Villarreal vs Arsenal (EL)

Didn’t bother to stay up for this and looks like it was a good decision. Have recorded it but can’t get myself to watch after reading some of the posts here.

Feel the same way my friend. Winning the EL will only set us back another year if not more and I cannot bear the thought of watching the mind numbing shit that is Artetaball for another year. Maybe Emery will do us a favour. Thing is though, Arteta might not get the sack even if he doesn’t win the EL, given the high levels of ambition the Kroenke’s have.

4 Likes

I don’t understand how some people think not qualifying for any European competition is the answer to our problems.

I’ll take the trophy and CL qualification please.

I don’t think Arteta will get sacked either way for the ones hoping that. Even if he did we’d likely get a scrub to replace him anyways.

4 Likes

We can win the second leg 20-0 but the humiliation in the final against United will be harder to accept than Baku.

3 Likes

Has anyone said it was the answer to our problems though?

There is a menu of shit on the table right now. I think whatever keeps Arteta in the job longest is the worst thing on the shit menu. As that involves the club winning a European trophy it’s still something I want.

No guarantees he does go if we don’t win, I get that. The whole thing is a complete mind fuck.

1 Like

Imagine losing the EL final to Chelsea 4-1 and then losing it to Man United as well. Jesus, didn’t think it could get worse than that loss to Chelsea.

1 Like

If. And that is a big if. We get to the final against United. I am certain of it they will trash us as bad as Chelsea did if not worse.

1 Like

Don’t worry mate, we will not win it

1 Like

But I want to! I think!

1 Like
8 Likes

My potential return leg lineup:

Leno
Chambers Luiz Gabriel Tierney
Partey
Saka Ødegaard ESR Pepe
Auba/Laca?

If not right from the off then it’s something we could use in the 2nd half at least if we need to score goals

That’s how the PR machine works. They’ve presented him as sooo exiting and the tactician of the future. This whole video is jerk off material for the elitist Arteta yay-sayer journalists.
At the end of the day people don’t like being wrong. I doubt any of the Arteta praisers would ever admit making a bad call.

1 Like

We have had a goalscoring problem all season. So what do we do? Start with no striker.

13 Likes

It’s not, and I do wish we win, even if it’s just by fluke but the thought of this shit again next season and Arteta talking bollocks in every interview, and us stuck mid-table again is just very boring. Not to mention it pushes us further away from our target which should be to challenge for the league again. CL football next season means more money for us but do you trust Edu and Arteta to spend it wisely? If not winning the EL this season can get us to challenging for the league a couple of seasons sooner, then yes, I think I would forego a European trophy.

Having said that, until the whole structure at the club is replaced, we’ll probably end up with another bad manager if and when Arteta is sacked, which is a depressing thought. So when you think of it that way, maybe getting an EL trophy in the process can’t hurt, but the celebrations won’t last long.

2 Likes

Did you just use a 2012 meme? Fucking noice :poldi:

3 Likes

But he will probably stay no matter what.

It looks like the Kroenkes were the worst thing to happen to the club. Completely asleep at the wheel as conmen run roughshod over their commodity.

Very apt comparison… I remember watching Chelsea win that shambles from a bar in Annapolis and still can’t fathom how they managed that.

Luck and guts is how they done it. Very underrated the first leg win too.

Annapolis, MD?

1 Like

Nah I don’t trust them to spend it wisely and I do share the same concerns as lots of you. I’d just rather see a European trophy in the process and still have that money to spend.

I just don’t buy into the theory that no European football and less money to spend will drive us forward.

2 Likes

@ljungbergkamp Annapolis is a great town. Lived there for a couple years myself.