What was the last book you read?

Been using Abebooks as a source for seeking books at a reasonable price. Quite a lot have free shipping. Used books are worth it for me as I don’t keep them outside the odd one.

1 Like

Conpletely agree with this. The book is funny enough as is it but him reading it in the style of Partirdge just makes it so much better :joy:

1 Like

Moving on from the war movies in the film section.
Pat Barker Regeneration Trilogy is worth a read or as I’ve just enjoyed the audio version.
Read them a few years ago and always stuck with me. Well worth taking either option.

Let the good times roll. Kenney Jones
Legendary drummer autobiogtaphy of playing In the Small Faces, The Faces and taking over from Keith Moon in The Who.
lot of good stories of being on the road with them bands by one of the best musicians who gets overlooked far to often.
Kenney is one of the good guys and his story deserves to be written and read. Better drummer than Moonie imo.

2 Likes

I’m 4 books deep into The Malazan Book of the Fallen. They average about 1,000 pages each.

This is just fucking insane. I’m loving House of Chains but I’m pretty sure I understand less about the overall storyline and world than before I even knew about the books :joy:

2 Likes

The Paradise Trail_ Duncan Campbell
Set in 1971 as India and Pakistan fight out a war that leads to Bangladesh formation. A group of traveling hippies a war correspondent and free lance photographer come together. Two mysterious deaths among them changes their lives.
Cuts and chases across 3 decades for the outcome. Decent pace and good characters made for a good read overall. Took a chance off a Howard Marks review tbh.

Stuck in a moment (Ballad of Paul Vaessen).

One of the biggest results in Arsenal history was secured by a header in Turin in the 88th minute by this 18 year old lad.
By the age of 39 he was dead from a drug overdose.
It’s a fascinating read but despairing story of a man not able to cope with a dream robbed off him through injury.
Near the end there’s an interview where somebody asks would his life have been better without that goal in Turin.
I’ve been thinking this over for two days now and can’t judge.
Really though this is a story that should be spoken about to every kid entering any clubs academy.
It’s not a pleasurable read but it’s still a compelling read that I got a lot out of.

2 Likes

It comes together in a truly epic, head breaking way. Just go along with it my bro.

1 Like

I just can’t believe I’ve got another 6 books to go :joy:

Utterly amazing. Just been introduced to Traveller and a couple hundred pages ago but no interaction with him whatsoever so far.

2 Likes

About half way through. It really is superb. The chapter describing his Toblerone addiction had me in bits.

1 Like

I’m currently reading Billion Dollar Whale (taking a short break from epic fantasy) and it really is fantastic.

It’s about Jho Low, this low end millionaire social climber who basically conned his way into becoming the investment manager for Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund by the age of 27.

Basically tricking Middle Eastern royalty and funds, Goldman Sachs and the senior political leadership of Malaysia he managed to siphon off more than than £1billion in government funds and went on the most egregious spending spree ever.

He spent £75m over 2 years just partying in Las Vegas alone. And it was years before he got caught!!!

It’s fucking nuts, highly recommend it!!

Don’t you want to find out what happens to Kalam and Quick Ben you heathen cocksucker?

I do but Midnight Tides is all about the Tiste Edur and Laederon and like a million new characters I haven’t met yet, so I figured now was as good a time as any to maybe read something else haha

Did you ever get around to this one? It got lost under my buried list of books I intended to buy! Think now is a good time for me to try get powering through these again!

Started this tonight

1 Like

No I haven’t read it yet, but hey, we have the gift of time ahead of us now.

1 Like

Eric Cantona has a book coming out

Here’s a snippet

Time to start on this

1 Like

Gotta go and watch the Mr. Pigden clip again now.
Hello Ian.:sleepy:

3 Likes

In one of the early chapters a real sliding doors moment as wrighty feels GG wouldn’t have signed Bergkamp if he was still manager.

Wrighty cutting Rioch down with a hefty challenge in a training game is up there with the stories about Toure :grin:

And this

3 Likes

It’s long overdue but I’m about to start 89 by Amy Laurence. That and then My Story by Kenny Samson, trying to make good use of being stuck in doors by getting through some of my books!

3 Likes