What is the outlook for this season?

Looking back at the table last season is pretty bad reading. 4 away wins in the league, christ.

Really big task for Emery to seal up that defence with better coaching and team structure, that’s really the key to securing top 4 in the league.

Honestly our defensive players don’t fill me alot of confidence at this point. So the pressure is on the manager to develop a system which negates their lack of quality.

We just about have enough offensive quality in the 11 to blow away most of the teams in the league. We lack quality depth particularly on the wings though

I don’t care how it’s done, Arsenal have to be playing CL football in 19/20.

5 Likes

I think we will be in the mix for top 4 but ultimately what will decide if we get it or not is the quality of our competitors, I’m expecting us to get around the Mid 70s points wise.

Champions

If we beat both City and Chelsea in the first 2 games i would start to believe.

2 Likes

It’s good because the first 2 games will tell a lot about how the season will pan out.

1 Like

It’s coming home!

1 Like

Win the league. Go big or go home!!

1 Like

70% less fucking about at the edge of the opposition box and keeping the ball for the sake of keeping the ball please.

4 Likes

Torreira loves a long-range shot. Maybe we’ll finally coach Xhaka on it too with Wenger out of the frame? :xhaka:

2 Likes

We haven’t done this in years mate. At least not with any skill. We might actually still be a decent team if we did.

1 Like

Our overall defensive set up is the big concern again this time around.

Then just like Wenger everyone will be like aaahhhh remember when he won us multiple titles but now he is stale WE NEED A CHANGE!

I reckon 5th with a double digit increase in points should be reasonable measuring stick, with 4th being clear “success” and 3rd or better being significant overachievement. I’d also like to see deep runs in FA and Euro with our young talents getting generous game time.

I am going to try to watch as much as possible our u21/u18 teams so I can check out ESR.

Dunno what you’ve been watching. It’s all we do.

Really need to be competing for the league with the players we have.

1 Like

We were 37 points behind last season… competing for title in legit fashion would be minor miracle.

We also couldn’t win an away game for the best part of 2018. If Emery can’t fashion a title challenge with the likes of Auba, Mkhy, Ozil, Laca plus another 70 million worth of reinforcements this summer then we’ve hired the wrong manager.

Did you believe you were watching a real life miracle when you saw Chelsea finish tenth in 14/15 then go on to win it it 16/17? No, of course not because certain clubs should always be aiming for a title challenge every single year. We happen to be one of those clubs even though we’ve been brainwashed into thinking otherwise under the complete ineptitude of Wenger’s later reign.

5 Likes

It is fine to aim there, but it is silly to EXPECT us to bridge 37 point gap. All the teams ahead of us have great squads as well. I can see Chelsea slipping as well as ManU, but Pool look ascendant and Spurs are still damn good.

If you are looking for a way to judge, I think 4th would be modest success. That doesn’t mean I won’t scresm at my TV every week, hoping for us to compete for top, but I wouldn’t put my money on it.

1 Like

He said compete, not win. I don’t think anyone realistically expects us to win the title, but people want to be in the mix.
Also we don’t have 37 points to catch up. The champions in the top tier English league average 87 points since the creation of the league in 92. 100 points was a freak achievement by City and it is unreasonable to expect a repeat. I think it is fair to expect the title to be won on around 90 points.

Anyway, I am playing devil’s advocate here because I don’t expect us to get close. We will finish on mid 70-s imo, with City and Liverpool disputing the title, possible Chelsea involved too. I do expect us to get top 4 though, at the expense of United and Spurs. There is enough evidence to suggest Mourinho will not have a successful year and I simply don’t believe his approach will work, and as for Spurs, their thin squad, the World Cup and the ground switch will all take their toll on their performance in my estimations.

We can debate the measuring stick and the likelihood of City matching 100 again (I agree they probably won’t)… we have been on significant decline points-wise. I don’t see us going from 63 to 87 either. New players, new system, new management. First year it is reasonable to be tempered in our expectation. I imagine we get above 75, maybe 80.

2 Likes