple at number 9” on Thursday night. Enjoyed it, some nice twists in it aswell

Started ‘A Wizard of Earthsea’ by Ursula K. Le Guin which I believe is in a series of short books. I want to tackle Wheel of Time and some others in that realm but I haven’t read for a while and find it difficult to commit to tomes of 1000+ pages per book :grin:

Nice, short fantasy novels are great right now and hit the spot for me!

2 Likes

Finishing this book on the plane. Kawabata’s skill in writing poetic novels is really admirable.

Tender is the Night (F.Scott Fitzgerald)

A fantastic read. Not very “meaty” in terms of plot (if you’re expecting a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter, this book ain’t for you)

However, it seems that Fitzgerald saved his best until last. It was some way to punctuate his oeuvre.

9/10 (I’d re-read this)

Dr Socrates.
Shout out to @will24 on mentioning about this a few weeks back. Great and fascinating read on one of the games most unique personalities and players.
Reluctant footballer who grew into a world great. Che Guvera meets George Best and hopless romantic who lived by his own rules.
Could never play now with his attitude to training but amazing what he done on raw ability alone.

2 Likes

These are very classically written. Very eerie and atmospheric world building. Have you got through them all? The Tombs of Atuan was terrific imo

Mate, I’ve not even finished this first book :partey:

I get so easily sidetracked when it comes to reading a book. Especially during the week when it’s full throttle busy, you get into bed at a reasonable time and I find it easier (lazier) to watch an episode of IASIP or some other bollocks. Shortly after, falling asleep.

Really need to dig back into it, nothing wrong with the story so far and very easy to follow, even with the depth of characters involved.

1 Like

Finished The Assassin’s Apprentice main series. As frustrating as the main character is, Hodd spins a good yarn. Very fun.

2 Likes

Knew you would like it mate! Honestly one of the best football books I’ve read alonngside Cruyffs one

Such a character that as you say wouldn’t make it the modern game, which is a pity. Interesting how he never quite made it in European football too, but again it’s a different era where it wasn’t quite as easy.

Out of interest where would you place that Brazil side among the all time greats? No world cup but not far off the Dutch 74 team for me

Yep right up at the top. Lacked a striker that team. If Careca didnt get a late injury before the tournament they win it.

The main character Fitz goes on such an incredible journey. The most tragic yet uplifting character, the books are absolutely brimming with pathos.

The Fool is such a brilliantly memorable character too. There are a total of 3 trilogies that involve these 2 characters together (plus two other sets of books that revolve around other characters). The final trilogy and the ultimate ending is well worth the investment (I loved it anyway).

2 Likes

The missus is reading through the rest of the books right now. She’s really enjoying them. I’ll start them soon.

1 Like